_STUCKY's junk

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

Built2Bend
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: _STUCKY's junk

Post by Built2Bend »

I am.
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

Alright, I'll fill you guys in on recent changes.

So I took the off rear flares a couple weeks back. They were falling off. I broke like 8 of 10 of the studs getting them off and had to use a grinder to get the broken junk out, which I got into the paint a bit. The flare less look is growing on me.

Last weekend, we were planning to head to washita (ohv park by Farmington mo) but for some reason they weren't going to be open and we went to moonlight racing (Sullivan mo) instead. Friday night, I lost a tailgate cable (one was already toast). I only got about 4 hours of sleep that night. I left the house at about 7:30, got to the park a little before noon, made some ham and cheese sandwiches wrapped in foil and put them on the engine, aired the down to 16 psi, and we headed out.

About 1 my buddy asks the leader in a group of jeeps if we can follow and go down this:

See the chunk hanging out on my driver side? Yea.... So I came down that on a less than favorable line and this happened, approx 1:30:

It got into the door pretty good. So my buddy's walk up to assist me and as I backed up and off the rock, my door fell open. Grab the handle and pull it and promptly rip my door panel in 2+ pieces.... So I grabbed my phone charger and tied the door shut on te b pillar to get down. We did what we could, slammed it shut and kept on going. Here's how it looked after I got down:

It's not *that* bad lol. Worst part is I think it kinda tweaked the brackets that the bushings and pins go through. I replaced them yesterday and had a local body shop work their magic with a tool they have. It seems to shut alright now.

Anywho, that was the worst of the carnage from Saturday. I bashed the front bumper and got the rockers on the pass side a little too. I think I took it pretty well, although I'd have rather not smashed anything lol.

Here's some other random pics:

The only other real exciting situation I had was this, trying to back down, it pitched over... Let's just say I was puckered for sure. Pics don't do this (or the ones on the stairway to the moon trail) any justice on the angles:

And I'll throw this one in too cause I don't think I've posted it yet, this was after I finished my bed and rock lights:

I'm probably going to head to the local mud park either Saturday or Sunday, probably not both. In 2 or 3 weekends, I got some buddy's planning to head to Attica. And I think it's 4 or 5 weekends I have a couple other buddy's planning to head to washita. I'm really enjoying this truck. It turns heads, it gets attention, it drives great (I got about 22 mpgs on the interstate going to moonlight racing!), it climbs great. I do wish the suspension was more flexible though cause it seems to really enjoy lifting tires. I do not regret the axle swap for a second.

:wave:
Built2Bend
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Built2Bend »

Wow good thing it looks like the tree only got the front door.

I wish I could do a solid axle swap. Your truck is my inspiration.
Keep it up
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

It was the rock ledge that got into the door.

So yesterday me and my buddy with the xj went to the local mud park. Watching the idiots and the circus is worth the price of admission. They don't have a lot that I enjoy, but they are close to home. We always seem to end up playing on the chunks of concrete, which makes the mud guys scratch their heads. But I scratch my head when they knowing drive into mud and water that just swallows trucks, so who am I to judge lol.

Anywho, pics:

And, of course, I had to do a bonsai drop into the mud after a guy on tractors tire bombed through..... I almost had it lol

It drove great there and back. I pulled our trailer to my buddy's place, swapped it his truck to pull the xj. Got a lot of compliments on the truck. Had a guy with a well built mud drag s10 come over almost immediately and ask questions.
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

My buddy with the xj is trying to get a group of Midwest wheelers to meet up at The Badlands in Attica Indiana for Labor Day weekend (sept 4-7 weekend). I encourage anyone and everyone to come. Bring your 4wheeler, your wife's SUV, your moms van, hell I don't care. They have a nice family friendly campground with showers and shitters and enough varied terrain to keep any level of rig/driver happy. PM me or ask here if you want more details.
Built2Bend
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Built2Bend »

I would like to go but I don't think my truck is offroad capable enof. . . Yet
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

Bah! It's plenty capable. You'd be suprised what it'll do in stockish form. Stay off the rocks, stay out of the water, and I'd bet it would do great. If you really do want to go, as of now, I'm not sure I'll have any riders, maybe the girlfriend but that's not a for sure thing yet.
Built2Bend
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Built2Bend »

Thanks for the offer but it looks like I'm going to a demolition derby the 7th. And knowing my dad we'll be geting the car ready Saturday and Sunday to go.
Plus I'm in charge if building and taking my nease and nephews derby power wheels
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

I have been really wanting a longer pitman arm. But.... I procrastinate.....

I intended to call partsmike last week about this:

http://www.partsmike.com/index.php?crn= ... how_detail

But....

I didn't....

So I got out the tape measure today. My knuckles are ~7.5 in. center to center (balljoint to tierod holes). My wagoneer fsj pitman arm is ~6.75 in. Center to center. I read on pirate (from someone from partsmike) that as a general rule of thumb you want the pitman arm to be ~90% of the knuckle length. A little math tells me I'm spot on, but driving it tells me my turning radius is horrible. So, with the pitman arm that I linked, drilled at 7 in. long, will be 93.3333%. It has to be better.

I'm ordering it tomorrow, unless someone knows something I don't. I really don't need/want any drop, just flat.

Edit: I suppose just to toss a wrench in the cogs, I had my buddy with the xj measure
Pitman is ~5.5, knuckles ~6.5, so 84.6%. I don't get it. I know he turns sharper.

So, question.... Could my narrow and deep backspaced wheels be killing my turning radius?

And a fresh pic from Saturday:
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

Well... No dice...

The guy I talked to said that the longest they can ream it with the taper I need for my draglink end is 6.75 inch. The same as my waggy pitman arm. So no gain. He also told me you want it at 90% and I should be getting all I can out of what I have. He said about the only thing I can do is run hi steer arms with multiple holes and have the tierod closer to the balljoints. I don't really have room for hi steer, let alone getting a raised pitman arm.
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

Hey guys. I don't know if anyone is still paying attention but I'll update anyways....

S10 is working fine. I have some parts on the kitchen counter that I hope will get the steering fixed (ie turn lock to lock). I plan to get some longer spring packs built for the front this winter to hopefully get a better ride. I got an electric fan out of an intrepid also and plan to have the ecm tuned to control it. There's a few other minor things on the to do list but nothing major.

But I think I finally decided what I'm going to put all my good parts into. It should have been obvious to me years ago.... My yj! I found out that I don't need to move the front spring hanger at all to bolt in a gm Dana 60 so that's the route I plan to go. Plan is dually width Dana 60, Dana 70 with srw 14 bolt hubs to match the front's width, northwest fab Eco box doubler with the np241 with sye behind that, I haven't fully decided what motor trans I'm going to run yet. I could mount that all behind the stock 2.5/ax5, and I may to get rolling quicker/cheaper, but really I think I want to go 4.3/4l60e out of a wrecked 01 blazer that I have. There's a guy on pirate that sells a standalone shifter setup, and I would like to either have the stock engine harness trimmed down to the basics (would love to learn to do this myself and save some money) or go propane. I would like the entire setup to be as simple as possible, but I am not a fan of carbs. I could go tbi 5.7/700r4 but I like the sounds of the manual control that the standalone 60e setup gives.

Nothing is set in stone yet so the motor trans combo is still kinda up in the air. Tcase and axle setup is pretty much a go though, I just need to inventory some of my junk and liquidate the stock piles so I can start buying parts. I told my buddy I only need parts for 4 projects or less :lol:

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Narrowing down the projects sure makes them come along faster :)

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

Here's what I plan to do with the 4l60e:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/chevy/18 ... ntrol.html

And a more ghetto fab version:

http://youtu.be/ozbWf_QsPrw

I don't fully understand yet, but am very willing to learn. I would like the transmission to shift in this pattern: p r n 1 2 3 4, so I can go from 1-r without going through 4 3 2 to get there.
Built2Bend
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Built2Bend »

You said you don't like carbs but want it easy maybe you could look into throes electronic carbs? It's a fuel injecting carb that is controlled by a computer but most of them I believe are self leading you install it all and butler start driving and the computer will learn by it's self.
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

No I havent really looked into them. The 2 options Ive been thinking about is sending the computer to get tuned and the harness trimmed down by this guy:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/motor-tr ... -life.html

Or figure out how to trim it down myself, which I was trying to find info on and was coming up kinda empty handed.

Or propane, from this guy:

http://www.gotpropane.com

To do propane, I'll need an intake that bolts to the vortec heads and has provisions for a carb.

I'd say this will be quite the learning experience for me. Motors and trans are not something I feel comfortable diving right into blind. Transfer cases, axles, leaf sprung suspensions, yea I understand those. To tell you guys the truth, I'd actually rather build a buggy from scratch but I don't have the room to do it. I think that a buggy from scratch would be easier to build off of because you could put things where you want them and don't have to work around something. I plan to put up a small shop at my house within the next 5 years or so, so hopefully my buggy plan doesn't fizzle out by then.
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

I've been trying to round up all my parts that I plan to use that I already have. I have the axles pulled and cleaned and at my house. I ordered front brakes from lugnut4x4 , going to go 3/4 brakes up front. I actually can't replace the stock stuff or just order his brackets and get the rest locally cheaper, and it drops like 41 pounds. I have rotors and wheel studs waiting at napa for the rear, I have the hubs swapped and found a pair of wheels so I can roll it around. The rear is getting weld on brackets so that can happen later. I have part of the front clip off the wrecked s10 and most of the harness pulled. I also realized I have all the parts, minus the shaft and adapter setup, for a 203/205 doubler. My 203 came from a th350, so 27 spline like 700r4/4l60e, my Chevy 205 has the 32 spline short input, and I have an old dodge that had 32 spline outputs front and rear. I pulled all that, cleaned it, torn down the 205, ground the shift rails for front wheel drive, put in the big outputs and a 241 vss tone ring and put it back together. I still plan to do the Eco box setup for the lower double low in this project though. Anyways, plan is to get the axles together, then get motor/trans/tcases all together then tear into the victim and drop it all in. I want to have as much ready to go as I can before a tear down. Found out with my axle swap in the s10 that I could have been a lot more prepared.

_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

Made a little progress. The brake kit came for the d60 yesterday so I put it on. I wasn't sure if it would work with the dually hubs, which use bolts instead of studs to hold it together. Perfect fit though, I'm happy.

_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

I was really hoping to give another update with pics but I have an order from ruffstuff that's back ordered and have no idea when it'll get shipped out. I'm not really in a hurry though so it's all good. Ordered disk brake brackets for the Dana 70 (3.25 inch weld on brackets), top plates for the Dana 60 spring perches, passenger side high steer arm and a stud kit for it. I was waiting for a sale, and ordered during the Halloween 20% off sale.

_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

So I plan to use a drw 60/70 for my next project. Ive been trying to sell some parts to make way for new parts. So my buddy had a guy come up today to buy my artec trussed 4.10 geared exploder 8.8 setup sua for a Yj. I didn't want to leave it sitting in the dirt so I planned to swap the 70 in. Take out the 8.8, roll the 70 under and then realize, whoa wait a second, I don't have to cut off and move the mounts, so I rounded up the rest of the d70 spring plates and such and bolted that sucker in! The front is *supposed* to bolt in as well but I don't have enough parts to make it happen yet. So, what I learned today, 79 1 ton gm dually axles bolt in to an 87-95 jeep yj. Who'da thunk it?

Anyways. Went from this 8.8, which I think turned out super clean:

To this, sorry for the terrible pics, I used a potatoe:

I will do something different eventually to get the ubolts facing up or use the ubolt eliminator that I planned to use. I'm sure pinion angle isn't even close to were it will need to be. But I didn't have to move the spring pads and that just made my day. This is going to be one wide sob, that's supposed to be a 38 on the red wheel. Hopefully I'll be slinging the d60 next weekend.

That's a 79 gm Dana 70hd with srw 14bolt hubs for anyone that's counting.

In other news, I forgot to add in last post that I replaced a rear wheel bearing and seal on the s10's 14 bolt. And I have a neighbor that bought a crew s10, also black, with intentions of "coping" mine, but he has asked me if I want to buy it. Perhaps this spring.... Perhaps..... I'd love to build another differently than I did my current s10. I actually tried to buy that one, and also a red crew, to swap the 44/14 into.
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

So the truck got new main leafs in the front this week. I had a shop make some 2 inches longer on long side, center pin forward 1/8 inch and 1/2 inch more arch. They are in and shackle angle is much better and ride is much better, I'm happy.

Last night I swapped in efans. Now I have an antifreeze leak that seems to be under/behind the ac pump. It doesn't appear to be leaking from anything I messed with though so I'm scratching my head on what happened. It almost seems like it's seeping between the intake and the head.

Whatcha think? I probably won't have time to mess with it until Monday.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re:

Post by HenryJ »

_STUCKY wrote:...It almost seems like it's seeping between the intake and the head.

Whatcha think? I probably won't have time to mess with it until Monday.
Bingo. time for intake gaskets :)
Ge the good ones with the green IIRC. Should be several threads on the recommended gaskets as well as the procedure. Happy Thanksgiving :) :eat:

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

Ha the little green guy didn't leave much for everyone else.

Alright. I'll get to reading when I get a chance. Thanks HJ! Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours as well! :wave:
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

So I'm down to the distributor and the intake manifold. What all should I replace while I'm this deep? I don't think it has been this far apart yet (approx. 105,000 miles currently). I am thinking intake manifold, water pump, and valve cover gaskets, rotor for the distributor, and possibly a new water pump. Anything else I should pick up?

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Thermostat and look at the fuel pressure regulator :D

- ThunderII KE7CSK
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

Thanks! Thermostat should be good to go, I replaced it with the one you sent me with the alternator. Not sure what the fuel pressure regulator is, but I will know soon. :D
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Fuel pressure regulator: If it is under the intake manifold, might be good to replace it while off. If it is external, then no biggie to replace if it fails :)

- ThunderII KE7CSK
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

Yea my mechanic buddy agreed, change it while I'm there. I've got a hard start issue, he said that *could be it. We have been suspecting the fuel pump, hopefully it was the regulator. Fuel pressure regulator is a pricey little booger, Napa charged me like 63$.

I've got it mostly back together. Distributor is still loose, he had me grind on the hold down bracket so it can be adjusted slightly. I took a sensor out of the top plastic cover and tore the rubber, went to the junkyard looking for another and was looking in wrong spot, needless to say, I didn't find one haha. I ended up with 3 little nuts left over, going to look at the wrecked blazer I have and see what studs I did incorrectly. Radiator needs put back in, but I want to secure the Efan to the radiator better before doing so. Other than that, hood, air cleaner, fluids, take to town for timing, and not sure if anything else. I'm almost done.

My phone has been acting up. I want to post pics of the new leaves, but photobucket and this iPad aren't cooperating. Shackle angle is much more usable. I've only got like 10-15 miles on them so far. It's an improvement, but I don't yet know how much of an improvement. I finally got the rest of the steering parts from ruffstuff for the yj as well, hopefully in a week or so I'll have the 60 under it.
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

Newest addition is the blazer roof rack on the top.

Here's the new leafs vs old leaves. Shackle angle was the goal. Old on top.

With these new leaves, I had them put the center pin 1/8 inch forward, which put the d side tire into the slightly mangled bumper (bumper got tweaked on pumpkin smasher at moonlight racing). I've been hunting a non mangled non rusty black bumper. The light bar was bolted to it, and I don't have the wiring for the new (used) intrepid efans figured out yet, so I repurposed the light's wiring to the efan.
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

It's been slow around here so here's an update. Nothing major. Yet.

So my steering had been feeling a little loose. Started looking and noticed that the draglink end that goes into the pass side tierod wasn't fully seated, which kinda egged out the hole and scarred up the stud. Replaced all 4 ends and have an alignment on Saturday. When replacing them, I put in a high angle draglink end and had to shorten the draglink about 2 inches becuase the high angle end was longer.

Rabbit on s10forum showed everyone a steering box mod I had not seen yet, removing a little spacer and grinding on the end cap. So I did that to the extra box I have, drilled and tapped it for hydro assist, and rebuilt it. I have no idea yet if it works, fingers crossed. I might get it put on today or tomorrow, we'll see.

I have another tiny antifreeze leak. I think it's either the water pump or I messed up the gaskets for it.

I haven't had the computer tuned yet, but I need to. I planned to have the computer run the fans, and I keep forgetting to turn them on when I get in and off when I get out.

Gm door bushing suck moose balls. This time I used a bolt, some washers, a nut, and a socket big enough to fit over the door bushing to pull them in straight. Last time I used a long (ratchet) extension as a punch to get them in. Anyways my door is still tweaked. Hell in 3 or 4 years it might not even have doors anymore, I don't know. :evil:

The jeep hasn't made any progress. I had a guy about 3 hours from me that was going to sell me some waggy springs but he seems to have backed out. I was waiting for those springs to swap the d60 up front. Once I find a usable pair, the 60 goes in and a draglink gets made and it's a roller. I have the high steer arm on the axle and the tapered insert for the high angle draglink end in it. The extra astro box is going on the s10 to make sure it works, but I plan to put that on the jeep. That box also got a waggy pitman arm with another tapered insert for the high angle draglink end.

I plan to swap some used 4.10 gears into the van, it's 3.73 stock. It needs all the help it can get.

The motor/trans from the wrecked s10 donor for the jeep is getting close to being ready to pull. I think just starter wires, o2 sensor wires, trans and tcase wires, and the mounts is all that's left. Ive just been picking away at it here and there when I have time.

Also I have probably mentioned it before, but really feel I should get the Comanche running and thrash it this summer until it dies. It just looks like so much fun sitting there, all mangled, air in the tires, and no place to go. I firmly believe it's some stupid sensor somewhere that is keeping it from starting.

ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

Oh look i got an email notification from this site finally after two years. LOL good to hear the progress update.
Knowledge has no value unless its shared with others.
Exploration Machine- 02' CC V8 swap. 300K+
Portable Roller Coaster- 07' MKV VW GTI
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

So after that last post, I had a bit of carnage. I swapped all those ends for the steering, had it aligned, everything was nice.... Until I slid into a ditch and bent the frame. Had it pulled out at a body shop, and it seems fine but I feel I can't trust it. Anywho, the reason for this post is I had more carnage a few nights ago. I had loaded up a tire right before dark to take home. Should have taken it out when I got there because over night it exploded. I had the topper on and it mangled things. So, I am on the hunt for another topper, preferably black, preferably within a reasonable driving distance.

Here's some pics:

Bent frame:

Also these got mangled:

Straightened:

And here's the bed/topper, it blew the window frames out of the fiberglass on both sides and the front:

I forgot the pic size is limited. To see the full pics, click on them and it should take you to my photobucket album.
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

Thats crazy. I guess you wont be leaving tires in your truck overnight anymore lol
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

For the last few months, as time and money allows, I've been tinkering on the yj. I currently have a "clampy" inspired build going, YouTube "Toyota clampy" if you don't know what I mean. So currently, 95 yj, 2.5/ax5/241d/drw gm60/d70hd. My brother had some 38s on 20s that I put on to roll around. I ended up with stock wagoneer springs soa in front, lift wagoneer springs sua in the back. I had to move the rear shackle mount to the bottom of the frame, but it's level with stock shackles all around. The 241d is out of a 91 1/2 ton, I had to swap the input from my Comanche into it to bolt up to the trans, but no adapters. That gave me passenger side drop to match the gm 60. I put the typical 80s 3/4 ton 4wd front brakes all around, and used a master cylinder from a 2000 dodge truck and an adjustable proportioning valve on the rear lines. The guys on pirate claim "Kung fu brakes", and I'd say that's pretty accurate. My steering box got drilled and tapped for hydro assist and a wagoneer pitman arm, than ruffstuff pass side high steer arm and draglink, still stock tierod for now. 5th gear got fixed, common problem is there's a snap ring or c clip or something that holds 5th gear on the mainshaft. Well several years back I bought a clamp made to fix that and finally put it in while everything was apart. Driveshafts will be a shortened front xj cv shaft in the rear (actually from the mj, same thing though) and I believe the other was from one of the wagoneers (not sure, was in my pile of d shafts). For now I will be running a strap style front tcase yoke but would prefer a ubolt style. It also got a Taurus fan, hollister road relay setup, and a kill switch that lights up bright red when it's off.

That mostly covers where it currently is. I have been trying to follow a theme of "can I do this with what I have and will it work?". It has been pretty damn cheap so far. Splurged on the brakes and steering, but those are important. I currently plan to keep the super amazing fire breathing blue smoke belching 2.5L 4 banger of fury. Eventually I intend on putting 7.17 gears in the axles. That just has a nice ring to it to me.

So as short and wide as it is, it turns ridiculously short. It is at 90 inches outside of tire to outside of tire, you could even call it 91. For comparison, my s10 is 71 inches. Yesterday it finally came out of the shop, got washed, and today will be getting hauled down to get the dshafts measured and shortened. After that, the exhaust needs redone (tcase currently sits where the muffler was). Then there's a few odds and ends like swap in some grade 8 bolts, fluids, possibly a steering pump, shocks, probably more, but it's almost drivable under its own power (not done, drivable). So here's some fresh pics:

5th gear clamp doodad:

Steering:

Tcase:

And finally, it sees daylight:

ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

Looks like fun
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

It's mobile! I drove maybe 8-10 miles, ending at home. There are issues.

ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

Oh boy!
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

Hey brule and Anthony, I think I need help with some wiring. Or at least just a double check.

So the Yj. I had bought a used hollister road relay setup from a guy on pirate. When I got it you could see where the plastic blocks that hold the relays had been hot, this may be where the issue is, not sure yet. It's getting replaced either way. From the relay setup, it goes to a new, as of, i don't know, maybe 5 years ago, but never used, Mercury cougar fan (mark viii, I think). I wired it up so that the relays are triggered by a wire in the fuse box that's key switched, then I put another lighted switch on the dash to turn it off if needed.

So on my test run the other day, drove around our shop for a little while, all was well. Decided I may as well drive it home. Get there and drive around my yard for a while. Started smelling something funky, popped the hood to see smoke pouring out of the fan motor. Flipped the switch ASAP, and pulled the harness out of the motor.

Did some reading, saw that people are using Volvo fans, which have a relay setup on them already. Well the junkyard had one last time I was there. But they have scrapped it.... Argh! But, they had a cougar with the same fan I smoked.... So.... Here I am.

Question is, can you guys show me a decent diagram on how to wire this up? I'm not looking to use both speeds, just low, no temp sender, and I want it switched with the key, with the override switch. I'd like to just use regular ol automotive relays (I believe I still have at least one of those relay blocks from behind the glove box in the 90s Chevy trucks that I originally used to make the rear wiper switch turn on the bed lights)

I am fairly certain that I originally had it wired correctly, and a little later on after I dig into it, I'll post up how the relays are currently wired. I'm not sure if the problem was the used relay setup, a junk motor (worked fine every time I tested it), the switch I used for an override, or what. I'm trying to keep this very budget, but I can buy what I need if I need other stuff.
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

So I had it all planned out. I drew up a diagram to copy the relay setup to show you guys. About drove my self nuts trying to think of how I messed it up. I spent a large part of today on Google. Well, I finally went up there and was looking everything over. Turns out the fan I got from the junkyard is a 1 speed fan and the wiring at the plug is different. I can only assume that I had the old fan hooked up wrong at the plug. The new fan works wonderfully, I let it run for a good 30 minutes or more, and no smoke.

So... I think it's fixed.

ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

LOL Sounds like it. I was going to say, the fans in my S10 are two speed but i just have them tied together on both speeds to two contacts, a postive and a negative. They are attached to a super high current relay, which is triggered by my computer (or a switch if you wanted) and the relay is tapped off an open fuse that was in the S10s fuse and relay box under the hood. Basically all you need is a fused battery postive thru the relay to the fans and some kind of low current switch to close the relay. The key is having a relay thats strong enough to pass the inrush currents of the fans kicking over from a stop. The relay i have is a 80 amp with a huge coil. When it kicks over, you can hear it thunk inside of my cab.
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

This setup has a 50 amp fuse, 3 automotive relays, then the ground goes through the switch I have in the cab. The relays are supposed to be wired in a way that when the high circuit gets power it cuts the low circuit. I just have the 1 circuit wired, the 2nd circuit has the trigger wire wrapped up and zip tied off to the side. I'm pretty sure this fan is only 1 speed, and I don't intent on putting temp sensors in. This thing moves some air for sure.

So today I finished up putting the new fan in. Had to trim the shroud, swap the brackets I made, and rewire the plug. After that I planned to pull the alternator and the throttle body, I spotted what's supposed to be 136 amp alternator and a bigger throttle body in a grand Cherokee at the junkyard. The stock alternator I believe is supposed to be 60 amp. Both are suppose to be a direct swap. But.... Before I did pulled those, I felt I needed to take a drive through the pasture. I thoroughly enjoyed myself. It feels very stable on a side hill. The brakes are amazing. Steering isn't that great (hydro assist in the planning stage). Needs gears pretty bad. It got around pretty good considering the tires suck and the gearing is terrible and my motor apparently isn't a fan of having oil pressure, but hey I didn't get it stuck. I did however blow a seal out of the steering box, should be an easy fix.

Built2Bend
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Built2Bend »

What's going on with this?
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

Not too much really. Around Halloween I ordered jagsthatrun 4.3 to 2.8 motor mounts and a kks1826 radiator. Neither has showed up yet. Last week I reminded both of them. Other than that, I've just been trying to keep salt off of the s10. Took it out in our pasture to cut some firewood recently. Spent about 4 days cutting hauling and splitting wood. I did get a cool find for the truck though, but haven't gotten it yet. So I think it was earlier this year, maybe late last year, but a neighbor had bought a black crew, and planned to "copy" my truck. Well he traded it for a tj to a local kid. So, ran into that kid recently, he's looking at mine and I'm looking at his. I was like oh cool you have the weathertech (or whatever it is) molded rear floor mat, and he's like yea wanna buy it? Well I do, but didn't have any cash! So, next time I see him I'm buying that sucker! He didn't really seem to want to sell/trade rear seats or sell his driver door panel haha (that truck is leather)

As for the jeep, my steering box issue ended up being a worn (pitted) pitman shaft. I had parts to fix it from an s10 box but had kinda forgot where they were so had to go buy another junkyard box, only to find the parts later. Oh well, I drilled tapped and modded that box too. I'm getting good at that process. The day before I started messing with the firewood, I was bored and hadn't really tested the steering yet, so took the yj out to the pasture for some abuse. Ended up out there for several hours with no major issues. I did order a power steering cooler last night, which I think will help. The fluid was getting a little frothy and puked a little.

If it doesn't display the whole pictures, click them. The last pic you can see my new spare tire.

ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

LOL i love the spare. Looks like youve been having fun. Glad to hear the power steering is fixed.
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
okaussiee
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by okaussiee »

I see you have a BadLand winch on the front. What size is it, have you used it yet and what do you think of it??

I have a 12000lb on my 02 CC and have used it very little. I do like it and it was cheap..

Bill
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

The badlands winch has been on there a few years, and I have used it, but the jeep has been down for like 4 years. I haven't had any trouble with it though. Without looking at anything, I want to say it's a 6 or 8000 pound winch. The jeep is pretty light though. My Gpa has I think a 16000 badlands winch on his gooseneck trailer, we don't use it often but haven't any trouble with it when we do.
Built2Bend
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Built2Bend »

If you don't mind Let me know who makes that floor mat when you get it I Dident
Know a company made one for a crew.
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

I believe it is a weather tech but I don't think it's made anymore. That's the only one I've ever seen first hand.
okaussiee
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by okaussiee »

It is Weather Tech. Some people have tried to use it on other versions of the S-10 but it won't work due to the floor configuration in the passenger front floor board.

I am thinking about getting them too.
okaussiee
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by okaussiee »

I just checked the Weather Tech and they still carry the front mats for the 4wd version.

.2002 Chevrolet S-10 Pickup _ Floor Mats - Laser measured floor mats for a perfect fit _ WeatherTech.com
Built2Bend
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Built2Bend »

Ya I know weather tech makes Fronts. But I want a rear I was hoping maybe some other company made them
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

Wouldnt the rear from a blazer fit? it cant be that far off.
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
Built2Bend
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Built2Bend »

No because the blazer ones are made to go under the rear seat slightly. there is no where for them to fit under are rear seats. I've seen people make them work but they have to pretty much cut the hole back off the floor liner, and by the time you do that what's the point of even having it.
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

Ah thats true, the Blazers have the drop and fold seats, the CC does not. Nobody really ever sits in the back of my truck so i dont really mind not having them back there. For the few times people do, ill be happy with the factory carpet mats that somehow are still like brand new after 300k lol
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
Built2Bend
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Built2Bend »

Lmao when I got my crew I Dident get any floor mats. Ok back to stukys projects. Sorry for the floormat hijack
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

We can keep talking about floor mats if you guys want, I don't mind haha

I still haven't gotten my motor mounts from jags that run or my kks radiator yet. Both were ordered in October. I haven't had any funds or ambition to do anything to the yj.
Built2Bend
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Built2Bend »

Lol. I haven't done anything to my truck for a while. I've been building a zombie s10
http://i.picresize.com/UJZH

Next I'm Gonna mount the machine gun
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

Ive just been driving my s10. The main focus now is the rust bucket jeep.
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
southernzr5
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by southernzr5 »

I know huskyliner used to make one for the rear of the crew. I had one in my old crew cab.