Military 4WD Trivia

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Military 4WD Trivia

Post by F9K9 »

For many years I had thought that this was a Ford produced vehicle for our military and was designated the M151. I recently spotted a vehicle which looked just like it produced by AM General. Anyone have any knowledge as to which is which?
Last edited by F9K9 on Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

I watched a documentary on this not long ago, to bad I don't remember alot of it. I know that Willys-Overland designed/produced a version for military use. WO was owned by AM General. That's about as far as I go without further research, and I'm on dial-up, and don't have three hours to wait for pages to load :lol:
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

The pic was taken in '69 or '70. I do remember reading the the gov't never sold them to the public intact but, cut them in half due to roll over concerns. I am sure a few escaped intact.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

Apparently at the time Willys had the better design but inadequate production capacity. In an effort to produce as many as possible in a short time, the government contracted Ford to assist in production of the vehicle designed by Willys.
[size=67][i]"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."[/i][/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

barch97 wrote:Apparently at the time Willys had the better design but inadequate production capacity. In an effort to produce as many as possible in a short time, the government contracted Ford to assist in production of the vehicle designed by Willys.
Thanks, Barch. Just to make things clear, this is not the WW II version but, ptpbably designed over two decades later, correct?

I just now, this morning, remembered snorkel versions with intake and exhaust tubes extending to about the hgt of the windshield.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I just googled images and one phto was titled Ford M151 1/4 ton jeep but I also found this photo

I'd sure hate to try and drive it when the water level was about 2 ft below the top of the snorkel
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

f9k9 wrote:Thanks, Barch. Just to make things clear, this is not the WW II version but, ptpbably designed over two decades later, correct?
I really don't know them all that well that I can tell one year from the next but, both photos look much more like the 1940 original than the 1960's and later models.

*Edit: then again, compared to most other vehicles that have been around as long, there's very little difference aesthetically between a 1940 and a 2005.

Image Image
[size=67][i]"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."[/i][/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Jane's Military Vehicles and Ground Support Equipment 1985 (6th edition). wrote:
TRUCK, UTILITY, 1/4 TON, 4X4, M151

The M151 Mutt (Military Unit Tactical Truck) replaced the M38A1. It was designed by Ford and later built by Kaiser, AM General Corporation, and GM.

The M151 is a large departure from previous jeeps, both in looks and design. The M151 has a unitized body with a box frame. It is the same weight as an MB/GPW even though it is a larger vehicle. It has a longer wheelbase, is wider and is lower than an M38A1. It *looks* very stable. But in practice, due mainly to its primitive four wheel independent coil suspension , it tended to roll.

An 'A' arm with a coil spring is used on each wheel. The M151 and the M151A1 have the pivots on the inside of the wheel. The M151A2 changed the rear A arms to pivot front to back. This greatly reduced the tendency to roll over during a high speed turn.

Because of the tendency to roll, the US Army cut the M151s up before disposing of them.

The Canadian Military only used the M151A2 by AM General Corp. and always installed the roll bar kit (ROPS).

The M151 had many kits including:

* M107/M108 - Communications
* M718/M718A1 - Ambulance

The M151 was replaced by the Iltis in Canada and the M998 in the U.S.
History

1950 Continental Army Command places requirement for a new 1/4 ton 4x4 with the Ordnance Corps.
1951 Ford awarded development contract.
1952 Ford produces first prototype.
1954 XM151: second prototype.
1956 XM151E1 steel. XM151E2 aluminum.
1959 XM151E2 chosen for production.
1960 M151 starts production.
1964 M151A1 starts production.
1970 M151A2 starts production.
1978 Production stops.
Engine

It looks like the M151 used at least two engines.

Model .............. Ordnance/Continental
Block .............. Cast iron 4
Displacement ....... 141.5 cu. in. (2.3L)
Horsepower ......... 71 bhp @ 4,000 rpm
Bore ............... 3 7/8 inch
Stroke ............. 3 inch
Compression ........ 7.5:1
Values ............. Overhead / mechanical lifters
Carburetor ......... Down draft

Model .............. Hercules industrial (military version)
Block .............. Cast iron 4
Displacement ....... 151.5 cu. in. (2.5L)
Horse Power ........ 55 bhp
Carburetor ......... Side draft

Drivetrain

The M151 has a four speed synchromesh manual tranmission. The transfer case is used to engage/disengage the front axle only. It does not have a low/high range. Because of this, the M151 has two gearshifts instead of the normal three. From left to right, the first smaller gearshift engages/disengages the front axle, and the second larger gearshift is the gear shift proper (i.e. 1-2-3-4-reverse).
Gearing

While jeeps like the M38 and M38A1 went for lower gearing, the M151 seems to keep the higher gearing of the MB. It is interesting to compare the "Maximum Permissible Road Speeds" for the MB and the M151.

MAXIMUM PERMISSIBLE ROAD SPEEDS
(MPH)
M151 MB
GEAR SPEED GEAR SPEED
---- ----- -------- -----
1ST 11 1ST LOW 12
2ND 21 1ST HIGH 24
3RD 40 2ND HIGH 41
4TH 65 3RD HIGH 65

As can be seen from the table, the M151 basically uses the four speed transmission to give the entire high range of the MB, with first being a very close match for the MB's low range first. This gives the basic range of the MB without requiring a two-speed transfer case.
top_sgt
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by top_sgt »

spent many a weekend driving a M151A1!!!!
2004 S10 CC ZR5 4x4 >> traded for a 2006 F150 supercrew!!
mjmcdowell
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Photo of Jeep in Vietnam

Post by mjmcdowell »

HA,HA!! can't say much about the pedigree of the vehicle but the way those two guy's have there boots bloused they very might be known as REMF's, that is to an old Infantryman anyway....oh well I degress... stay safe, mjmcdowell
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Re: Photo of Jeep in Vietnam

Post by F9K9 »

mjmcdowell wrote:HA,HA!! .................... those two guy's have there boots bloused they very might be known as REMF's, that is to an old Infantryman anyway..
Easy there, :nono: I happen to be the one on the left and we didn't spend all our time wading through rice paddies :wink:

Besides, the outfit I was in expected us look the part when in the rear with the gear :!:
Last edited by F9K9 on Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Thanks for the ANGLICO link. I learned something today :thumb:

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
mjmcdowell
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

My comment about RVN service

Post by mjmcdowell »

For f9k9, my sincere apologies about the REMF comment did not mean to offend, sorry, and "Welcome Home", stay safe, mjmcdowell
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I wasn't offended :thumb:

Most Jarheads you run accross will tell you they never heard of it :D

Being so close to the Navy presents a certain wierdness in itself :lol:

I even went through a rifle inspection on a little outpost on the DMZ that consisted a USN LI JG (butterbar) leaping off a Huey just to look at 2 marine's rifles and promptly flew off after he tripped on the chopper's skids getting back in :roflmao:

No offense taken :D
HJ wrote:Thanks for the ANGLICO link. I learned something today Thumbs up!
YWVM, it was definitely a growing up experience :D
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Bump for jedthrocornpone
jedthrocornpone
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by jedthrocornpone »

thanks for the bump cool stuff
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

jedthrocornpone wrote:thanks for the bump cool stuff
SEALS, Recon and Anglico still depends on your jump school. The Army still trains the marines here in KY on the Abrams.

I checked properties 3 times on the photo but, it still looks huge. I apologize in advance if, it is incorrect, Brule!
jedthrocornpone
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by jedthrocornpone »

HA I used to Haul the 1-4 from gunnery back to Schweinfurt thats funny