dana 44

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

dana 44

Post by Justin »

I think I'm going to start a project in which i don't know what I will do but I would first like to start with a set of axles.

here is a 1963 jeep j300 with dana 44's front and back. I'm looking for something similar just for the axles to rebuild

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 2445722004

question is.. do dana axles come at different lengths? for instance if i decide to keep them and do a SFA on the crew, would they fit or if I were to lets say do a sfa on a fullsize 1500 or 2500, would the still fit? I know they would fit if I custom built a frame for them....
[size=75]05 Sierra LLY "Silver Bull"[/size]
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

I think Dana 44's are wider than our axles.

Some people shorten them...some leave them full width. It all depends on your application.

On a somewhat related note...have you guys seen the new Nissan fullsize pickup? It's got Dana 44's front and rear (IFS up front). From what I've read, it seems like a very solid truck.
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

they come in different sizes...check the width to see..just email the guy about it
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
Bad_Ass_S10
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Bad_Ass_S10 »

Hey, dana 44's come in different sizes but try to look for jeep parts they are a lil wider but not by much, my sfa is only like 2.5" wider than stock , I looked at the pics and one thing u much think about is that the jeep on ebay has the pumpkin on pass. side so you will have to change t-case, warn and myself have the same front ends - even from same yr and model jeep and our cases are on divers side so we can run stock t-case for now, do some research on dana 44 (like I did ) and you should come up with a few trucks that will work and I have a web site that will give you casting #, model , year and vehicle that you can find 44's

if you choose to get 1500 running gear than it will be wider but no stronger, my front end has 30 spline axles just like the 1/2 truck with 44's, just keep in mind that sometimes the older you get the weaker the parts, some old jeeps with 44 came with a 16 spline that was weak and the newer they got the stronger they become, ford had a 44 in the old broncos but they used coil springs so if you want a 4 link than go with the bronco it already has the coil retainers welded on but if you want leaf springs than get a 44 that came from a leaf sprung truck.[/url]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

look for a 72 to 78 ford truck. 44 and 9"with the right width...its the most common swap for the s-10 cuz everything fits....

or some 70's full ton ford vans came with 60's with 35spline axels....
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
Warnoffroad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Warnoffroad »

a2b wrote:look for a 72 to 78 ford truck. 44 and 9"with the right width...its the most common swap for the s-10 cuz everything fits....

or some 70's full ton ford vans came with 60's with 35spline axels....
if your going to a d60 or 70, you may as well step up to a 2.5ton. They're only 100lbs heavyer, they come in all kinds of widths, and they are 3 times stronger. But if you dont want to go too big, a d44 and 9" is a awsome combo, will hold 38s easy. thurday I hit some hills HARD, and the truck felt great, my tires never touched the fenders :D
[size=75]02 ZR5 CC, SFA D44 front, D60 rear, 40" IROKs, np200 2nd t-case. SOLD
05 F-350 CC FX4 Diesel, 7" lift 37" toyos, 14.18 1/4 mile ET[/size]