FRS radios

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

FRS radios

Post by HenryJ »

I finally bought the last two of these in my area , as X-mas gifts :thumb:
Radio Shack is clearancing them for $9.99 (discontinued model # 210-1850)

I really like mine :) . They plug into the power port, all the controls are on the mike, and it has a mag-mount antenna.

We have been using the FRS (Family Radio Service) radios more than the CB for car-to-car communications on trail rides and Geocaching runs. The hand held units are small and easy to carry, communications are clear and privacy channels allow for many choices to avoid traffic.

These units will be nice since I will not be wasting batteries while traveling and the external antenna offers a greater range.

I also have three Motorola hand helds, one X-act FRS/GMRS, and an old pair of GE radios.

I would say that the Motorola's have been the best for battery life and performance, though Tach's X-act FRS/GMRS works great too (Walmart clearance $2 :mad: should have bought all 10 of them! )

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

Nice external ant. Midland had a FRS with external ant. as well. I have a few FRS as well. The Audiovox I have eat through battries fast(handhelds). I also have a Memerex FRS when they first came out and it's very good on battery life.

We tried on our local runs here to get people to use FRS but since most people had CBs, we gave up on the FRS units for CBs.

But for 2bucks, I would have got a few FRS just to give as gifts.

I have not seen that FRS at the shack but that would be a great solution since it has an external ant. and runs on car power as well. Sweet find!

Con
[size=75]2007 Hummer H3 all Stock
Sold: 2004 Chevy Avalanche Z71 all Stock.
Sold: 2002 Chevy S10 Crew Cab ZR5 - Mods: Truxedo Bed Cover, APC and TYC Lights.[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Conman wrote:I have not seen that FRS at the shack but that would be a great solution since it has an external ant. and runs on car power as well.
You have to ask for it by the part # 210-1850 since it has been discontinued most stores do not even have the left over units on display. Two local stores still had them in the stock room though :)

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
2bunik
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2bunik »

I finally bought the last two of these in my area
:shock: thanks for the heads up henry j :lol: j/k I aint a radioo type of guy .. Thats a good buy :thumb:
[size=75]TARMAC TRENDZ car club
2003 GMC Zr5 maroon or somethingto it.
Two 10s in a custom box and Pioneer Premier 400w amp, Quad mod,Body lift, bed light.
http://www.tarmactrendz.vze.com/[/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

never heard of that FRS...

in january i had a cb and was still left out of conversations...
not by FRS's....every body had HAM"s in their trucks :cry:
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
Crew02
Crew
Crew

Post by Crew02 »

I've had my Ham licence for almost 15 years now. It is really a must if you too far off the beaten path. If you need help cell phones are ok, but their not that reliable once you get off in to no mans land. And when your in the mountains a CB drops back to line of sight. Having the 50 watts of a Ham rig and being able to hit a repeater and go for several hundred miles is a comfort. I used to be the president of the Carolina Trailblazers back when I was riding a lot, and we always had 9 or 10 hams with us when we rode and they always seemed to come in handy.
[size=75]2002 Crewcab - Best Mod XM Radio, 2" Body Lift, 30 X 9.5 BFG Long Trail, Factory Locker, T-Bar Crank , Rear Shackles. ORI PreRunner Bar, Hella 500 Lights.
1990 Jeep Wrangler, ARB lockers front/Rear, Winches Front/rear,4" suspension Lift, 2" body lift, 35" BFG Mud TA's, Geared 4:56.
Amateur Radio Operator KC4-IKR[/size]
2bunik
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2bunik »

HAM's ? Image
Two 10s in a custom box and Pioneer Premier 400w amp, Quad mod,Body lift, bed light.
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

Crew02 wrote:I've had my Ham licence for almost 15 years now. It is really a must if you too far off the beaten path. If you need help cell phones are ok, but their not that reliable once you get off in to no mans land. And when your in the mountains a CB drops back to line of sight. Having the 50 watts of a Ham rig and being able to hit a repeater and go for several hundred miles is a comfort. I used to be the president of the Carolina Trailblazers back when I was riding a lot, and we always had 9 or 10 hams with us when we rode and they always seemed to come in handy.
I've been meaning to get my lic. Just never seem to do. :(

Con
[size=75]2007 Hummer H3 all Stock
Sold: 2004 Chevy Avalanche Z71 all Stock.
Sold: 2002 Chevy S10 Crew Cab ZR5 - Mods: Truxedo Bed Cover, APC and TYC Lights.[/size]
Crew02
Crew
Crew

Post by Crew02 »

Now that they have dropped the Morse Code test for the Tech license, it is easier than ever to get your license. They have computer software with the test pool of questions on it that you can take. When you get the wrong answer, it will show you the correct answer. You can learn the material in just a few days with the software. I'm studying for the General Class license now.
[size=75]2002 Crewcab - Best Mod XM Radio, 2" Body Lift, 30 X 9.5 BFG Long Trail, Factory Locker, T-Bar Crank , Rear Shackles. ORI PreRunner Bar, Hella 500 Lights.
1990 Jeep Wrangler, ARB lockers front/Rear, Winches Front/rear,4" suspension Lift, 2" body lift, 35" BFG Mud TA's, Geared 4:56.
Amateur Radio Operator KC4-IKR[/size]
2bunik
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2bunik »

what does HAM stand for? :?
kwalsh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kwalsh »

2bunik wrote:what does HAM stand for? :?
i found this page:
http://www.geocities.com/the_loaded_dog ... help1.html
[size=75]"Pain = weakness leaving the body."[/size]