Thinking about an extended warranty need advice

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

noah

Thinking about an extended warranty need advice

Post by noah »

I'm thinking about an extended warranty for my truck I put on about 24,000 mi a year and am getting close to the factory warranty expiring. I'd like to keep this truck for another 3-5 years. When I checked with my dealer they would sell me a 5 year 100,000 mi Chrysler warranty for $1500 or a GM warranty for $2500. Both cover the same things and the deductible is the same $100. I am concerned about buying a Chrysler warranty for a GM vehicle though the dealer tells me that is not a problem and that Chrysler simply uses a corporate credit card to pay for all work the GM dealer deems necessary. Does any one have any experience with this? Or advice to offer (like I have to ask that on this forum). Based on the build quality of my tuck I think it’s probably something I’ll need.
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

How much longer are you planning to keep the truck? Extended warranty doesn't really increase resale value. So, unless you're planning to hold on to the truck for the extent of the extention... it's $1500/$2500 better spent elsewhere in my opinion. Besides, s-10crewcab.com is the only warranty anyone really needs. :wink:

Although, I may be somewhat biased. I haven't had any major issues in or out of standard warranty period. Wiper module is a pain in the neck but, it's $200 to replace at dealer. Hardly worth a $1500 warranty extension.

If you're set on definitely buying an extended warranty, shop a round a little. There are MUCH better deals than that available. *hint: you don't have to buy it from a dealer.

Good Luck.
Retep
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Retep »

I have been considering this as well. I got one on the wifes Grand Prix. It is a GM extended warranty which is basically an extension of the factory warranty. No deductible and covers everything.

My friend got one from an aftermarket vender (not factory or manufacturer backed) and it doesn't cover squat. Every time he has tried to make a warranty claim they deny it.
[size=75][url=http://photobucket.com/albums/v179/retep910/S10/]2002 S10 Ext. Cab 4x4 Indigo Blue[/url]
Extang Black Max Tonneau, Rubber Bed Mat, Vent Visors, Bugflector II, SilverStar headlights, Dark Window Tint, Disabled DRL, Debadged, K&N Filter, Skid Plates, 1.25" Rear Wheel Spacers, Boise 3 aal kit, mild T-bar crank, Dueler A/T Revo[/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

I have one through another company and it works quite well. No deductable, and coverage to 100K miles. I've bought an extended warranty on every vehicle I've owned, and they've all payed for themselves. For some reason I just seem to have problems out of everything. My old Sonoma had to have the driveshaft replaced twice, and several other things. But some people never seem to have problems.... I don't know why... :lol:
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

how much is a new drive shaft? vs. how much was the warranty?
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

The first one was around $700, but for some reason more was screwed up when they had to replace the second one, it would've been over $1200. I only paid $1100 for the warranty. Plus had the AC Condenser (I think) replaced, and a few other things that could've added up.
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

but, surely you see my point...

I'm not saying it's gauranteed but the likelihood, in my experience, is that you pay more for the piece of mind than it is ultimately worth. Sure you paid $1100 up front instead of paying $1900 later. So, you took a chance and it paid out $800 for you. but, I have yet to break a single drive shaft, let alone two. Yeah, I guess there's always a chance of blowing a motor or something else ridiculously expensive. It's a gamble either way.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Well, I may have really goofed up but, I just bought an extended warranty this afternoon.

To give you the "cliff notes" version of why I did it is like this. I never considered one before and I had Barch's line or reasoning.

I bought my CC last May with 600 miles on it and it was never titled. Whatever dealer who hung on to it before GM took it back (because of bankruptcy or whatever) activated the warranty by charging a replacement power window switch to the warranty. :x

I have 9K on it with 3 days left of the warranty. I have had a bunch warranty issues and after researching current day repair and part costs I had to rethink my former position on extended warranties.

I have been fortunate with needed warranty repairs with my CC (compared to some) in the brief 11 months of ownership. I have had 1 rear driver's side window replaced, 2 driver side electric window switch replacements, 1 fuel sending unit, 2 CV joint boots, and a computer reprogram for fuel gauge.

I have dumped my dealer where I bought my CC from but, am still raising heck with GM customer assistance concerning the dealership.

I just got my extended warranty from a dealer that is 1/2 hour further away but, willing to work with people. I purchased an American Guardian 6yr/75K, bumper to bumper, for $963.00. I just need to schedule work if I need a "loaner" and everything else is similar to GM warranty except it is $100.00 deductable anywhere else that I have it serviced.

I just think 2 ball joints or just one blown head gasket and a water pump will make $963 look like a bargain.

Thoughts?
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

f9k9 wrote:...Thoughts?
It is a roll of the dice. You just bet on problems.
With your low miles and the warranty under $1K it was a tough choice.
I know this is not what you "bet on", but I hope you don't have any more problems :D

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

The guy that sold me the warranty is a former service manager. When he learned that I do a lot of my own work he told me, what I already knew, save my receipts. If an engine or tranny blows,nothing will shut a non GM warranty rep up faster than to tell him/her that it's in your glove box with dates and to have him/her to go dig it out :lol:

If I spent a thousand and never have a warranty issue hence forth it is money well spent :lol:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

My guess is the switch. Always stopped working when it was down and raining. A restart would usually get it working again.
f9k9 wrote:........I have been fortunate with needed warranty repairs with my CC (compared to some) in the brief 11 months of ownership. I have had 1 rear driver's side window replaced, 2 driver side electric window switch replacements, 1 fuel sending unit, 2 CV joint boots, and a computer reprogram for fuel gauge. ........
YellowCrewCabber
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by YellowCrewCabber »

I would say purchasing an extended warranty through G.M. is good for the most part but purchasing an "aftermarket" warranty from my experience...NO NO NO.
[size=75]04 ZR5 CC

Xbox Live Gamer Tag-Gefke6367[/size]