My 2003 CC

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

jedthrocornpone
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

My 2003 CC

Post by jedthrocornpone »

Should have just started a thread first. instead of adding to others or gumming up the sight with a bunch of posts.

So I'm:
SFA D30/8.8 going to D44/8.8
Swapping in a 231 w/a short shaft (was originally for a reg cab short bed S10)
had exhaust done
adding 4.56's
replacing the lockright in the 8.8 with a OX
jumping from 33's to 35's
need to finally build some rocker knocker and a rear bumper at a minimum as the new tires don't fit in the fender anymore

might get a custom tune ECM to eliminate the damn door alarm :twisted: that's just how much the "security" BS is pissing me off

need to do plugs and wires and such any suggestions? if I could remember how to resize and attach pics I would post some.... im thinking they needed to be hosted online somewhere and all the pic sights I was using have gone away I think.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: My 2003 CC

Post by HenryJ »

Yup, coppermine went AFK with Bennie and our .com version of this forum.

Plugs= Autolite Iridium XP
Wires= Taylor SpiroPro

:)

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
jedthrocornpone
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

thanks Sir, I will get you info on when I'll be in town. so much work so few days off, not to mention nothing that's a "direct fit" fits directly on..... or nobdy stocks anything but they can get it, and they order the wrong stuff....arrrrgh
jedthrocornpone
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Part Number XP605 on the plugs and a Taylor Cable Part eludes me for a 2003? is it a listing thing where I can choose any 98+ 4.3l and the wires will work?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I would say any of the with the crab cap would work just fine :) They will be a little tight in the 7mm wire looms, but they will go. A few stray seperators are nice to arrange things if you find some laying around.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

What is the d44 out of? What bolt pattern are you going?

We need more pics on here :rock:
jedthrocornpone
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

its from 73 bronco converted to disc, going 5x5.5 ford
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

Did you get a Tom woods driveshaft? I'm thinking about ordering one instead of going to the local fab shop. I don't think they are going to like the length and they don't have a way to balance them.

I'm not sure where the other thread was, but on the exhaust, did the shop take out both the resonator and the cat? I had to cut the resonator out to get the spring hanger on, but I'm going to leave the cat. I've got a 2wd ypipe to use.

And while I'm asking questions.... What did you do for front upper shock mounts? I'm thinking ford style or ruffstuff hoops.

For pics, photobucket is what I use.
jedthrocornpone
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

the TW shaft is clogging my entry way as I type this (my wife is pissed). the local guy was having no part of a one piece, a CV or the 1310's. felt like a used car salesman.

I had a 98 4wd Y pipe that used a 3 bolt flange that I took into the shop. they made the D/S from scratch, cut the flange off(little bummed about that part) and put in a single cat. The exhaust noise was shocking with no cat and the 50 series flow master, stupid loud is my best description. A stock 2wd pipe might not require any adjustment at all.

I scabbed on some ford towers- its ugly but it got me down the road. I'm going to need to look into photo bucket- I thought I had a account there already
jedthrocornpone
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Last edited by jedthrocornpone on Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jedthrocornpone
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Pretty cool piece of steel right there! 8)

- ThunderII KE7CSK
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

It looks great. The MML pics have inspired a lot of people.
jedthrocornpone
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

these are 4.09/4.10 gears I'm kinda shocked at how beefy the 8.8 is
jedthrocornpone
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

I get out of the CC tonight after a long day at work and smell fuel..... I get a reoccurring P0420 code and I'm never really sure if its the locking cap or what... Had a shop change the fuel pump a few months back after realizing that you cant tilt the bed to get to it ( damn pumps under the cab)..... they call and tell me the filler neck on the tank is "cracked and the guys found it like that"

they supposedly epoxied it up then but its a CL1 (wet but not forming a drip/or run) around the neck.... I'm left with limited choices.

overlook it until our trip is done in August (I will be broke for sure at that point)

try to find a JY tank - not likely due to the rareness of CC and the damn thing will probably cracked plastic one too

try a Ebay metal tank- http://www.ebay.com/itm/01-02-Chevrolet ... 35e8eaf0fe over 3 bills not budgeted

buy 2 door Blazer tank and try to replace standard 14gal tank with 19gal tank ..... after trip too, I've got "chevy lean" and I'm thinking a lot has to due with fuel/driver position. I'm not getting any smaller but centering the fuel load might help????

flusterd with plastic right now..... what was the general thinking!!!!!
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

I'll try to remember to measure today, but I was eyeballing the k5 tank the other day. If it will fit where the stock spare is, it'd double the capacity. It's about a 30 gallon tank. Probably have to get creative with the filler though, and I've got no ideas on that as of yet.

Where are you planning to go? And could you post a couple pics of your fender cuts?
jedthrocornpone
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Denver-Mt.Rushmore-Yellowstone..... Will get some pics
LoneWolf04
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by LoneWolf04 »

If you weren't smeeling it before then I'm betting the shop broke it, especially if they tried to epoxy it.
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

K5 tank is approximately 28-1/4 wide and 29-1/2 long. I wasn't able to measure height on the truck, measured someone else's truck, but can get a measurement if you think it'll fit. Haven't had a chance to measure my s10 yet.
jedthrocornpone
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

^back of front
^front of back
^back of back
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

Thanks. Looks good. I'm probably gonna have to lose the flairs.
jedthrocornpone
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Someone one here cut both the fenders and the flares. Sanded and repainted. I think they turned out great.

The holes through the bed side such. I found chrome push in caps that I sanded down & painted( with 3 or 4 extras) 5 years later they are still hanging on
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

jedthrocornpone wrote:Someone one here cut both the fenders and the flares. Sanded and repainted. I think they turned out great.

The holes through the bed side such. I found chrome push in caps that I sanded down & painted( with 3 or 4 extras) 5 years later they are still hanging on
I cut my fenders and ZR5 flares to match . left flares stock Black and they have been good for 4years? now .
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
jedthrocornpone
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Dana 44 was far to close to the oil pan for my liking so I swapped DN30's to one with 4.56 and away we went....1/2 way across the country
jedthrocornpone
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

the old 35's went on some last minute wheels
a ladder rack and a RTT went on
got the wife to pack 1/2 what she wanted and off we drove, 800 mile 1st day to Pocatello ID
off to Jackson Hole WY where they had record breaking lows...28 outside Yellowstone when we woke up, 30hrs later 101 in denver(wife said she was going to sleep in a hotel with or without me.... so we got a hotel)
made it out to the reunion just west of pikes peak outside beautiful Woodland Park CO
It never got below 50 degrees but I brought my "walkingbag" from SELK' so I needed to show the family
we went back up to Denver for a few days, toured the Mint & went to a amusement park. did some work on rigs. stayed an extra day and that was nice.
left there and drove to Durango over Wolf Creek Pass (Which is up on the great divide) and from there headed north to Silverton and Ouray.

IF YOU GET THE CHANCE, DO IT!!!!! amazing country

In Ouray had a big ol bear come and grab our Lays Ruben chips and our baby wipes @ about 3am.... was glad to be in a elevated position at that point.

minus the western slope of Colorado, this was very close to 2 or 3 trips my folks took me on many years ago and I'm glad I got to take my boys, we were pushing pretty hard to make miles most days but all of the high points were hit. hopefully when they are a bit older we will be able to afford a couple more long road trips so they can experience all this great nation has to offer
jedthrocornpone
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

added a rear sway bar mid-trip info can be found here- viewtopic.php?f=15&t=215
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

Looks like a lot of fun. Your truck looks great with those tires. Any pics of the inside of the tent? I'm curious how roomy it feels.
jedthrocornpone
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Here my truck is in the shadows of this 2wd reg cab dodge.

SFA swaps DO NOT HAVE TO BE GIANT

jedthrocornpone
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

http://s1381.photobucket.com/user/S10co ... 5.jpg.html

Hope that^ is a link and not a pic.
jedthrocornpone
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

http://www.cascadiatents.com/Mt-Rainier ... 15&&id=117

Says sleeping area is 72x96 (standard queen is 60x80) the annex feels giant I use a cabelas XL cot under the ladder with tons of extra room will take pics when we go camping
southernzr5
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by southernzr5 »

What is the specs on the first pic? The one with stock wheels. I really like that setup. Also do you have any other pics of the bed rack?
jedthrocornpone
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

jedthrocornpone
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

http://www.tracrac.com/

I got a black TracRac, it's owned by Thule.... it's a universal kit. I cut and retapped the vertical legs and also shortened the cross bars a bit.
jedthrocornpone
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/tra ... ck.294147/ Here's a great thread on fitting the universal rack to your liking.

Individual bits are expensive through Thule, so if there's any doubt.... cut less and test it you can always cut more.
southernzr5
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by southernzr5 »

I was talking about the pic of it sfa with stock jeep wheels. how much lift is on it? I like that it is not huge
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

I don't mean to take anything away from Mr. Cornpone, but here's a link to mine. Some of this is covered in the thread I have here, but the majority is there. A compressed, only important details version is on pirate. All under "stucky' junk"

http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f221/_stu ... nk-687370/

My biggest suggestions would be:

Plate the frame.
Plan ahead. Get as many of the needed parts as you can.
Be realistic on how you want it to end up. Want 40s? Don't buy a d30/35
Don't skimp on steering or brakes.

It doesn't have to be big at all. Everyone thought I was building a monster truck that would be undrivable. I now have a winch, front and rear lockers, more articulation, better approach angle, more belly ground clearance, much much better brakes (one of the best parts of the swap IMO), way over powered steering, bigger tires, and it's not taller than a stock fullsize. I think a 5.7 would be the icing on the cake.
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

I will vouch on stucks power steering. drove the truck when i went out there in august on my vacation and im angry that I did not put the same PS pump in my truck when mine went at the start of the year. Its effortless steering even with that huge axle up front!
Knowledge has no value unless its shared with others.
Exploration Machine- 02' CC V8 swap. 300K+
Portable Roller Coaster- 07' MKV VW GTI
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
southernzr5
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by southernzr5 »

I know this is an old topic, but id you ever figure out your fuel tank? I'm having the same issue with my 2003. it started after I changed the fuel pump. I'm thinking its the rubber filer hose cracked, but not positive.