Programmers for s10 or 4.3 V6

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

curtisb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Programmers for s10 or 4.3 V6

Post by curtisb »

Hey guys, i was wondering if anyone has our has had a programmer or chip on their s10? I've been thinking about trying to get one (not the Ebay specials) but was hoping to heat about some first hand experiences. Only one I've found used in my price range was a hypertech max energy. It was off a 2500 duramax though, so I'd doubt it'd work :nono:

Chips and other plug and programmers are welcome as well.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Programmers for s10 or 4.3 V6

Post by HenryJ »

For what year? 1999-2001 are different from 2002-2004

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
curtisb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by curtisb »

My truck is a 2004, but if anyone has one on any year truck I'd like to know if they like it and noticed a large HP/mpg gain.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Lots have run the Hypertech Power programmers. Don't plan on a big horsepower difference, or MPG gain. I used mine the for shift programming , limiter adjustment and tire size changes.
It might have added a little performance, but if it did it was minimal.
There is no magic HP/MPG trick for the PCM. It does a good job.
For the shift firmness and speedometer correction, the HPPIII was well worth the investment IMO.

My new to me truck runs a BullyDog programmer for the very same reasons. It can read and clear codes as well as the mileage computer. I like those features.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
curtisb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by curtisb »

Thanks for the reply. I get the advantages of the programmer even if it is mainly for shift points, tire and speedometer correction and things like that. It just seems like allot to pay ($370+ from what I've seen) to not be getting a gain in HP and MPG. I wish they could be plugged in do the changes fit tires shift points and speedo without having to stay plugged in all the time. That way one could loan it out for a small fee or some members could go in on one and pass or around. Oh well, I'll just keep my eye out for a used one.
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Just get one of the older Hypertech models. I only paid $120 for my 05 programmer through Summit because they were being discontinued and being replaced by the newer Max Energy programmers which really don't off any more benefits than the older version except for a fancy screen. Some places still stock the older version and I see them on e-bay all the time.

Steve
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Check the classifieds... some of us might be listing some there.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
curtisb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by curtisb »

So quick question. I'd the hypertech model number for an 04 crew cab 30022? I found some on Ebay. I was also wondering of i should have any concerns about buying a used model?
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

If it is used, make sure the programmer is not vin locked to another vehicle. The factory program must be downloaded back to the vehicle it was used on before the programmer can be used on another vehicle. Most companies do this so that one programmer can't be used on several vehicles. As long as you pay with Pay Pal you are covered against buying something that doesn't work.

Steve
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

Question? On tire sizes what options are you given when you input them with one of these programmers? If I was to get something like 235/60R17 wheels and tires would I be able to adjust for something like that?Does it work by exact inches or preset tire sizes? Thanks.
Knowledge has no value unless its shared with others.
Exploration Machine- 02' CC V8 swap. 300K+
Portable Roller Coaster- 07' MKV VW GTI
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

I think they are set to 1/4" increments , so I would just measure the diameter of a mounted tire, probably off the ground so there's no bulging going on, and enter that number. I'll be able to say for sure in a few days after my HPP3 gets here from green02crew. Tracking said it was in Nashua, NH. at 11:58 last night, so I'm holding.
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Horsehammerr wrote:I think they are set to 1/4" increments ...
Correct. The sizes are in inches of diameter. A tape against the wheel, or use the tire size calculator on our site. Your 235/60-17 comes out to 28.102 inches diameter. Get as close as you can and take it for a drive to check the speedometer. If you have a GPS you can use that, or use "dirt" D=R*T. A measured distance and time to determine the rate, or MPH.
Then adjust a little smaller if your speedometer needs to be faster, or go larger if it needs to slow down.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

Aweome thanks guys! What other settings can you program with one of these besides tire size and engine performance? I want to buy one but I would like to know all of the advantages first. Can you change any vehicle operational settings also? Like auto lights or the fog light control or is that specific to something that has to be done by the dealer?
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

ApproachMedium wrote:...Can you change any vehicle operational settings also? Like auto lights or the fog light control or is that specific to something that has to be done by the dealer?
No.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

Ok so what else can be changed besides tire sizes? Do these also do DTC codes too?
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

The operations list that green02crew gave listed DTC so, I'd say it does at least erase codes. We'll see.
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

- ThunderII KE7CSK