problems in the cold

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

problems in the cold

Post by Justin »

well, its been around 10 degrees during the day and negative numbers at night sometimes close to 30 below with the windchill...

problem is, whenever I steer to the left, i hear a pop. Never heard this before. About a week ago, it was so cold that 4wd didn't engage and I am wondering if something is stuck or maybe I have a bad cv...or maybe I should just wait until spring comes
[size=75]05 Sierra LLY "Silver Bull"[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Popping and crunching during cold weather is not a real big concern. You should see the size of the icicles that are forming on my truck from the cab and engine heaters!

Moisture gets in between the springs , freezes and make terrible noises when they move or flex.
Much the same for all the frozen places on the front suspension. Things should quiet down after the spring thaw.

BTW, we are on our way to getting another 6" of snow here today :D

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Justin »

we haven't seen any measurable amount of snow since the 2' snowstorm in early december. Weird weather. It was 50 late december now single digits and too cold to snow for 3 weeks now..
[size=75]05 Sierra LLY "Silver Bull"[/size]
Mike H.
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Mike H. »

Darn that sucks! A brief low of 39 here last night, but warmed up to 69 today, over 70 tomorrow.........
[size=75][url=http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mikeh3235/lst?.dir=/&.src=ph&.done=http%3a//f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mikeh3235/lst%3f%26.dir=/2002%2bGMC%2bCrew%2bCab-Spacers%26.src=ph%26.view=l&.view=l]Yahoo Photo Pages[/url]
(previous) 2002 GMC Sonoma Crew Cab
(now) 2004 Nissan Titan LE 4x4 Crew Cab[/size]
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: problems in the cold

Post by Conman »

Justin wrote:well, its been around 10 degrees during the day and negative numbers at night sometimes close to 30 below with the windchill...

problem is, whenever I steer to the left, i hear a pop. Never heard this before. About a week ago, it was so cold that 4wd didn't engage and I am wondering if something is stuck or maybe I have a bad cv...or maybe I should just wait until spring comes
Last year I had an issue engaging 4wd. This year, I leave it in 4wd at night so if I do need it, it's works, It never seems to stick in 4wd, only when going from 2wd to 4wd. Also, just about everyday, I switch it between 2 and 4 just so it's used and does not "freeze-up". Did not have an issue so far this year with it not engaging even though it's much colder than last year. My Mom's 02 Suzuki 4x4 is not engaging so we are taking it to the dealer cause it's does not even appear it's even trying to engage. It's amazing how much you need 4wd just to get out of a slippery parking spot. I don't know how people who own 2wd trucks here in NY make it.

Cheers,
Con
[size=75]2007 Hummer H3 all Stock
Sold: 2004 Chevy Avalanche Z71 all Stock.
Sold: 2002 Chevy S10 Crew Cab ZR5 - Mods: Truxedo Bed Cover, APC and TYC Lights.[/size]