Removing badges...

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Removing badges...

Post by AZS10Crew »

I know that Brule has done this, but has anyone else? how did you go about removing the side and rear badges from your truck? can they just be pulled off with a little elbow grease, or is something stronger required? I really like the "cleaner" look of no "S10" and "Chevrolet" badges on the sides and back.
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Mine came off the day I drove it home. It is pretty easy when they are new.

I used a heat gun to warm them up and just peeled them off. There was very little glue left to wipe off with some 3M Universal Adhesive Remover.

If they are stubborn the fish line works pretty good to cut them loose. Then some elbow grease and the cleaner should get the rest.

You want to make sure that the paint hasn't faded enough to leave a nasty looking shadow though.

Don't give in to the temptation to do any scraping! Use a soft cloth and let the chemical remover do it's job. Take your time.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

I kinda like the factory chevy emblems! I did take my dealer badge off first thing though. Even after I told them not to put any on. It came off very easily though.
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
John

Post by John »

I've removed all of mine, including the black rub strips on the sides. The emblems came off around 5K, and I had to use a heat gun to get them started. They're right, stay away from the scrapers, it'll just cause scratches or worse. Use a heat gun to get the leading edge started, then they peel up pretty well. Just don't get them too hot (as I learned) because the emblem will curl back too quickly and may snap in half. It's easiest to get them warm then the emblem and the glue underneath will most likely come off at the same time. WORK SLOWLY and you'll see better results.
I WILL have 35's on this thing sooner or later.
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

Cool...thanks guys.

Do you think a blow dryer would work as well as a heat gun? I don't have access to a heat gun.

Or I could just wait until summer and let the AZ sun heat them up on a 110 deg day. :lol:
[size=75]Mark
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

ya a blow dryer will work fine, you jsut have to hold it there longer :D
[url=http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4292383801]2001 BlaZeR2 with all the fixin's[/url]
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

Patience is a virtue which I'll have to work on I guess. :lol:
[size=75]Mark
Mike H.
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Mike H. »

Well............ I started debadging tonight. :) Definitely more of a pain than I figured. :twisted: Started with the "Sonoma" on the tailgate. Didn't use heat (don't have a heat gun or hair dryer). I got the darn plastic word off, but the black sticky foam backing stayed on the truck! All I got was the plastic word only. The black sticky foam (about 1/16" thick) is a pain in the tail to get off, in VERY small pieces with a lot of work.

How do I get that stuff off? Is there something that will dissolve the sticky black foam but not hurt the paint? Thanks.
[size=75][url=http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mikeh3235/lst?.dir=/&.src=ph&.done=http%3a//f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mikeh3235/lst%3f%26.dir=/2002%2bGMC%2bCrew%2bCab-Spacers%26.src=ph%26.view=l&.view=l]Yahoo Photo Pages[/url]
(previous) 2002 GMC Sonoma Crew Cab
(now) 2004 Nissan Titan LE 4x4 Crew Cab[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Mike H. wrote: Is there something that will dissolve the sticky black foam but not hurt the paint?
HenryJ wrote: 3M Universal Adhesive Remover
Turns it to kind of a jelly. Use lots of rags and reapply frequently , since it evaporates quickly.

You might try the "Fishline" trick, to saw off the next one if there is one ;) or borrow your girlfriends hair dryer. Maybe your wife could ask to borrow it? :lol:

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Mike H.
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Mike H. »

HenryJ wrote:You might try the "Fishline" trick, to saw off the next one if there is one ;) or borrow your girlfriends hair dryer. Maybe your wife could ask to borrow it? :lol:

Oh you are SO funny..........

I tried the fishing line and nearly cut off my fingers. I'll pick up some of the 3M stuff.

I WISH I had a girlfriend whose hair dryer I could borrow. :cry: But then I guess I wouldn't be spending all this money on tools recently :lol: Let's see - mig welder, huge compressor, huge ball bearing tool chest, floor drill press, various pneumatic tools, all in the last 2 months. Not to mention the truck stuff. :D

Ahhh, but maybe it'd be worth it, at least for a while anyway :wink: Oh, let's never forgot the big EX in front of "wife". :P
[size=75][url=http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mikeh3235/lst?.dir=/&.src=ph&.done=http%3a//f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mikeh3235/lst%3f%26.dir=/2002%2bGMC%2bCrew%2bCab-Spacers%26.src=ph%26.view=l&.view=l]Yahoo Photo Pages[/url]
marks10cc
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by marks10cc »

But then I guess I wouldn't be spending all this money on tools recently Let's see - mig welder, huge compressor, huge ball bearing tool chest, floor drill press, various pneumatic tools, all in the last 2 months.

Good God man!!! Just buy a 9.99 hair dryer.... :lol:

I got my dealer emblem off with a soldering iron... just went very slow, and was very careful not to get too close. Any non-open flame heat device will work, just be careful not to scorch the paint.

Or drive to Arizona and use a magnifying glass 8)
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

marks10cc wrote:Or drive to Arizona and use a magnifying glass 8)
They may de-badge themselves down there, they just drip off in the heat :lol: . I've heard the windshield removal is easy too....just slam your door with the windows all rolled up ;)

Oh, and sorry for the oops on the EX...or congratulations? ;) and add a good heat gun to that tool list! Nothing better for doing upholstery, heat shrink, debadging, burritos, etc.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
MikeyZR5

Post by MikeyZR5 »

Fishing line, Welding Gloves and Goo Gone....

That's how i did it...
NTXCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by NTXCrew »

3M Universal Adhesive Remover....

Does Autozone or Walmart carry that or something like it.
2003 S-10 Crew Cab - Indigo Blue Metallic
Flowmaster 40 w/ turndown, Chopped Airbox, APC clear corners, Trenz billet bowtie, Shaved badges, Sylvania Silverstars, Xenon fogs
-Jim
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

I thought about just leaving my truck out in the sun...but when I was removing the badges it was still winter, and only 80 degrees or so outside. :D This time of year you could definitely just park it outside and start peeling...surface temps get to about 160 on a car out here. :shock:
[size=75]Mark
Doc

It was so easy.

Post by Doc »

I am SO glad I didn't have any problems removing my badges.

85 degree day and they just pulled right off. Went slowly... and it was cake.

I just put some SS emblems on it. :D I doubt many people can tell it is not an SS. 8)
Mike H.
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Mike H. »

NTXCrew wrote:3M Universal Adhesive Remover....

Does Autozone or Walmart carry that or something like it.
Well, not Autozone or Home Depot. I checked them this evening......
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Mike H. wrote:
Well, not Autozone or Home Depot. I checked them this evening......
I get it through the local NAPA. Look for a place that sells automotive paint and supplies. 3M is one brand, but I've used the generic "Universal Adhesive Removers". Don't try the aerosol can though, it's a waste of money.

"Goo Gone" is very similar , though sold in smaller cans at a higher price through hardware stores.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

I found mine at Wal-Mart in the automotive dept. with the touch-up paints.
[size=75]Mark
NTXCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by NTXCrew »

I got the 3M at Wal-Mart this afternoon, too...it is areosol, but it seems to be lasting and more importantly, working. I only had time to do the tailgate emblems and it all went well. My wife sure has a heck of a hair dryer, too. Maybe thats why the electric is so much...I guess the 110 heat could do it, too... 8). Believe it or not, I just bought the newest Truckin' today and there is an article on shaving badges. The demo truck is a Chevy 1500....how timely.
2003 S-10 Crew Cab - Indigo Blue Metallic
Flowmaster 40 w/ turndown, Chopped Airbox, APC clear corners, Trenz billet bowtie, Shaved badges, Sylvania Silverstars, Xenon fogs
-Jim
Mike H.
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Mike H. »

I got the 3M spray from Wally-world this morning. I figured it would be easier to work with than the liquid form, and maybe a little weaker and safer on the paint. Plus I bought a heat gun on sale for 1/2 price at Harbor Freight.

Now I have a clean tailgate (GMC and Sonoma badges), plus both SLS logos by the rear door pillars are now gone. Plus the big blue UWS from my bed box.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Mike H. wrote:I got the 3M spray..... I figured it would be easier to work with than the liquid form, and maybe a little weaker and safer on the paint.
Glad it worked for you guys :) I didn't care for it when compared to the liquid, but then that is why this forum is so nice , just because I don't care for it doesn't mean that it does not work well for someone else.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
smokinjoe
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by smokinjoe »

i yanked my s-10 emblem off the tail last night w/ a hairdryer and some fishing line, it took about 10 minutes to get it off and then i used some stuff from autozone called sticker shocker(aerosol) it worked pretty well i had my fiance hold the hairdryer while i kinda just slid through the adhesive, and w/ that shocker stuff it just kinda rubbed away, looks good i plan on getting the chevrolet off the tail later and she wants me to keep the door emblems but i'm not sure just yet if i want to keep them, did someone say the LS badges on the door can also be removed?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

smokinjoe wrote: did someone say the LS badges on the door can also be removed?
Yes, I removed mine :D

- ThunderII KE7CSK
smokinjoe
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by smokinjoe »

well thats next on the list then :D