L.U.V.

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

Joseph
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

L.U.V.

Post by Joseph »

In 1972 Chevrolet interduced the LUV model. What does LUV stand for Light Utility Vehicle. It was only a short time ago that I found out what LUV stood for. In some in the over seas market the LUV name plate is still being used. In some rumors I heard the design used those over seas market will become the Colordo here in the US. Will see. JH68
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

The LUV was made by Isuzu and at that point, GM partly owned Isuzu then. The LUV was the Isuzu Pup Pickup. The New Colorado is based on the new Isuzu D-Max Pickup, but will be built in the States, while the Isuzu version is built in Thailand. Isuzu is selling them overseas like crazy and even outsells toyota and others in some markets. The D-Max is only available in Diesel 4 banger and Turbo Diesel 3.0L V6 so don't expect those engines anytime soon in the Colorado. Rumor is that the D-Max will come to the States, but not sure if they will use the same GM straight 5 or a Isuzu engine. Other Rumors is that the D-Max platform will be the next Isuzu Rodeo also. I really like my Crew, but these new crews look very very nice and tempting........ :?

Cheers,

Con
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

after driving a jetta around lately that had a 4 banger diesiel in it.....i want a diesel...loads of torque
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

A guy I know is SoCal has an F250 Crew Cab with the Powerstroke Diesel. He's making around 600 HP and something like 825 lb ft of TQ. The thing runs high 13's in the 1/4 mile and weighs over 7000 lbs. :shock:
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
Joseph
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Joseph »

I have looking on the internet for udated pixs of the Colorado and Canyon nothing yet. Can't wait for the final version comes out. I knew a guy who had a LUV 4x4 it didn't look like a 4x4 it sat pretty low to the ground. He took it every where. Another guy in my town restored a yellow LUV 4x4 it looks great. I think GM could of came up with a better name. JH68
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I had an '82 Chevy LUV 4X4, It wasn't too bad a truck after putting on a Weber carb, chrome header, removed cat and added a flowmaster.Image

The biggest trouble it had was lack of suspension travel.

P.S. those are the tires off our old mudbogger the "Turbid Necromancer".

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

HenryJ wrote:I had an '82 Chevy LUV 4X4, It wasn't too bad a truck after putting on a Weber carb, chrome header, removed cat and added a flowmaster.

I had a '72 LUV. It was a really bad little truck after I stuffed that 327ci 350 hp Vette motor into it that I had laying around! (Evil Laugh!)
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Hey Henry, that Chevy LUV would look nice with those tires on it instead of in the bed! :lol:
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

yes, after seeing that pic, i immideatley want to see the truck that the tires went on, where is that pic.

and about this powerstrock 600hp runnin 13's????? i am going to ??? you on that one. are you sure its diesel and not a gas motor?
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

a2b wrote:after seeing that pic, i immideatley want to see the truck that the tires went on, where is that pic.
I'll see if I can dig up a picture of the "Turbid Necromancer" (Muddy Magician) and scan it.

We used to have some great videos of it throwing rooster tails off all four tires 20' in the air, but they were stolen along with the VCR (burgulary) while at a friends house.

It was definately a low buck build and something fun for a friend of mine and I to do with some spare parts we had. We used a '72 chevy 4X4 frame shortened 24" with a 427 BB chevy mounted mid engine. We built a cage and fabbed a sheetmetal drivers compartment. The thing looks just like something out of the movie "Road Warrior".

Those tires are 44" tall and 41" wide. The rig was 11' wide and 10.5' long.

Three of the events we entered we took first place along with some nice cash! Two of them we were the only vehicle to clear the pit. In later years they got wise to us and started narrowing the pit forcing us to slow it down and ended up with some second and third prize finishes.

It was a blast, and I have a garage full of trophies that bring back great memories.

It is currently sitting down the road, parted out. The engine has been used for several other projects and is currently under the bench in my garage.

Hobie, if you think the tires will fit your truck I'll make you a deal on them, though some more trimming may be needed ;)

My friend Mark corrected me on the specs.-HJ
Last edited by HenryJ on Fri Dec 27, 2002 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

A picture as promised!

More pictures here

- ThunderII KE7CSK
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

oh my gosh...that is the coolest and funnest looking thing ever...wow :D
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\