Expedition Vehicles

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Expedition Vehicles

Post by HenryJ »

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

a taco makes a great expedition vehicle. BUT, honestly if i were to make one, i might make one out of a k-5. chevy parts are freaking everywhere and if you break down, some one can help. also, getting rid of all the ecu's and stuff and going carbed is a good idea. the only thing about the k-5 is gas mileage. you would like to have a better gas mileage but then again, a mini truck with little lift and loaded still only gets 14 mpg.
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
border man
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by border man »

The taco from expeditions west lives right around the corner from me. I have always seen the truck parked in the driveway and wondered what they were all about. Very cool looking truck, they also have a lifted Montero I believe. Small world. :shock:
[size=75]I didn't do it, it was already like that when I got it.[/size]
expeditionswest

Post by expeditionswest »

Hello all! I noticed a few hits coming from this site and checked it out. Then I see that Border Man is a neighbor!

Border Man,

Stop on by anytime... I know a few trails in CG that you might enjoy.
Scott Brady
www.expeditionswest.com
2004 Toyota Tacoma
1998 Isuzu Trooper
1994 Jeep Wrangler
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

Welcome to the site Scott!
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

expeditionswest wrote:Hello all! I noticed a few hits coming from this site and checked it out...
:wave: Thanks for taking the time to join us :mrgreen: Welcome!

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

Welcome Scott :wave:
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
expeditionswest

Thanks for the kind welcomes :D

I seriously considered the Canyon in the double cab configuration before buying my Tacoma. The double cabs make for such great utility IMO.

So do any of you use the s-10 for extended OHV travel, like into Mexico, or on some of the longer tracks in the west (White Rim, El Camino Del Diablo, etc.)?
Scott Brady
www.expeditionswest.com
2004 Toyota Tacoma
1998 Isuzu Trooper
1994 Jeep Wrangler
border man
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by border man »

Not yet :cry:
Unfortunately my truck sits about as high as my wifes taurus.
kf6kmx
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kf6kmx »

border man wrote:Not yet :cry:
Tall Taurus.. :wink:
I know the feeling though, my only 'lift' at this point is the (slightly) taller tires..
[size=75]-Scott-----'03 CrewCab S10 - Pewter
[url]http://www.kf6kmx.net/s10tracker.asp[/url]<-- Follow this link to find my trucks current actual location! Updated whenever the ignition is on. (tracker radio is currently intermittant) Pioneer XM, MagnaFlow, Garmin GPS,Tornado AMS , APRS Tracker, 2m/440 Ham Radio, Vista Camper Shell (from SoCalDave) , JottoDesk laptop mount, Rancho 5000's, Revo 235 75R15 on stock rims[/size]
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

expeditionswest wrote:Thanks for the kind welcomes :D

I seriously considered the Canyon in the double cab configuration before buying my Tacoma. The double cabs make for such great utility IMO.

So do any of you use the s-10 for extended OHV travel, like into Mexico, or on some of the longer tracks in the west (White Rim, El Camino Del Diablo, etc.)?
I think that HenryJ might be one of the more expedition-rigged crews on the site - He'd have to fill you in more on what types of terrains he deals with, but I know he apparently has a lot of desert-like terrain he drives.

It's amazing that just in the last 12 months that the aftermarket has developed 2 different 6" lifts for a truck that essentially is now out of production. Before that there was the 5" trailmaster, and some pieces of junk sold by Truckin' Industtries.

The s-series has a few faults, including a front diff that really is stretched for off-road use on 33's, and stock gearing of either 3.42 or 3.73.

Oh and the fact that the front wheel wells can barely stuff a 31" tire without cutting.

Despite all of this, we persevere around here. I found your site a few months back while trying to get ideas on mods that might be do-able for building a "Get out there, and back again" kind of rig, without busting the bank account.

I find myself really interested in your Isuzu - drive-train and suspension wise you can have less than a grand in the suspension, and are running a 33" tire - did you have to re-gear the vehicle, and if so , how hard was it to find parts for it? For an IFS rig it seems to be very capable for a minimum of modification.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

expeditionswest wrote:So do any of you use the s-10 for extended OHV travel, like into Mexico, or on some of the longer tracks in the west (White Rim, El Camino Del Diablo, etc.)?
I risk life and limb to travel a forty mile stretch of the infamous garden state parkway five days a week. Does that count? :lol:

and welcome aboard
expeditionswest

border man wrote:Not yet :cry:
Border Man,

Seriously, stop by the house. I work from home (most of the time), and would love an excuse to get out. I know several trails within 15 minutes of us that are a ton of fun for a stocker. I have been working like crazy lately, and would love an excuse to get out...

Just send me an email: guide@expeditionswest.com
Scott Brady
www.expeditionswest.com
2004 Toyota Tacoma
1998 Isuzu Trooper
1994 Jeep Wrangler
expeditionswest

adrenalnjunky wrote:
I think that HenryJ might be one of the more expedition-rigged crews on the site...

...I find myself really interested in your Isuzu - drive-train and suspension wise you can have less than a grand in the suspension, and are running a 33" tire - did you have to re-gear the vehicle, and if so , how hard was it to find parts for it? For an IFS rig it seems to be very capable for a minimum of modification.
I know Henry (from another board). Good guy, and spends time on his modifications, looking for the best solution.

Regarding the Trooper: They are the ultimate sleeper vehicle. Tons of rear wheel travel, and a stout drivetrain (9 7/8" rear diff). You can purchase them reasonably, and fit a 33" tire with NO LIFT... I probably have about $450 into the suspension as you see it. It has been a great truck and 100% reliable. I havent even changed the brakes, and it has 94,000 miles on it :shock:

I did not regear the vehicle. It has 4.47 axle gearing from the factory and a very tight limited slip diff.
Scott Brady
www.expeditionswest.com
2004 Toyota Tacoma
1998 Isuzu Trooper
1994 Jeep Wrangler
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

adrenalnjunky wrote:...I think that HenryJ might be one of the more expedition-rigged crews on the site - He'd have to fill you in more on what types of terrains he deals with, but I know he apparently has a lot of desert-like terrain he drives...
I'd like to call mine an expedition vehicle, but it is not quite there. Maybe they never are ;)

I thought it was interesting...I weighed mine loaded for a four day dry camp. All gear , full on fuel three passengers, ok ... 2 1/2 :D
It weighs 5800 lbs :shock: I was pleased to find out that it is very well balanced though. I had exactly 2900 lbs on the front axle and 2900 lbs on the rear :D Mileage was acceptable. The best was 19.26 mpg , and the worst was 16.43 mpg. Lots of wind and hills were not helping matters on the latest trip.

I spend the majority of my time in the Owyhee desert. This is high mountian desert. Lots of sand, clay, broken basalt, shale, and volcanic rock. Altitude runs from 2000-8000 ft there are some areas a little higher, but most of our time is spent below 5000 ft.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
expeditionswest

HenryJ wrote:
I'd like to call mine an expedition vehicle, but it is not quite there. Maybe they never are ;) .
You truck is awesome, yet more importantly, you use it!

IMHO, any vehicle becomes an expedition rig, as soon as you embark on the journey. I am of the stringent opinion that money is much better spent on fuel going somewhere than a modification that takes gas money and time off...
HenryJ wrote:I spend the majority of my time in the Owyhee desert...
That brings back some GREAT memories :D
Scott Brady
www.expeditionswest.com
2004 Toyota Tacoma
1998 Isuzu Trooper
1994 Jeep Wrangler
gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gocntry »

HenryJ wrote:It weighs 5800 lbs. I had exactly 2900 lbs on the front axle and 2900 lbs on the rear
Ok Sticker On My Truck Says GVWR 5150 W/ Front @ 2800 & Rear @ 2700
So...

Does That Make You 650 lbs Over? 5800 - 5150

Or

Does That Make You 300 lbs Over? 2900 + 2900=5800 - 2800 + 2700=5500

OR

Am I Still Lost And Confused :?:
The Crew Is Gone, Now I Have A Hoe
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

sounds like some creative math there on GM's part.

last time I checked: 2800+2700 doesn't equal 5150 (No telling where GM gets these numbers)
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

gocntry wrote: Does That Make You 650 lbs Over? 5800 - 5150...Or... 300 lbs Over? 2900 + 2900=5800 - 2800 + 2700=5500
Good catch! :D
Yes it doe make it over, however I have upgraded the tires, widened the track, upgraded the shocks and beefed up the rear springs.

It feels good and handles the weight well, so I am going to call it good. This was loaded heavier than the usual trip, since I was planning on a 4 day dry camp.

Thanks for bringing it up though :thumb: I am going to skip a few meals , and try to shave some weight as I can.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
border man
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: Expedition Vehicles

Post by border man »

HJ's new mod got me thinking of expedition vehicles and how I really want one. Recently (1-2 years) my bosses (somewhere in D.C.) have begun listening to the troops and acquiring us more purpose suited vehicles for the job. I'm talking about 4X4 transport vans, versus the 2 wheel drive ones we've had for ever. The 2 wheel drive ones were a real pain in the ass unless you needed transport right on a paved or graded dirt road (these don't exist on the reservation). Well anyways we've been slowly building up our fleet of Quigley modified 4X4 E-350 Ford vans and man-o-man these are sweet. It's like driving a lifted F-250. You get the solid axles and beefy suspension. I'd love to have one of these for myself. So much room. Image
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

What an awesome platform! Add a RTT, winch bike rack and fridge. All set to go! Boy if those start showing up on the GSA sales watch out!

- ThunderII KE7CSK
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

The quigley-converted vans are what Sportsmobile has been building their setups on. I'd love to get one of these.

[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

nevermind - appears Sportsmobile West has started doing thier own 4x4 conversions too.

http://www.sportsmobile.com/sections/4x ... x4cost.pdf
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS