Eee sub laptop computer!

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

WileyHunter
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Eee sub laptop computer!

Post by WileyHunter »

Well I finally ordered it yesterday! Should ship tomorrow and be here by Wed/Thurs.

I got the Win XP (only so I can run that GPS that I picked up here). I will be setting it up for dual boot though. Ubuntu as primary and XP only when needed for GPS. I will need to get a USB CD drive now, or a 8 Gb USB stick drive, for the Ubuntu install. But wait, yes I will NEED the Cd drive, for the Delorme install.

Ok, well I will let you know what I think of the setup once I get it going. I've used a friend's Eee with Xandros on it, was ok but he was setup in "easy" mode and I felt too limited. Plus Xandros doesn't recognize the 2 Gb RAM that I am upgrading to.

Total cost shipped to door... $430.00 with a rush processing request (speeds up the ship date possibly 3 days). From newegg. Just don't ask them any questions concerning options or capabilities and you'll be fine. :?:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

More details please.
Processor, drive, etc. Link to the unit with tech specs would be nice.

Delorme software can be installed from a copy on a USB memory card. I did it for one of the old laptops with a shot CD drive.

I did a little looking at the ASUS R2H UMPC. It has GPS built in, wireless b/g and bluetooth.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
WileyHunter
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WileyHunter »

Good to know, HJ! Yeah, I'll post all that info in a little bit. Just got up from passing out from lack of sleep over last few days. (or maybe I'm sleep typing)...

WH
WileyHunter
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WileyHunter »

http://www.eeeuser.com/

Link above has alot of info on the Eee line. Also has links to forum which has many topics on various configurations. It comes stock with either Win XP or Xandros linux. Comes in multiple colors now, most common are black or white.

Specs Link (to Newegg)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6834220246

While I got mine from NewEgg, I would think twice based on this experience. They know nothing about products they sell (fortunately I did), paid extra for "rush" processing and 3 day delivery (they split order and sent memory on 1st day "fulfills rush order" and sent the puter next day, both to take 4 + days to get here) :x Did not get order update until I called and asked about it, supposed to be automatic.

On the forum you will find postings on various "hacks" that are available to do on these toys. Many people are putting the Verizon Wireless dongle inside. Others are modding with touchscreens. There's a section for loading Ubuntu (my favorite linux). The list is almost endless.

I love the idea of solid state hard drive, no moving parts to worry about when traveling. Should be great for using as GPS in the CC (especially off road). :wink:

I am adding 1 GB of memory right off the bat. Will be adding a 8GB SDHC chip as a expanded hard drive. Dual boot option with XP (alright) and Ubuntu. And from there who knows?

WH
WileyHunter
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WileyHunter »

Ok, so I finally got a chance to set it up...

I got the 701 (Win XP) version.
Installed the 1 Gb DIMM chip (maybe should've went to 2 Gb for the price but oh well).

Got a 4 Gb USB stick and 4 GB SDHC chip.

I 'lightened' up XP by taking quite a bit of the "Junk" out. Then copied the DeLorme software to the USB stick (after a failed attempt using the SDHC). I then installed from the USB to the SDHC. It took about half of the chip, I also installed openOffice for XP on the SDHC. Now if when I want to go dual boot with Ubuntu Linux I can pull the SDHC and insert one with U/L on it to boot from. Will have to limit the storage of U/L to a USB stick though as the internal HD only has about 2 Gb left (of the original 4). I test drove the system with the GPS onboard and it works GREAT!!! Now to find a good method to install it in the vehicles (will search for it soon).

It may only be a 7 inch screen, but for the money it was well worth it.

I figure I could have bought a tom-tom or garmin for about the same $$$ but I wouldn't be able to check e-mail on the road, play games, or watch movies with it. One guy from work is upset cause he went with the Xandros system and now wants to dual boot so he can have USB GPS. It's sooo much easier to go XP first then dual with Linux (imho).

WH
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Sounds cool!

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I got a Asus Eee PC for the wifes B day present.
1000HE. Added 2 GB ram.
She is hooked! Awesome little laptop. Running XP, wireless, bluetooth, webcam. Nice size keyboard.
Great bang for the buck.
She has had lots of fun Skype-ing her family.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
jedthrocornpone
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by jedthrocornpone »

Brule on that Eee is it the one that uses SSD or a spinning hard drive?

I have been wanting one of the SSD one for in the truck for geocaching and wifi browsing while out and about and as a second internet browser while at home(teatherd with a cable) but I can't get anyone I know (trust) to buy one so I an pick there brain.

I see that the HP mini10 is now in the same price piont too(refurbished), any thoughts?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Eee Pc 1000HE
160G large H.D.D.

I would not be afraid to mount it in my truck. I have an old 15" Compaq that has been in there for years. Excellent way to Geocache. You get to see them on the map and scout the area. When we get close we grab the handheld and narrow in.

- ThunderII KE7CSK