Recovery Gear

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Recovery Gear

Post by F9K9 »

I just pulled the trigger on a Warn 8274 that had one pull on it.

WARN wrote:M8274-50 SELF-RECOVERY WINCH
FASTEST LINE SPEED, LONGEST ROPE
The veteran WARN winch still has the fastest no-load line speed (73.4 feet per minute) and the longest rope in the WARN self-recovery lineup (150' of 5/16" wire rope). Because of these impressive stats, the M8274-50 is the preferred winch for off-road challenge events. Its unique spurgear drivetrain and upright design has proven to be reliable, and its braking system delivers smooth operation with excellent heat dissipation. Roller fairlead, remote with 12' lead, free-spool clutch, and battery cables are included.
HenryJ wrote:SWEET! I picked up a snatch block at a reasonable price recently. If you need one I'll see if I can find the information.
That is a good tool you bought there.
That info would be appreciated, Brule.

I picked up a "treesaver" for an ungodly cheap price somewhere but, I can't remember where. I'll remember eventually and hook you up if, you don't have one.

I really wasn't ready for the winch and wanted to complete a bolt in sport cage on the heep first. I have the cage enroute but, the winch deal was way to good to pass up. MSRP is $1,500 on those puppies and I paid just a little over 1/2 that.

I want to use the winch on the CC too but, it is going to take some planning. I don't want to go your (the easiest one) route with the hitch mount. This thing is mounted "feet front", not down like 99% of the other winches.

150' or wire rope may come in handy in your high deserts and around Moab.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

A good pair of gloves I know you already have. For cable I am sure you know to drape a heavy jacket or piece of carpet to catch the cable should it break. Carpet can be handy as a traction tool and mat for crawling under the truck. It rolls up easy for stowing.
A couple snatch straps, I am sure you also own. These can be used for coupling vehicles together to create an anchor. Your Jeep and truck are both pretty light and may need a hand to hold firmly.

A snatch block can be handy for a change in direction, or to double the pull. Rate it at twice the winch rating. I did lots of looking as these are pretty darn expensive for no more use than I will give one. T-max was my choice at first. The local 4wheel parts store grand opening offered them at a discount, but they were out of stock an hour after the opening bell, so I missed that deal.
I ended up buying one off ebay.
It was listed as "Heavy-Duty 20,000 LB ATV Winch Snatch Block" and sold by prolineparts
Total shipped was $27 Current ebay item

It may not have oilless bearings and require periodic lubrication. No grease zerks or fancy cast steel housing, but at less than half the price of others, I think it will do the job. It is plenty beefy. If I were winching every day, then prehaps I might look to another , or buy T-max, once this one is worn out :mg:

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:.......A snatch block can be handy for a change in direction, or to double the pull.................
We do try hard to have an "experienced tail gunner" at the rear of a ride but, things like obstacle bypasses always makes things tend to rearrange the order of things :lol: That snatch block is one heck of a deal for anyone that is unfamiliar with the normal costs. I am going to bid on one tonight. :wink:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

f9k9 wrote:............................That snatch block is one heck of a deal for anyone that is unfamiliar with the normal costs. I am going to bid on one tonight. :wink:
17 hrs and counting down. You didn't mention if, you had a good tree saver or not, Brule.

We don't condone the use of chains in recovery's or synthetic straps with metal ends. For the uninformed there is a difference between tow and recovery straps.

Recovery straps have some elasticity built into them for a minor run to give a forgivable tug when the slack is run out. Towing straps do not have that factored in.

I don't recall what I was driving but, it was either a late 80s Ramcharger or full size Bronco. I can't even recall what the jerk was doing that made me try to run after him. Anyway, I buried the rig in a drainage ditch in the middle of a little town called Salt Lick, KY. I had a brand new synthetic tow rope with metal ends. A local watching all of this unravel decided to jump in to help me.

He grabbed that pos tow rope and hooked up to his rig and I tossed it on a front bumper brace on my rig. I didn't caution the lad (my fault) and before I knew it, he was laying down black marks with 10' or more of slack in the rope. I do not know what came over me but, I saw that the situation was not going to end on a positive note.

I just laid down, my rig did not move out of the ditch, the bumper took me all night to hammer it into a shape that roughly resembled it's original form. I got a body shop friend and a salvage yard owner out of bed to get the rig presentable before Monday morning.

The bad guy (if, he was even a bad guy) got away and I learned not to use tow straps for recovery operations . I also learned not to use metal on tow straps Luckily for me this was just a couple of years before I became a K9 handler. I can only imagine a K9 dodging broken glass and metal hooks coming through his domain plus, having his water hole spilled!

I am only tossing this stuff out to you because, I didn't have forums to read and the opportunity to learn by others mistakes.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

f9k9 wrote:You didn't mention if, you had a good tree saver or not, Brule.
I do have a short 10" wide sling that is used as a tree saver. I don't carry is though as I don't have trees around here very often. More like Moab.
I use it for lifting body parts off frame during restorations more than recovery ;)

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Scored the snatch block at the starting price of $14.00. :D I looked at some at lunch at TSC for $44 but, anything with the name Champion scares me.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

:thumb: The shipping is a little high, but it all works out with the low purchase price. Apply one of those spare "Warn" stickers from the new winch and you have a high dollar snatch block :lol:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Finally installed the 8274. I see some potential cooling issues. :lol:

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Looks good. I see quite a few around here with all that up front. You should be ok for cooling. You probably still have more exposed than our trucks have with nothing on the front.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I hope you're right but, more than one has had issues when mixed with an auto. We'll see. :wink:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

This looks like a nice shackle block.

Marlin Crawler D-Ring Shackle Block

Priced at $34.99

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

It does look good and that is the first that I have seen with the capability to be mounted on both axis. Still, $35 w/o a shackle, in hand. is bumping Warn's prices. I shopped a long time for my Warn but, it still has that one word that makes me cringe! Do the Aussies offer something compatible?