I like my S-10 so much I bought my son one.

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

Jim

I like my S-10 so much I bought my son one.

Post by Jim »

Just was awarded a nice little project S-10 on Ebay. I'm picking it up tomarrow just outside D.C. All my friends say it's not like me to buy a vehicle with just pictures. But I am approaching this with an attitude that he & I can fix anything that's crap on it. :shock:

The first thing to go is the topper, I found a 02 cloth bench seat for $75 & will be replacing the mat with new carpet hopefully a better grade than whats in our Crew Cabs. :roll:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... :B:BN:US:1

Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

Def. a work truck but it does have an auto. It looks pretty clean for a work truck too! Nice find. What are you planing on doing with it? Def. look at the Long Travel IFS kits!

Good Luck!

Cheers,

Con
[size=75]2007 Hummer H3 all Stock
Sold: 2004 Chevy Avalanche Z71 all Stock.
Sold: 2002 Chevy S10 Crew Cab ZR5 - Mods: Truxedo Bed Cover, APC and TYC Lights.[/size]
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Looks like a great deal. That be something I would get a son if I had one. Is that gonna be his starter truck? Perfect, not too powerful, and already has dings, but mechanically great. Perfect to learn on. LOL
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
Jim

Post by Jim »

Conman wrote:Def. a work truck but it does have an auto. It looks pretty clean for a work truck too! Nice find. What are you planing on doing with it? Def. look at the Long Travel IFS kits!

Good Luck!

Cheers,

Con
Of course replace the door. I think we will do a cheepy extreme look...paint the grill & bumpers the body color, look for a body kit, 2/2 drop & ZQ8 wheels
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
Warnoffroad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Warnoffroad »

:shock: thats an amazing $I wish mine costed that much
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

I saw on ebay a 96 s10 already at 3k and that was only a manual and no cap! So you got a great deal and if you sell the cap, probably get atleast 500 for it. Lowered would be cool but the pre runner look is in! ;)

Great find!

Cheers,

Con
Sold: 2002 Chevy S10 Crew Cab ZR5 - Mods: Truxedo Bed Cover, APC and TYC Lights.[/size]
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

Lowered would be cool...but I'd suggest 3 in instead of 2. A 2 in. drop is hardly noticeable and a 3 in. would center the wheels in the wheel well better than a 2 in. Get some nice 17's and you've got a pretty trick little truck. :thumb:
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I'd say 2" drop spindles and 1" or 2" blocks. They look about right then.

Not like they were built for the maximum pothole depth.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Jim

Post by Jim »

I just got back from picking the Truck up its not as much of a project as I had expected from Ebay... only a few dings. It was exacty as listed except the interior is tan not gray as listed. 106 miles today without a problem. :D
Best Regards, Jim
SlickDaddy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by SlickDaddy »

well I think the question that everyone wants answered is:

Did it come with the orange cone in the bed or was that extra?

-Slick
Jim

Post by Jim »

SlickDaddy wrote:well I think the question that everyone wants answered is:

Did it come with the orange cone in the bed or was that extra?

-Slick
Two orange cones came with. The Co. that owned it did underground cabling & residential Cable TV hookups. The Pres. said Comcast cut his reimbursement last year & he lost money on Res. hookup so he is now only doing the underground work (selling all small trucks). He has a like new 2001 on Ebay now that is real nice. He's a car guy one of the last items he bought on Ebay was a 1970 Chevelle for $28,000.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 2403773312

:shock: that tailgate liner even has cup holders...Kewl
Best Regards, Jim
Jim

Post by Jim »

My son & I spent the snowy day on the truck. The neighbors must think I'm strange, :o at 9:30 this morning I put the Corvette out & brought in the crapy truck. All it needed for State Inspection was bulbs in the third brake light & the Emergency brake adjusted. We spent the rest of the day cleaning it inside & out. Tomorrow I had a windshield scheduled to be put in. I don't think they'll make it in 2 feet of snow. :shock:
Best Regards, Jim
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Jim wrote:My son & I spent the snowy day on the truck. The neighbors must think I'm strange, :o at 9:30 this morning I put the Corvette out & brought in the crapy truck. All it needed for State Inspection was bulbs in the third brake light & the Emergency brake adjusted. We spent the rest of the day cleaning it inside & out. Tomorrow I had a windshield scheduled to be put in. I don't think they'll make it in 2 feet of snow. :shock:

4wheel drive won't even make it in that much snow!
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

quickbiker wrote:
Jim wrote:My son & I spent the snowy day on the truck. The neighbors must think I'm strange, :o at 9:30 this morning I put the Corvette out & brought in the crapy truck. All it needed for State Inspection was bulbs in the third brake light & the Emergency brake adjusted. We spent the rest of the day cleaning it inside & out. Tomorrow I had a windshield scheduled to be put in. I don't think they'll make it in 2 feet of snow. :shock:

4wheel drive won't even make it in that much snow!

I don't know. My old Jeep with the 6" lift and 33" BFG Mudders might have. It did pretty good back in that "Blizzard of '96" we got. Now my CC with no lift and the crappy stock street tread tires (half worn down no less)? Forget it. It's still sitting in the garage.

By the way, I was going to check out the Core4x4 meeting Saturday but with all the snow, I figure it got cancelled. I'm interested in joining and going on some of these rides. I may to at least get better tires before I try though.
Warnoffroad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Warnoffroad »

quickbiker wrote: 4wheel drive won't even make it in that much snow!

:lol: Well I dont know about that, how big of a running start would I get?
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

warnoffroad wrote:

I started from my garage (I was backed in). I put it in 4hi took aim and floored it. Fortunately, my driveway was a straight shot to the road but even so it got a little scary the way I was drifting side to side while I was trying to line up on the open gate at the end. And then there were the cedar trees on the other side of the road. I almost didn't stop in time.

Beats any Disney ride I've been on!
Warnoffroad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Warnoffroad »

GaryH wrote:
warnoffroad wrote:

I started from my garage (I was backed in). I put it in 4hi took aim and floored it. Fortunately, my driveway was a straight shot to the road but even so it got a little scary the way I was drifting side to side while I was trying to line up on the open gate at the end. And then there were the cedar trees on the other side of the road. I almost didn't stop in time.

Beats any Disney ride I've been on!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jim

Post by Jim »

Ebay Project truck is coming along nicely :D with more Ebay parts.

Factory alloy wheels $221 8)

9000 mi bench seat from my own town $90 :shock:

Still need to fix the pass door...yards want to much $ & haven't found a white one yet!

Best Regards, Jim
Black03ZR5
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Black03ZR5 »

Jim,

All I can say is wow. Those wheels really make a big difference. Why did you take of the topper though. :wink:

Dave
Jim

Post by Jim »

Black03ZR5 wrote:Jim,

All I can say is wow. Those wheels really make a big difference. Why did you take of the topper though. :wink:

Dave

I'm not a topper guy & it was dented up badly. It looked like I had the cable guy staying at my house :lol:
Best Regards, Jim
Black03ZR5
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Black03ZR5 »

Jim wrote:
Black03ZR5 wrote:Jim,

Dave

I'm not a topper guy & it was dented up badly. It looked like I had the cable guy staying at my house :lol:
Jim,

You missed my sarcasm or I missed yours, heh.

Dave :lol:
Warnoffroad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Warnoffroad »

:shock: That truck looks awsome. Are you going to drop or go with the pre runner look?
Jim

Post by Jim »

warnoffroad wrote::shock: That truck looks awsome. Are you going to drop or go with the pre runner look?

Possible 2/2 Drop w/springs only, the extremes & ZQ8s are that way.

Paint the bumpers & grill shell white

For now I am enjoying seeing the gas station less often :D 26 MPG yo! :D

But the thing won't get out of it's own way...2.2 w/AT :shock:
Best Regards, Jim
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Jim wrote:Possible 2/2 Drop w/springs only, the extremes & ZQ8s are that way.

I would recommend the drop spindles for the front. That way you will maintain the suspension travel and ride characteristics. My neighbor picked up a pair on ebay for around $100 with 2" block and u-bolt kit for the rear.

It just looks right. Not too low.

I've noticed that it is really hard to get the right drop using aftermarket springs. If you get the drop you want after a year it sags and ends up unbearably low.

If you cut or drop leafs you alter the spring rates and sacrifice ride, then you have to look forward to the future sag, too.

Spindles or drop pocket a-arms , raised rear brackets or rear blocks are the best options, IMO

As for the performance, add a good quality tuned header with a free flowing exhaust!

You could gain HP and mileage!

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Jim

Post by Jim »

HenryJ wrote:

I would recommend the drop spindles for the front. That way you will maintain the suspension travel and ride characteristics. My neighbor picked up a pair on ebay for around $100 with 2" block and u-bolt kit for the rear.

I've noticed that it is really hard to get the right drop using aftermarket springs. If you get the drop you want after a year it sags and ends up unbearably low.

If you cut or drop leafs you alter the spring rates and sacrifice ride, then you have to look forward to the future sag, too.

This truck is really bumpy riding either the rear springs are extra heavy or the shocks are super duty they are huge, it rides like their is no suspension in the rear. I may consider a softer ride spring, the truck was titled w/ a 7000 GVW in Maryland. I also leans to the drivers side even w/ an empty tank.
Best Regards, Jim
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Jim wrote: This truck is really bumpy riding either the rear springs are extra heavy or the shocks are super duty they are huge, it rides like their is no suspension in the rear. I may consider a softer ride spring
You are right there, a spring shop will probably need to set-up a whole new spring pack.

The front is coils , right?

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

Jim wrote:
HenryJ wrote:

This truck is really bumpy riding either the rear springs are extra heavy or the shocks are super duty they are huge, it rides like their is no suspension in the rear. I may consider a softer ride spring, the truck was titled w/ a 7000 GVW in Maryland. I also leans to the drivers side even w/ an empty tank.

IIRC, you could get the Z85 springs in the 2wd to make it Heavy Duty. That's probably what you got. Check the codes as it would be interesting to see what options you got. My suggestion is to replace the leaf springs and coils with new ones(lower ones also?) as it will probably ride much better. I know someone with drop spindles. Let me see if he still has them as he sold his s10 over a year ago.

Cheers,

Con
Jim

Post by Jim »

Conman wrote:
Jim wrote:
HenryJ wrote: I would recommend the drop spindles for the front. That way you will maintain the suspension travel and ride characteristics. My neighbor picked up a pair on ebay for around $100 with 2" block and u-bolt kit for the rear.

IIRC, you could get the Z85 springs in the 2wd to make it Heavy Duty. That's probably what you got. Check the codes as it would be interesting to see what options you got. My suggestion is to replace the leaf springs and coils with new ones(lower ones also?) as it will probably ride much better. I know someone with drop spindles. Let me see if he still has them as he sold his s10 over a year ago.

Cheers,

Con

Here's a pic of the glove box sticker I don't know were to look for the code:

Best Regards, Jim
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Reading from left to right starting at the top:

The first is the VIN #

1= US built

G=General Motors

C=Chevrolet truck

C=4,001-5,00 HYD brake

S=Conventional cab-4x2

1=1/2 ton nominal

4= Body type two door cab

4= Engine type?

0=Check digit

W=Model year

K =Plant location, Linden , NJ

243010=Plant sequence number

108.3=Wheel base

CS10603=Model designation

A52=Seat , front bench

BG9=Covering, floor rubber

C5T=GVW 4200 lbs

C60=HVAC System Air conditioner, Front manual controls

D44=Mirror, outside, color

EVA=Test DVT, Evaporator emission requirement

E63=Body equipment fleetside PUBX

FE9=?

GT5=Axle rear 4.10 ratio (dup with GT8)

JM3=Booster brake, 240mm tandem high flow

K60=Generator, 100 amp

LIN=?

LN2=Engine, gas , 4cyl, 2.2L, MFI

M30=Transmission automatic 4 speed 4L60E, electronic

NF2=Emission system, federal, tier 1

N40=Steering power, Non variable ratio

PH1=Wheel 15x7, steel

QCE=Tire, P205/75R15N black wall all season

RSA=Restraint front seat, auto, passive

R6V=?

SLM=?

T61=Lighting, daytime running

UM6=Radio, AM/FM stereo ,seek/scan , autoreverse cassette, clock

UP8=Radio provisions for stereo instrumentation

U73=Antenna, fixed, radio

VF6=Bumper rear step

VP6=Noise control

VXS=?

V73=?

XCE=Tire front P205/75R15N black wall

X88=Conversion name PLT chevrolet

YCE=Tire rear P205/75R15N black wall

YD3=Axle (base equip) for scheduling GVW plate

YD5=Spring front base equipment

YD6=Spring rear base equipment

ZAA=Tire , spare compact

ZY1=Color combination, solid

Z83=Chassis package solid smooth ride

1SA=Option package 01

1SZ=?

6MP=?

7MP=?

92D=?

921=?

BC/CC= Paint technology (base coat /clear coat)

U 8624=Exterior color

92D=Order number

Some of this is incomplete and may not be correct I am using the decoder in the 2001 Helm's manual.

What you need to find is a rig in the wrecking yard with good suspension,

and the RPO code in the glove box that reads: Z87=Chassis package lowrider performance :bounce:

Hope it is of some help :D

EDIT Filled in some of the blanks using the RPO search engine on the stock info page.
Last edited by HenryJ on Wed Mar 12, 2003 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

So if you have the Z83, that's the normal suspension. Maybe they swapped the springs out with HD ones.

Con
Jim

Post by Jim »

The door is on the road to repair...Now it just needs to see bondo-bob & paint it. I'll do the fender when I have the door on saw horses doing the plastic work.

Last edited by Jim on Fri Apr 18, 2003 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Best Regards, Jim
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

nice work! :D
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
Jim

Post by Jim »

Worked on this from 8:00 AM to 8:00PM today...got it in primer :D

BEFORE SHOT
Best Regards, Jim
Jim

Post by Jim »

Finally the body is finished. I painted the lower section of the cab corner, door, fender & the drivers side bed two weeks ago, Fathers day & I painted the bumpers the body color yesterday. The drivers side bed was boogered up from it's life as a parts delivery truck. As soon as I find a image hosting place that works, (Village Photos is not working at the time of writing this).
Best Regards, Jim
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

Jim wrote:Finally the body is finished. I painted the lower section of the cab corner, door, fender & the drivers side bed two weeks ago, Fathers day & I painted the bumpers the body color yesterday. The drivers side bed was boogered up from it's life as a parts delivery truck. As soon as I find a image hosting place that works, (Village Photos is not working at the time of writing this).

http://www.montypics.com

2meg linkable free. It's run by some Mitsu guys at another forum. Yahoo gives you 6megs free but no true linking though.

Cheers,

Con
Jim

Post by Jim »

Conman wrote:
Jim wrote:Finally the body is finished. I painted the lower section of the cab corner, door, fender & the drivers side bed two weeks ago, Fathers day & I painted the bumpers the body color yesterday. The drivers side bed was boogered up from it's life as a parts delivery truck. As soon as I find a image hosting place that works, (Village Photos is not working at the time of writing this).

http://www.montypics.com

2meg linkable free. It's run by some Mitsu guys at another forum. Yahoo gives you 6megs free but no true linking though.

Cheers,

Con

Best Regards, Jim
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

Nice and Clean!!! Your a really nice Dad! :D

Cheers,

Con
Mike H.
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Mike H. »

Looks good. I gotta paint my back bumper white.......
[size=75][url=http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mikeh3235/lst?.dir=/&.src=ph&.done=http%3a//f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mikeh3235/lst%3f%26.dir=/2002%2bGMC%2bCrew%2bCab-Spacers%26.src=ph%26.view=l&.view=l]Yahoo Photo Pages[/url]
(previous) 2002 GMC Sonoma Crew Cab
(now) 2004 Nissan Titan LE 4x4 Crew Cab[/size]
Jim

Post by Jim »

Here is that damaged side finished

Before

Best Regards, Jim
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Sweeeet! Nice job!