Gas Mileage

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

smokinjoe
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Gas Mileage

Post by smokinjoe »

Does anyone else get the kinda mileage i do... i get about 220 230 to a tank city driving,i only drive about 20 miles a day so i dont fill up very often but i was just wondering if this is normal.ive got a tonneau cover on so i know it helps a little and im sure my tires kinda eat some so i figure i am back to about stock mileage. id figure for an s-10 id do a little better
"Aim towards the Enemy." -Instruction printed on US Rocket Launcher
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

I only get 260-280 per tank city driving -- course I have a blazer and I'm not sure what size the tank is, but the 2004 Chevy Blazer spec sheet for the 4 door 4x4 lists it as approx 18 gallons.

I do find it funny that the Blazer is a 2004 vehicle, yet you don't see any on any of the local dearler's lots.

Especially with Chevy producing a 2-wheel drive ZR2 for this season -- why the effort to make a new model for a vehicle that should be phased out soon?
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
Crew02
Crew
Crew

Post by Crew02 »

I drove home from Richmond VA this afternoon. I filled up in Richmond, and 305 miles later rolled into my driveway flat on "E" with the low fuel light stareing at me. Too tired to stop. :lol:

It was interstate all the way tho, not a good benchmark.
[size=75]2002 Crewcab - Best Mod XM Radio, 2" Body Lift, 30 X 9.5 BFG Long Trail, Factory Locker, T-Bar Crank , Rear Shackles. ORI PreRunner Bar, Hella 500 Lights.
1990 Jeep Wrangler, ARB lockers front/Rear, Winches Front/rear,4" suspension Lift, 2" body lift, 35" BFG Mud TA's, Geared 4:56.
Amateur Radio Operator KC4-IKR[/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

sounds right, you got 3.73 gears?
try a lighter foot and not going over 55mph :D
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
melloyellow
Webhost
Webhost

Post by melloyellow »

a2b wrote:sounds right, you got 3.73 gears?
Without the above is their any way to increase the milage on these trucks? I would like to force it up to 20mpg. :D
[size=75]2003 Yellow S10 Crew Cab ZR5: SuperLiner, PA192 Lift, 3 Leaf Kit, Bilsten Shocks, Yokohama GeoLander A/T + II, ARE IIsi Tonneau Cover with Wing[/size]
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

melloyellow wrote:
Without the above is their any way to increase the milage on these trucks? I would like to force it up to 20mpg. :D
Add 50 to your mileage before you pull out the calculator. :mrgreen:
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

AZS10Crew wrote:
melloyellow wrote:
50?
lord, he's only a bit off. i might add 15miles tops...how did you come up with 50?
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

melloyellow wrote:
intake and exhaust.
the best intake is the K&N FIPK2
get a good exhaust. flowmaster.....
then get a HPIII
then run light road tires...
run electric fans...(big HP gain)
dont run a/c
take off body lift :lol:
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
Crew02
Crew
Crew

Post by Crew02 »

Ok, I filled up this morning, and it took 15.4 gal. At that point milage was 310, so 310 / 15.4 = 20.12. But most of that was at 75- 80 miles an hour.
[size=75]2002 Crewcab - Best Mod XM Radio, 2" Body Lift, 30 X 9.5 BFG Long Trail, Factory Locker, T-Bar Crank , Rear Shackles. ORI PreRunner Bar, Hella 500 Lights.
1990 Jeep Wrangler, ARB lockers front/Rear, Winches Front/rear,4" suspension Lift, 2" body lift, 35" BFG Mud TA's, Geared 4:56.
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

a2b wrote:
AZS10Crew wrote:
melloyellow wrote: Without the above is their any way to increase the milage on these trucks? I would like to force it up to 20mpg. :D
50?
lord, he's only a bit off. i might add 15miles tops...how did you come up with 50?
Just a random number... :) It would increase the mileage though. :)
[size=75]Mark
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

AZS10Crew wrote:
a2b wrote:
AZS10Crew wrote: Add 50 to your mileage before you pull out the calculator. :mrgreen:
50?

ooooohhhhhhhh :lol:
i thought you were bringin up the fact that he has 30's and that his odometer doesnt show all the miles he's actually putting on his truck
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
Crew02
Crew
Crew

Post by Crew02 »

Nope, odometer is correct. Reset with the Hypertec Programer.
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

a2b wrote:
AZS10Crew wrote:
a2b wrote: 50?

i thought you were bringin up the fact that he has 30's and that his odometer doesnt show all the miles he's actually putting on his truck
Nope...just a quick and easy way to increase your mpg. :mrgreen:
[size=75]Mark
smokinjoe
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by smokinjoe »

a2b wrote:
AZS10Crew wrote:
a2b wrote: 50?

hold on here,with bigger tires and not reseting the speedo does that mean that my odometer isnt reading incorrectly,i know the speedometer is off,but i didint think it would affect the odometer
Jim

Post by Jim »

melloyellow wrote:
Tail Wind
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
Crew02
Crew
Crew

Post by Crew02 »

Yes, if one is off, they both are off.
KYLE
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by KYLE »

What grade gas are you using? i have 3.73s too, and run 91 octane gas and get 300 miles a tank on average!
[size=75]2003 PEWTER GMC SONOMA CREWCAB, 1.5" SPACERS![/size]
KYLE
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by KYLE »

Crew02 wrote: Yes, if one is off, they both are off.
He's right bigger tires makes for less miles. :)
[size=75]2003 PEWTER GMC SONOMA CREWCAB, 1.5" SPACERS![/size]
smokinjoe
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by smokinjoe »

i can see how speedo will be off but distance doesnt change

and i have 3.42 i must be maniac then when it comes to driving :x
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

Lol --sorry

Your truck doesnt use GPS to measure distance -- that mans that it has to gauge the distance traveled from the speed that the tire reports.

Lets say your stock tire rolls 4 feet forward for every one revolution of your axle. (I'm making that 4 feet figure up.)

your truck is programmed to know that that one revolution equals 4 feet forward in distance. so that way your truck's computer can count the # of revolutions of that axle and tell you how fast you are going, and how far you have gone. Speedometer and odometer are calibrated and all is well with the world.

Now you move up to a 31 inch tire from your stocker 28's. A larger circumference means the tire will cover more ground in one full turn of the axle. Lets suppose now one full turn of the axle covers 6 feet.

Without recalibrating, your truck has no idea how far forward it went, all it knows is that your axle turned over one turn, so it thinks you went 4 feet, when you really went 6.

1 mile = 5280 feet. 5280 / 4 = 1320 -- this means your truck knows that if that axle rotates 1320 time , that it has covered 1 mile. The computer in your truck tells the odometer to add one mile every 1320 rotations of the axle.

The problem is that with your 31 on your truck actually covers more ground in those 1320 roations. 1320 * 6 = 7920 feet traveled, or 2640 extra feet (Half a mile), when the truck thinks it has only gone 1 mile.

If these numbers were true -- and I bet they're not too far off -- then that would mean if you drove 300 miles by your odometer on the bigger tire, you will actually have covered 450 miles distance.

Clear as mud?
Last edited by adrenalnjunky on Wed Oct 15, 2003 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

Distance does change. For example...when the speedo shows 80 mph, but you're actually going 85, that means in an hour you'll travel 85 miles...but your truck thinks you only went 80 miles in that hour. The truck bases the speedometer and odometer on revs in the tranny (or is it engine?). A certain number of revs used to take you a certain distance, but when you put on bigger tires (meaning greater circumferance...meaning greater distance traveled with each revolution) that same number of revs is taking you a greater distance. That means your odometer is reading less miles than the truck is actually traveling. That's why the computer needs to be recalibrated for different tire diameters.

Edit: Duplicate posts. :)
[size=75]Mark
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

Ok--so I did the math -- results werent as drastic as my example,

But a 28 inch 235/70/15 has a circumference of 7.33ft - the 3's is 8.11 feet for a 9.4 inch or .78 foot difference per revolution

this means if you drive a distance that is geographically 100 miles apart without recalibrating from a 28 to a 31, your odometer should tell you you only went 78 miles.

At least that's the figures I come up with -- I never was a math geek.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
melloyellow
Webhost
Webhost

Post by melloyellow »

I have done the HyperTech upgrade so my speedometer is correct. I get 15 mpg in the city and about 18 mpg on the highway. I would like to find ways to boost that up. I would be excited to see 18 and 20 instead.
[size=75]2003 Yellow S10 Crew Cab ZR5: SuperLiner, PA192 Lift, 3 Leaf Kit, Bilsten Shocks, Yokohama GeoLander A/T + II, ARE IIsi Tonneau Cover with Wing[/size]
Crew02
Crew
Crew

Post by Crew02 »

I would have thought you have gotten better than 18 mpg with that lid. Have you checked it since it was installed? Also, I run 93 all of the time. I'm on a car allowance from work and they pay for all of my gas. :D

Just wondering? , what altitude do you run at? I was just wondering because I have a friend that I work with who drives a Dakota CC. We were down in Houston TX working a few weeks ago and he had driven down from Denver. He was really stoked because his truck had alot more power in the lower altitude and his gas mileage increased. He said that when he gets into the higher altitudes the power loss is noticeable.
melloyellow
Webhost
Webhost

Post by melloyellow »

Crew02 wrote:I would have thought you have gotten better than 18 mpg with that lid. Have you checked it since it was installed? Also, I run 93 all of the time. I'm on a car allowance from work and they pay for all of my gas. :D

Just wondering? , what altitude do you run at? I was just wondering because I have a friend that I work with who drives a Dakota CC. We were down in Houston TX working a few weeks ago and he had driven down from Denver. He was really stoked because his truck had alot more power in the lower altitude and his gas mileage increased. He said that when he gets into the higher altitudes the power loss is noticeable.
I run at about 100 feet above sea level. That is with the lid and all mods listed to date. Filled up on Saturday and then on Monday. Do a lot of running on the weekends.
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

ya the wheather plays a big role as well...humidty, heat, altitude....ask and drag racing geek....

i bet brule has his own barometer and wheather station statalite hookup to some sort of laptop thingy when he goes to the track
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

a2b wrote:...ask any drag racing geek....

i bet brule has his own barometer and wheather station statalite hookup to some sort of laptop thingy when he goes to the track
I do have an air density gauge, altimeter, barometer, humidity, temperature, and wind speed gauges at the track with me, but mostly used a Casio Pathfinder watch and the flag on the timing tower ;)

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

HenryJ wrote:
a2b wrote:...ask any drag racing geek....

I do have an air density gauge, altimeter, barometer, humidity, temperature, and wind speed gauges at the track with me, but mostly used a Casio Pathfinder watch and the flag on the timing tower ;)
:roll: :lol:
[size=75]Mark
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I usually figure that my HenryJ runs about .1 sec for every 1000 ft drop in adjusted altitude.

Denser air contains more oxygen , allowing for more fuel to be burned, which creates more power.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

HenryJ wrote:I usually figure that my HenryJ runs about .1 sec for every 1000 ft drop in adjusted altitude.

Denser air contains more oxygen , allowing for more fuel to be burned, which creates more power.
wow...

so down in louisiana, i just go by the beads of sweat on my face. if i have 2, then humidity is around 70, 3, 80...and so forth...a full 100percent humidity will slow down the car a good 1/2 second sometimes...
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\