If they did it, why can't any of us

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

If they did it, why can't any of us

Post by Justin »

It may sound stupid but Jesse James crew....

is something to solve all our "small bed woes". I realize our turing radius won't be great but how hard would it be to do something like this?. My guess is to do the following

1) find a regular cab bed

2) cut the frame in 2

3) find some box steel and cut to length to make it look normal (whatever the difference is) weld in place and strengthen if needed

4) get a longer driveshaft

5) re-wire all electrical and also gas line

6) lengthen exhaust

7) weld new bed mounts

something like this sounds like a weekend project but the problem that may come is straitening out the chasis

we'd be able to fit 33" in the back now :idea:
[size=75]05 Sierra LLY "Silver Bull"[/size]
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

Sure, this is possible. But finding a place to do this correctly and the cost would make it not worth it(IMHO). The only reason I was considering the Nissan Pickup was because of the 6foot crew bed which was only like a 600buck more than the smaller box which made it a good deal. Don't think you will find a bed for 600, let alone paint, and chassis work.

The turning radius is already poor with our wheelbase so I would not even think about how bad it will be with a longer wheelbase! :!:

It does look cool though!
[size=75]2007 Hummer H3 all Stock
Sold: 2004 Chevy Avalanche Z71 all Stock.
Sold: 2002 Chevy S10 Crew Cab ZR5 - Mods: Truxedo Bed Cover, APC and TYC Lights.[/size]
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

I even thought about taking it a step further in a different direction. How about the lenghtened frame and longer bed but instead on lowering it and ditching the 4wd, go with a dualie convertion in the back? Kind of a "miniturized" 4wd 1 ton?
anvil
Crew
Crew

Post by anvil »

Actually the duallie S-10 was done already, as it was featured

in one of the truck mags a few years ago. The guy that created it had it imported from Brazil, and If I remember correctly, he stuffed a V-8 in it.
Brad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Brad »

I had the same thought. I would not cut the chassis. I would extend the channel steel and reposition the axle and springs to the rear. I thought a step side would be cool even though you would not gain much cubic capacity.

Brad
Jim

Post by Jim »

anvil wrote:Actually the duallie S-10 was done already, as it was featured

in one of the truck mags a few years ago. The guy that created it had it imported from Brazil, and If I remember correctly, he stuffed a V-8 in it.

Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
Warnoffroad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Warnoffroad »

http://www.popularmechanics.com/automot ... dex4.phtml Only 250 hp? Dont they come with 255 form the factory
Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Justin »

well my buddy has 2 trucks... A 71 gmc shortbed and a 72 longbed...he uses the longbed as functional and the shortbed for parts...he agreed that we could cut up his shortbed and try to convert it to a longbed. We will see how it goes. If done correctly, could be a magazine article :roll:

I love the way that dually s-10 crew cab looks..Imagine having a dually 4x4 crew cab with 31" tires. :D
[size=75]05 Sierra LLY "Silver Bull"[/size]
Warnoffroad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Warnoffroad »

It needs a newer grill and light kit