GPS , advice on what to get.

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Speaking of maps (and not trying to change the subject as I do so often), but after our trail ride Saturday, I got the idea about getting a decent GPS unit. I want something that won't destroy my bank account but something that has a decent set of features (like speed, altitude, compass) and good built in maps. I really know nothing about these things so any help is greatly appreciated. Also where is a good place to get these things?

HenryJ, I probably should have just started a new subject so if you want to split this off, that's Ok with me.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I will suggest Magellan.

I like my SporTrak Pro for the hiking and offroad stuff. It has enough memory to load topo maps of almost all Oregon. I have had it for quite a while now and it is still really good.
The color SporTrak is nice too. A friend bought it.
If you need lots of maps , the Meridian series offers a little larger screen and removable memory. It is bigger and does not fit in a pocket for hiking very easily though.

A handheld is only as good as it's antenna. This is especially true if you frequent areas with tree cover. I made the decision to buy the SporTrak after seeing this test - Accuracy test

If you are looking for reviews , performance tests and just about everything about GPS , check out this website- GPSinformation.net

If you are just looking for an inexpensive unit to cache with , try hitting the pawn shops for a Garmin. They are cheap and work OK.

If on road navagation is what you are after the new unit from Magellan is getting lots of attention. I like Delorme's USB earthmate receiver on a laptop. $129 for receiver and software is hard to beat. I hear that Garmin has one out now too, for nearly the same price.

Vann's electronics usually has some pretty competitive prices and regularly sells on ebay. If you wait and watch you can find a bargain sometimes.
Last edited by HenryJ on Sun Mar 20, 2005 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

check ebay
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Thanks for the "gpsinformation.net" link HJ! Good site! I noticed that Bob (the guy with the blue Rubicon that was leading the ride) had a Magellan Meridian Gold he used on the trail ride. I checked into those on gpsinformation.net and I think that may be what I'm looking for. Now I just have to wait for the tax return and then find a good place to get one. I think I'll go the internet store route since places like Best Buy are way too overpriced on these things. ("Best Buy" indeed! :roll: ) Any suggestions on where to buy one?
kwalsh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kwalsh »

I recently puchased this. I love it.

http://www.garmin.com/products/etrexLegend/
[size=75]"Pain = weakness leaving the body."[/size]
SomeCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by SomeCrew »

Go to radioshack.com, and you can enter to win a magellan one!
[size=59][color=red]| '03 CC | WESTIN SPORTSMEN BRUSH GUARD | KC DAYLIGHTERS | WESTIN NERF BARS | WESTIN SPORTSMEN TAILLIGHT GUARDS | 6" SUPERLIFT SL |2" PA BL | 35" THORNBIRDS ON 15" AMERICAN RACING WHEELS |[/color][/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Something that I have learned through the Delorme forum is that GM has a special "thingy" (gotta love that word) in the GM windshields that will distort your position when using an inside antenna mounted on the dash.

You appear to be off or running paralell to a road by as much as .5 miles. Mine is never off the roadway that much but, they (the forum) recommended a side window if possible.

I run both garmin and Delorme and have noticed at certain times of day or if I am travelling the same road in the opposite direction it puts me right on the money.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
border man
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by border man »

I have the cheap garmin one, and I can tell you that it gets used daily. I cost $89 bucks, but I have used it to call in medevacs, fixed wing and other aircraft out in the desert. It is also very very handy when following a group of illegal entrants for 10+ miles in some of the most remote desert land in the country. Of course the more expensive ones have all kinds of nifty options, but if you can deal with just the basics ie.. location altitude, compass, distance traveled, I would recommend the cheap one. :D
[size=75]I didn't do it, it was already like that when I got it.[/size]
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

I've been reading a lot on "gpsinformation.net" and the more I read, the cheaper the ones I'm looking at. That and I go off roading maybe twice a year so why spend a ton of bucks on one. Let the other club members do that and just read over their shoulders! :lol:

Thanks for all the input guys. It helps!
Pauleo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Pauleo »

Thanks alot guys! Now I want a GPS too! :P
None of you guys better come through central Ohio because when I bring THIS one up to my wife, she's gonna be after you!!!! :lol:
[size=75]"As I said before, I never repeat myself!"[/size]
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Pauleo wrote:Thanks alot guys! Now I want a GPS too! :P
None of you guys better come through central Ohio because when I bring THIS one up to my wife, she's gonna be after you!!!! :lol:
I'm trying to figure out how to hide this one myself! Ooppss!!! I forgot she reads the messages on this site! Now I'm in trouble!
:hide:
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

I've been using a Garmin 48 for about six years now. For boating and offroading and geocaching (thanks to HJ for introducing the barches to geocaching) and just plain not getting lost. it's more accurate than I need. Has more memory than I need. And does more than I need it to.

I worked at E&B/West Marine selling electronics when I was in college and at that time ('93-'97) Garmin was the biggest seller. Got the most favorable customer reviews and had fantastic customer service. Megellin was just getting into the market but had very similar products and very few complaints. Although it's been a while since I've followed either product line closely and features and prices have changed pretty drastically since then, I'd say either company is an excellent choice.
Pauleo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Pauleo »

Sorry Barch. Your Garmin 48 has been discontinued! :shock:
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Rusty wrote:
I'm trying to figure out how to hide this one myself! Ooppss!!! I forgot she reads the messages on this site! Now I'm in trouble!
It's called EDIT :D
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

f9k9 wrote:
Rusty wrote:
It's called EDIT :D
Oh, I know. I was just kidding. I gave up trying to hide things from the wife. I managed to pull it off once but that was it and I caught major h*ll for it when she finally did find out! :lol:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Rusty wrote:I've been reading a lot on "gpsinformation.net" and the more I read, the cheaper the ones I'm looking at. That and I go off roading maybe twice a year so why spend a ton of bucks on one. Let the other club members do that and just read over their shoulders! :lol:

Thanks for all the input guys. It helps!
Once you have one you will find many uses for it. Do as the Barches do and try geocaching. It is a treasure hunt with a guaranteed treasure when you find it. This is a wonderful family sport that is done at your convenience, any time of the day or night.
It gets us out of the house, and we find many wonderful places that we would never have ventured to find.
I'm betting it would not take much to have the whole family "hooked".
I have taken many people on their first caching adventures , some are hooked , some escape untouched.

Even if you don't take up geocaching, the GPS is a wonderful tool.
You can never get lost. If someone asks if you know where you are going you can say you are going where that little arrow points ;)

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

What HJ said! :lol:

Besides, they are fun (geocaching) :lol:

My better half acted like I would have acted if, I was following her on a shopping trip until she located a cache first :lol:

Suddenly, she was H_ll bent for the next one :lol:

Besides, it's like PCs were to me 13 yrs ago...........scared senseless, play. learn, make mistakes and now it's a great adventure:)
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Hey, I didn't say I wasn't going to get a GPS. I was just saying that I'm not going to go out and pay $500+ for one (can't afford it anyway) when maybe all I need cost less than $200.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Rusty wrote:Hey, I didn't say I wasn't going to get a GPS. I was just saying that I'm not going to go out and pay $500+ for one (can't afford it anyway) when maybe all I need cost less than $200.
That's all you need and even a used one isn't bad if the seller is rebutable. :D
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

f9k9 wrote:
Rusty wrote:Hey, I didn't say I wasn't going to get a GPS. I was just saying that I'm not going to go out and pay $500+ for one (can't afford it anyway) when maybe all I need cost less than $200.
That's all you need and even a used one isn't bad if the seller is rebutable. :D
I checked out HJ's geocaching link and it had a link for rei.com so I went there and they had some pretty good prices. I looked at a Garmin eTrex Legend that kwalsh mentioned and it looked like a good possibility for me. I'm still looking around though.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Rusty wrote:...had a link for rei.com so I went there and they had some pretty good prices. I looked at a Garmin eTrex Legend that kwalsh mentioned and it looked like a good possibility for me. I'm still looking around though.
Vann's has the Garmin Etrex Legend for $147.68
They also have a customer returned Magellan explorist 200 for $90

Be sure to check out Cabela's their prices have been pretty good too.

Search the bargain basement and clearances of both sites :D

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Thanks HJ. I did have one thought on the Megallan Meridian Gold that keep making me go back toward it, although it cost more than I wanted to spend. It takes SD memory cards so it's kinda upgradeable as far as memory and maps you can load into it. Does that really matter? Another thing I wanted to look for is the ability to connect an external antenna but only the more expensive ones seem to have that. Again, is that really that important?

The biggest problem I keep running into is the "gadget freak" in me wants things like Altitude, compass, etc, but those are only on the more expensive ones and I don't know that I would really need it, but I wwwwaaannnttt iiiitt! :lol: (Just can't afford it yet)
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

A remote antenna is only an issue if you intend to use the unit inside a vehicle with a solid roof. You will likely still receive a signal through your windows with the internal patch antenna but will get a much stronger (more accurate) signal with an unobstructed view of the sky from an external antenna. Mine works fine inside my truck with only the attached quadrafiler antenna. Note also that for offroad use, a thick canopy of trees will interrupt the signal and in urban settings, tall buildings will do the same. Geometricly, you will get the most accurate position information by receving signals from several satellites between 0 & 45 degrees above the horizon. Directly above, while better than no reception at all, is not really ideal. So, having an externally mounted antenna does not necessarily guaranty perfect reception.

As for other features, the less expensive units do not typically include a conventional magnetic compass but, do calculate your position several times per second. While they won't tell you which way you are facing, they will in fact tell you your direction of travel. And altitude, sure it's neat to see on the screen but, unless you're using your gps to fly a plane or prepare a topographical survey... it's not the most critical information. And if you're using your handheld gps to do either, well... there are far more accurate instruments for both. Mine gives 3 dimentional position but, I don't recall ever using the altitude reading for anything. Then again, I use mine primarily on my boat. So, it ALWAYS reads about 5 feet above sea level.
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

Pauleo wrote:Sorry Barch. Your Garmin 48 has been discontinued! :shock:
Of course it has. It's been working fantasticly for over six years. Why would they keep selling them? Much like lightbulbs that never burn out, they'd only be able to sell you ONE per lifetime. :wink:
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I purchased an antenna and dc power cord for my garmin through gpsgeek.com. Good products and very cheap :D
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

I'm starting to go into "information overload" here! :lol:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Rusty wrote:... upgradeable as far as memory and maps you can load into it. Does that really matter?
I find that 9mb is plenty for my uses. That is high definition topo maps for an area nearly the size of Oregon. I carry the laptop so loading new areas is possible, but I have never done it on a trip.
Another thing I wanted to look for is the ability to connect an external antenna but only the more expensive ones seem to have that. Again, is that really that important?
I have never needed one. My handheld picks up just great from the swivel bracket sitting in the cup holder.
The biggest problem I keep running into is the "gadget freak" in me wants things like Altitude, compass, etc, but those are only on the more expensive ones and I don't know that I would really need it, but I wwwwaaannnttt iiiitt! :lol: (Just can't afford it yet)
You really won't need all the bells and whistles, or use them. Get a nice basic unit with 8+ mb of storage for uploading maps, helix quadrafiler antenna built-in. Buy the cheap swivel bracket and the 12v power supply.
That is plenty to get you going.
Barch pretty much nailed it on the need for the magnetic compass and altimeter. You will get those readings, but may have to be moving to get a heading. You won't need precision accuracy. Within a meter is plenty close enough :D

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Pauleo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Pauleo »

Been seeing this one a lot. Wadda ya think???

LINK

Made the long url a link-HJ
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

I think, as with all patch antenna units, that they're fine for strictly "hand held" use. BUT, add a dash mount clip and tilt the unit so that you can view the display and you also tilt the antenna (blocking the signal from other directions). They're great for hiking... not so much for boating or driving.

For that price though, it's a fantastic starter unit. Will give you a great idea of just what you can and can't do with a portable gps and better prepare you for your next one.
Pauleo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Pauleo »

I would like to get into geocaching. I read up on HJ info that he posted and it sounds like fun. Especially if it takes me off road a little!! :wink: I would also like to have the ability to use it in the truck when going on long distance trips. To keep track of Interstates & what not. Does anyone know if this unit has those abilities???
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Pauleo wrote:... keep track of Interstates & what not. Does anyone know if this unit has those abilities???
Technical Data wrote:# Moving-map display: No
# Map storage: No
I'd get something with maps. While you can Geocache with these cheap units. Having a map makes things easier, and the novice user will find it easier too.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Pauleo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Pauleo »

Got it! :wink: Thanks!
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Well, I just shelled out my "hard saved pennies" for a Magellin Meridian Platinum. Total overkill for what I probably needed but I kept looking at the Meridian Gold (Having seen one on the last trail ride) and at Vann's they had the Platinum model (one step better) on sale for $20 less the the Gold's normal price so I grabbed it. I had to do something fast though because I was going into total brain overload trying to figure it all out and I reached the point where I needed to end the frustration and just buy one! The reviews seem good on the Platinum so I don't think I'll regret it. :)
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Rusty wrote:Well, I just shelled out my "hard saved pennies" for a Magellin Meridian Platinum..l. I don't think I'll regret it. :)
You will like it. It has a slightly larger screen than my SporTrak, which is nice.

My dad has that one as well as the friend that I wheel with. They are a little big for any of my pockets, but still a very nice GPS.

Get a 12v power supply and one of the cheap swivel brackets for mounting in the vehicle.
Screw it to a block that fits your cup holder and drop it in.

I'll PM some more... ;)

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

HenryJ wrote:
Rusty wrote:Well, I just shelled out my "hard saved pennies" for a Magellin Meridian Platinum..l. I don't think I'll regret it. :)
You will like it. It has a slightly larger screen than my SporTrak, which is nice.

My dad has that one as well as the friend that I wheel with. They are a little big for any of my pockets, but still a very nice GPS.

Get a 12v power supply and one of the cheap swivel brackets for mounting in the vehicle.

I'll PM some more... ;)
The slightly larger screen was what made the decision over the SporTrak Pro that I was also looking at. I still wanted to find one with an external antenna but they only seemed to be the more expensive ones and most sites I read said I didn't really need one anyway. One thing I did like is the SD Memory it takes. Makes it nice and upgradeable! Stick 512meg in there and have a field day loading up the maps! :lol:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Rusty wrote:...One thing I did like is the SD Memory it takes. Makes it nice and upgradeable! Stick 512meg in there and have a field day loading up the maps! :lol:
Platinum has a problem and will only recognize a limited amount or single map on each card. I can't remember exactly what the problem was?
My dad found a "work around" though. Something about creating folders on the PC for use on the GPS?

If you have any problems , I'll find out.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

HenryJ wrote:
Rusty wrote:...One thing I did like is the SD Memory it takes. Makes it nice and upgradeable! Stick 512meg in there and have a field day loading up the maps! :lol:
Platinum has a problem and will only recognize a limited amount or single map on each card. I can't remember exactly what the problem was?
My dad found a "work around" though. Something about creating folders on the PC for use on the GPS?

If you have any problems , I'll find out.
Yeah, I remember reading something about that on gpsinformation and they said something about folders and renaming files to get around it. I wouldn't really load up everything like that. I'd just get myself confused but I thought it was nice to know I could if I wanted to.

I was just poking around on the GeoCache site you mentioned above and found at least 20 sites withing 10 miles of my house. I'm starting to get interested in this! Might be a fun thing for my son and I to get into this summer. Anything to get him away from the blasted TV!
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Rusty wrote:...I was just poking around on the GeoCache site you mentioned above and found at least 20 sites withing 10 miles of my house. I'm starting to get interested in this! Might be a fun thing for my son and I to get into this summer. Anything to get him away from the blasted TV!
It will do that. I'm sure you will enjoy it. Take the wife too :D
Gather up some small items from that junk drawer for trading.
My son has collected over 100 matchbox cars from caching. He loves it :D

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

HenryJ wrote:
Rusty wrote:...I was just poking around on the GeoCache site you mentioned above and found at least 20 sites withing 10 miles of my house. I'm starting to get interested in this! Might be a fun thing for my son and I to get into this summer. Anything to get him away from the blasted TV!
Oh, I plan to get the wife involved (hooked if possible). How else am I going to justify to her my buying the GPS? :lol:

Seriously, I think she'll like it. She loves to go camping too so maybe we'll load up the VW Bus (aka Westfalia Camper) and combine the two! :D
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

HenryJ wrote:

I'll PM some more... ;)
HA HA HA... I get it. Rusty's old :lol: :lol: :lol:
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

Rusty wrote:
HenryJ wrote:
Oh, I plan to get the wife involved (hooked if possible). How else am I going to justify to her my buying the GPS? :lol:

Seriously, I think she'll like it. She loves to go camping too so maybe we'll load up the VW Bus (aka Westfalia Camper) and combine the two! :D
Mrs barch wasn't too excited about the geocaching but she had a ball with the gps when we were shopping for houses.

Turns out a lot of these realtor websites won't give you the address but, will show the property location on a map. I guess that way you have to call them and give an agent a chance to give you the sales pitch. The images of the maps however almost always had the lat/lon in the file name. :wink:

So, just plug in the numbers and go find the house.
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

barch97 wrote:
HenryJ wrote:

I'll PM some more... ;)
HA HA HA... I get it. Rusty's old :lol: :lol: :lol:
You just now figured that out? Actually, I just turned 47 but as Harrison Ford said in one of the Indiana Jones movies, "It's not the age, it's the mileage!" I may only be 47 but my odometer has turned over more than a few times now! :lol:
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

barch97 wrote:
Rusty wrote:
HenryJ wrote:It will do that. I'm sure you will enjoy it. Take the wife too :D

Mrs barch wasn't too excited about the geocaching but she had a ball with the gps when we were shopping for houses.

Turns out a lot of these realtor websites won't give you the address but, will show the property location on a map. I guess that way you have to call them and give an agent a chance to give you the sales pitch. The images of the maps however almost always had the lat/lon in the file name. :wink:

So, just plug in the numbers and go find the house.
When my Mom was looking for a new house a few months ago, she noticed that a lot of realtors have GPS units now. Most are the really expensive in car units but I guess if it's your livelyhood, you need it to find and show houses!
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Well, FedEx says I have to wait until April 6th for the new toy! :bounce: (Do we have an emoticon of someone pacing the floor? :lol: )
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

if you are anything like me, don't get frustrated with the instructions. Just play with it, fiddle about, relearn lessons you already learned with it and just keep having fun. Like anything else halfway complicated if, you do not use it on a regular basis things tend to get worrisome.

My wife freaks when I go out to get my laptop and fire it up in my CC for the 5.25 mile drive to work. "Why do you need that to get to work"? she asks. :lol:

Everyday I use it, I learn more, know how to do stuff instinctively and learn more from the manufacturers forum. :D

Just a couple of days ago a new user informed one of the forum's techies on how to set up default for fuel tank capaciity, MPG, and days driving time. We all learned from that and the techie was amazed because he had been working with the program for years. :lol:
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

f9k9 wrote:if you are anything like me, don't get frustrated with the instructions. Just play with it, fiddle about, relearn lessons you already learned with it and just keep having fun. Like anything else halfway complicated if, you do not use it on a regular basis things tend to get worrisome.
Oh, I plan to fiddle with it a lot! I spent a lot of last night just planning what all I'm going to do with it when I get it. Everything from aligning the windvane so it really points north (and not just a rough guess) to using the speed function to find out just how fast that "race tractor" I have really goes to doing some geocaching. Like I said in a previous post, there are at least 20 caching sites withing a 10 miles radius of my house, and that's just to start. I'm really starting to get interested in this geocaching thing. I can't think of a better way to learn to use the GPS that that!
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I agree and I live in the boondocks of SE KY but, try punching in the zip 40744 and I am pretty sure it was over 50 located nearby.

Lesson learned the hard way (as I usually do) :lol:

I did not do any research on the cache size descriptions. DO not do ""microcache" until you have found a few regular ones. :lol:

After i was frustrated but foudd a few i researxched and discovered they were some of the most difficult to locate. If you are lucky they may be the size of a 1/4 roll of quaters.

Nothing to take or leave. Go for other than micro caches at first.

Good luck!
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

f9k9 wrote:I agree and I live in the boondocks of SE KY but, try punching in the zip 40744 and I am pretty sure it was over 50 located nearby.

Lesson learned the hard way (as I usually do) :lol:

I did not do any research on the cache size descriptions. DO not do ""microcache" until you have found a few regular ones. :lol:

After i was frustrated but foudd a few i researxched and discovered they were some of the most difficult to locate. If you are lucky they may be the size of a 1/4 roll of quaters.

Nothing to take or leave. Go for other than micro caches at first.

Good luck!
Considering all the development that they are doing around here now, I was really surprised to find 20 that were close by. There are more but that was just within 10 miles. Right now I live in a little town called "Nokesville" but I expect it will be "Nokesville Estates" (fine luxury housing from the mid $600k's!) within the next 10 years. Seems the whole area is going to that nonsense. Shame! :(

I plan to have my son along and he can help hunt. Even if I don't actually find anything, just getting him out of the house and away from that darned TV will be a good thing. I already looked up one cache (haven't actually gone and found it yet) that's located in a park I didn't even know existed! There was a plus right there and I didn't even need the GPS for it. :)
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

Rusty wrote:Considering all the development that they are doing around here now, I was really surprised to find 20 that were close by. There are more but that was just within 10 miles. Right now I live in a little town called "Nokesville" but I expect it will be "Nokesville Estates" (fine luxury housing from the mid $600k's!) within the next 10 years. Seems the whole area is going to that nonsense. Shame! :(
they cut down all the trees and name the streets after them :(
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

barch97 wrote:
Rusty wrote:Considering all the development that they are doing around here now, I was really surprised to find 20 that were close by. There are more but that was just within 10 miles. Right now I live in a little town called "Nokesville" but I expect it will be "Nokesville Estates" (fine luxury housing from the mid $600k's!) within the next 10 years. Seems the whole area is going to that nonsense. Shame! :(
they cut down all the trees and name the streets after them :(
Sadly, that's just about right. :(
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

:bump: Just recently finished testing the Beta version of Street Atlas 2006 and if you use laptops to navigate with I, think you'll like the new version :thumb:

Vast improvements over SA 2005 or earlier versions :D
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: GPS , advice on what to get.

Post by HenryJ »

Here we are all these years later. The Avalanche has had a refurb Toughbook for quite a while now. I have been running Delorme Topo North America 9. I had been waiting for the maps in my area to get refreshed to include the newer roads.
Today I confirmed that they are indeed updated for my area. Tech support is AWESOME! They worked with me to confirm that the maps now had what I needed. The new version has state parks for Canada and topo for all of Mexico. Both are on our short list for exploration.

Ready to buy, there are currently no discount codes, however I was told to call the sales team at 1-800-561-5105
That paid off.
Current retail is $99 for Delorme Topo North America 10, loyal customers can get it for $69

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

That sounds like a great improvement. While Tom-Toms, and Garmin navigation systems have vastly improved for their purposes, nothing can replace the Delorme TOPO programs with their quality of various different maps and imagery for true off road exploration. Leaving bread crumbs behind ain't bad either. :roflmao:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I have explored more than I ever would have without it. That makes it so worthwhile!

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:....................... That makes it so worthwhile!
+1