s10 in all the mags lately

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

s10 in all the mags lately

Post by Conman »

It appear most of the truck mags have been talking about the s10 lately. I think this is one reason Super Lift is looking into the s10. Most mags keep stating there are tons of them out there plus they are a good deal to purchase. Offroad mag May 2004 has a write up on the 6" Superlift kit on a ZR2. Def. 2wd s10s get alot more coverage than 4wd s10s but it appears the 4wds are getting there. I can't believe how many lowering kits there are for 2wd s10s. If this worked for our trucks, I would love to get it: http://www.ridetech.com/productinfo/airbar.asp Too bad it's only for lowering. :(

Esp with gas prices going up, keep the s10 crew is def. a better option for me. Plus the money savings over buying a new truck, I can pay for mods now. Glad the crew is paid off!

Cheers,
Con
[size=75]2007 Hummer H3 all Stock
Sold: 2004 Chevy Avalanche Z71 all Stock.
Sold: 2002 Chevy S10 Crew Cab ZR5 - Mods: Truxedo Bed Cover, APC and TYC Lights.[/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

i have been saying it for a long time. the s-10 in the future will be a very popular choice for building trail rigs like the toyotas are right now. they will come with a very desired engine and tranny, esp the vortec. then just SFA it with whatever and run 35's. or if you want to go bigger, then upgrade to 60's and have at it. chunk the body and cage it
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

a2b wrote:i have been saying it for a long time. the s-10 in the future will be a very popular choice for building trail rigs like the toyotas are right now. they will come with a very desired engine and tranny, esp the vortec. then just SFA it with whatever and run 35's. or if you want to go bigger, then upgrade to 60's and have at it. chunk the body and cage it
I've already seen some write up with an article on best cheap rigs for build ups. S-10 was on of the ones at the top. But that's if you are ready to fab stuff and go SFA. S-10's have a great frame, just need a good front axle setup is all. S-10's will be around for many, many years after they are phased out. Maybe that's when all the good stuff will come out for them.
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

quickbiker wrote:
a2b wrote:i have been saying it for a long time. the s-10 in the future will be a very popular choice for building trail rigs like the toyotas are right now. they will come with a very desired engine and tranny, esp the vortec. then just SFA it with whatever and run 35's. or if you want to go bigger, then upgrade to 60's and have at it. chunk the body and cage it
I've already seen some write up with an article on best cheap rigs for build ups. S-10 was on of the ones at the top. But that's if you are ready to fab stuff and go SFA. S-10's have a great frame, just need a good front axle setup is all. S-10's will be around for many, many years after they are phased out. Maybe that's when all the good stuff will come out for them.
and whats funny is....as much as the zr2 people are snobs about thier zr2's being better than a reg s-10 (joke) in the years to come, when its time to build trail rigs out of 2001 model s-10's. zr2's will be avoided like the plagues cuz there frame is too heavy :lol: and its wider wich will take away leverage from the springs...then you are forced to fab even more and inboard
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

I've always figure ZR2's to have identical frams. Only thing different is mountings and tabs for the leafs and front end, other than that, no difference. But I can be convinced if you have proof. :?
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

quickbiker wrote:I've always figure ZR2's to have identical frams. Only thing different is mountings and tabs for the leafs and front end, other than that, no difference. But I can be convinced if you have proof. :?
well shooot, i could be wrong, but i do know that there frame is not boxed. it is taller, thats where they get part of there "lift" and it thought it was wider. but mabey not wider, just talller and heavier. the zr2 wieghs more than a reg s-10
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
jarhead
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by jarhead »

This is what the zr2 site has advertized :)

RPO ZR2 only full ladder-type frame with modified suspension mounting points which provide:

100mm wider track (3.9 inches wider than regular S-10)

Three-inch suspension height increase

Enhanced front (7.25" ring gear) and rear (8.5" ring gear) axles w/ 3.73:1 rear-axle ratio

Larger wheel and axle bearings

31 x 10.5R-15 LT/C black wall off-road tires (BFG A/Ts on pickups and BFG Long Trails on BlaZeR2)

46mm gas pressurized Bilstein Monotube shocks

Rear axle track bar (pickups) / rear sway bar (BlaZeR2)

Wheel flares (black on S-10 pickups and BlaZeR2 / body-color on Sonoma pickups)

33mm (early model) / 28mm (late model) front anti-sway bar

Skid plates
2001 pewter crew She's for sale
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

I know in the rear of the ZR2's all they did for the lift is drop the leaf spring mounts to gain the extra height. Not sure about the front though. I think the frame dimensions are the same, just engineered differently than ours.

Are they built in their own separate plant or are they built on the same line as other ZR2's? That's going to be the best indicator...if it shares a plant, then it basically shares a platform cause GM surely won't invest in a dedicated plant unless the product is totally different.
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

quickbiker wrote:I've always figure ZR2's to have identical frames. Only thing different is mountings and tabs for the leafs and front end, other than that, no difference. But I can be convinced if you have proof. :?
The frame rails are identical , both in widths and heights. The differences are in external mounting points for the suspenson and body. (2001 Helm's specifications, and GM database)

The boxed frame is not specific to the crew. ZR2's have them too. It is a model year specific issue. Older models had the "C" frame.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

ya zr2's are made at the same plant and line that ths s-10 is on.....all the zr2's i wheeled with had the C frame while i had the boxed frame. and i swear theirs were taller :? now i have to go investigate
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
Retep
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Retep »

What part of the frame is boxed and what part is C?
My frame is boxed from the front all the way back to somewhere around the leaf perch then it is C.

Pete
[size=75][url=http://photobucket.com/albums/v179/retep910/S10/]2002 S10 Ext. Cab 4x4 Indigo Blue[/url]
Extang Black Max Tonneau, Rubber Bed Mat, Vent Visors, Bugflector II, SilverStar headlights, Dark Window Tint, Disabled DRL, Debadged, K&N Filter, Skid Plates, 1.25" Rear Wheel Spacers, Boise 3 aal kit, mild T-bar crank, Dueler A/T Revo[/size]