Dune Flag, Safety Flag

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Dune Flag, Safety Flag

Post by HenryJ »

Dune flag, Safety flag, ORV flag, ATV flag

Heights seem to be 8'-10' and an orange flag within 10" of the top. 6"x10" seems to be the minimum flag dimension.

Some places require it some do not. In the trees it doesn't make much sense. Visibility may be a good safety item for desert travel.

I like the look of this one: Ebay - safety flag

Neat idea. I am sure it is just tent poles with the elastic to join them. An airline coupler with a compression by pipe thread fitting. All easily replaceable parts if damaged. I plan to mount the whip to the roller fairlead of my winch. The winch is removable and can be installed on the front or rear if needed. I usually pack it on the front. That mounting point will put the base at just over 30".
If I need another foot, I just add a tent pole section to it. I have plenty of the high quality shock cord to re-string it if needed.
The whip comes off quick and breaks down for storage. Pop it off and stow while traveling in the trees, or down the highway.

I ordered it in aluminum. I wonder if that might be more rigid? It will be lighter weight. That may or may not be an advantage.

I don't need more "bling". That is not my style. I do like to be prepared and I know parks are requiring these as are Oregon coast beach areas. I would like to have the option.

Around here there really is nothing available. I have no idea how you would get a 8' long whip shipped inexpensively. The model that breaks down sure seems like a nice way to not only get it shipped, but stow it as well.
I will not be using it frequently. Durability may not be a real issue. I am sure a one piece fiberglass whip would be stronger. Do I really need that for the couple times I may be required to have a safety flag?

Links:
Devil Woman Custom Flags
AdiTude Gear flags

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Brule, I just came back inside from relocating a CB antenna mount and quick disconnect. As usual, a really easy task went to hades in very short time! :lol: I'll have an extra CB mount now but, have you come across anything that suggests that the thread size is interchangeable with CB antennas and the trail flags?
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I am sure something could be adapted to fit. What thread does the CB antenna mount have?

The mount I will have is going to be big, I think. It looks to be 1/2" NC thread. That is just a guess from the photos though.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I was referring to the standard antenna threading and not the mount itself. I don't know the proper nomenclature for one of the standardized CB connections but, it seems pretty common. I'll do a little more research and should come up with something. :wink:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

f9k9 wrote:I was referring to the standard antenna threading and not the mount itself.
I think we were on the same wave length. I was referring to the female threads in the top of your mount.
I have seen a few different threads used on CB antennas. I don't know which mount you have.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

$20 quick diso that obviously doesn't freakin' disco once mounted :lol: Worked well out of the package. A simple push down and twist.

This piece in the center is female on both ends. Am I making any sense? The thread seems to be universal with CB radios. A quick disco would be an asset to have with a trail flag (and antenna too :x )

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Sure seems like you should be able to find a simple whip that would attach.
I would guess you are working with a 3/8" NF thread. Coupling nuts can be used to join male to male. A piece of threaded stock to join female to female. You may find the right combination.
Adding a compression fitting to attach a smooth rod may be a little trickier.
I don't have good suggestions for where to look. CB antennas could be used, but seem to cost more than a comparable whip.
I would be tempted to order the same whip I bought and install it into your existing bracket. It is a quick coupled attachment. Your mount is higher and you might need to cut the whip down. I am not sure if it would get you past a requirement for it to be mounted at the forward most point though.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Thanks! I'll keep an eye open for something that will work. I am sure that others have thought of the same combo long before I did.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I have the base of an old 3/8" fiberglass antenna (threaded part that the pole slides into) and the coupling nut.
I think you could pick up an inexpensive whip from a bicycle shop and epoxy it into this base.
Say the word and I'll drop it in an envelope.

With what you have pictured, you would have what you need to fly a flag.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:..............Say the word and I'll drop it in an envelope............
"The word" but, I reimburse you for this and the last shipment! :wink:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

f9k9 wrote:"The word" but, I reimburse you for this and the last shipment!
I mailed it today. Put it in the tank for gas to Moab :)

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

:lol: $1.34 worth of fuel might just get you out of the driveway!

- ThunderII KE7CSK
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Only if it's down hill
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

04crewvt wrote:Only if it's down hill
I think his is, but it is a long driveway ;)

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

04crewvt wrote:Only if it's down hill
Stop it! :lol:

Let's talk crate engines :wink:
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Let's talk crate engines :wink:
Or hot water heatersImage
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

BeSeenwear.com flag and pole with quick couplerarrived today.
Fast shipping, nice quality. It is just over 9' to the tip mounted. Folded it fits nicely ,behind the back seat, upright next to the hiking poles.
Nicely done. I am pleased that I now have the option and is is easy to carry.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:I have the base of an old 3/8" fiberglass antenna (threaded part that the pole slides into) and the coupling nut............
Came in today. Looks great! Mr's Hoff got all excited with the chance to ride me about buying something. :lol: She frowned when I showed her the envelope :wink: She knew it meant "low cost" or "no cost"! :!:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

f9k9 wrote:... Mr's Hoff got all excited with the chance to ride me about buying something... She frowned when I showed her the envelope ...
Priceless! That was worth the postage :lol:

I have seen some replacement tent poles with shock cord at the local Bimart. It was in the camping supplies section. That is all mine is made from. A vacuum line cap at the top hides the knot for the shock cord. Two rubber o-rings fit snugly to the pole to locate the flag. The flag could have a stitched loop, or velcro flap like mine. Either would hold it to the pole.

I think you could easily epoxy the pole into that base and have a really nice set-up on a shoestring budget.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:.............I have seen some replacement tent poles with shock cord at the local Bimart. It was in the camping supplies section. ..........
Brule, you do not realize how fortunate you "left coast" guys are. I cannot begin to count up all the (Bimart, Boise Spring Works, Shakers........etc) references that have come up through the years. I just do not have anything close, This will be an online search/purchase to make it work. :D We just do not have the resources that you apparently have. The bottom line is that it will work and I really appreciate the connector. :wink:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:...............Now you just need to choose a flag :)
Thanks! :)
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Dune Flag, Safety Flag

Post by HenryJ »

I finally took my own advice and made another safety flag. "Wally world" had a replacement tent pole set. Four two foot fiberglass poles , end caps and shock cord for $6.88. I stopped by the local NAPA and picked up an airline quick coupler and a 1/4" NPT x 3/8" compression coupler. Those two came to just over $7.

First I cut one female end off of one of the poles. Then assembled three with shock cord. Slipped the cut end into the compression coupler and tightened it up. Add the airline coupler and the pole is ready. I had an old safety orange vest that I cut and stitched to make a nice sized flag. Add to that one of the vinyl "BLT Offroad" decals.
I had a couple O-rings that fit the pole. Slide one down far enough for the flag. Add another above the flag and push the end cap on.

$14 for a custom collapsible dune flag. Not too shabby.

The mount is easy. Using a male airline coupler with a female 1/4" NPT end. Tap the threads using a 1/2" NPT bottom tap. It will then accept a short 1/2" NPT bolt. One flat washer and one lock washer is enough to tighten properly on 1/8" steel.
I currently have mounts on the front of the truck. More precisely on the cradle mounted winch. The rear rack of the TW200 and now one on the LF corner of the BLT Offroad trailer.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

:thumb: