What is your actual gas milage?

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

What is your actual gas milage?

Post by fallvitals »

Hey, new member here.

Let me start,. my first truck was a Chevy S-10 regular cab, 2wd, 4.3, auto. Had it seven years, I traded it tonight for a 2003 S-10 Crew Cab, 4x4 4.3 obviously, only 55K miles.

I read the s-10 crew cab gets 15/19mpg. What ltitle bit of driving i have done with it so far, and test driving it seems like it is gonna do worst then 15mpg. So, im curious, what kind of MPG do you all get?

Once I run this tank down and can do the math i will have a better idea, I hope I am wrong. I do 95% city driving. I wil do all the basics, air filter, sprak plugs, wires, etc.

So far I like this truck. I just dislike how low it sets for a 4wd. (is it still a offroad capable truck?) If it is as reliable as my old s-10 i will be happy with it.

thanks guys.
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

Welcome aboard.

Looks like you've got some reading to do. All of the issues you bring up have been discussed in excruciating detail here.

Gas mileage depends on a great many factors. Not the least of which is you and how you drive your CC.

Almost everyone here has made some modification to change the stance/appearance of their CC. These mods range from a couple turns on the torsion bars to ridiculously HUGE lifts.

Take a look around and I think you'll find that your questions are not easily answered but are very well covered here.

Good luck. :wink:
[size=67][i]"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."[/i][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Maintaining something close to the advertised numbers for fuel mileage is going to be difficult at best.
I don't know where you are from as it is not added in your profile, but if you have to use E-10 fuel like my state has mandated, be prepared to lose about 10% on your mileage.
If you do 95% city driving, plan to get 13-15 mpg at best. Even with a good tune and some modifications that may be all you can do.

Welcome and enjoy the forum.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Well put, Ambassador Barch!Image
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

My 01 S10 Crew Cab averaged 16-17 mpg city/hwy.

The best gas mileage I recorded in my CC was 21 mpg and the worst I ever got was 14 mpg.

My 05 ZR2 Blazer averages 18-19 mpg city/hwy.

The best gas mileage I've recorded so far in my ZR2 is 23 mpg and the worst is 15 mpg.

You can spend a ton of money upgrading these vehicles and still get crappy gas mileage if you have a lead foot.

In order to get good gas mileage in any vehicle remember 2 words (lug and coast).

Try to keep rpms under 2000 during normal acceleration, try to keep the vehicle in higher gears as much as possible (lugging the engine), and judge the distance to the next stop and coast all the way to it. :wink:

Steve
raven2510
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by raven2510 »

HenryJ wrote:Maintaining something close to the advertised numbers for fuel mileage is going to be difficult at best.
I don't know where you are from as it is not added in your profile, but if you have to use E-10 fuel like my state has mandated, be prepared to lose about 10% on your mileage.
If you do 95% city driving, plan to get 13-15 mpg at best. Even with a good tune and some modifications that may be all you can do.

Welcome and enjoy the forum.
perfectly said. i get about the same in the city too. but on the highway going 55-65 i get 19-23mpg
cubanfisher
Regular
Regular

Post by cubanfisher »

i live 3 miles from work i get 13.2 mpg in the city and when i make long trips to like tampa i get 20.5 mpg.
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

since I have had my CC for a while now,

in town im getting 15mpg avg

only was on one highway trip so far, had a 40mph headwing all the way there, not sure if it effected MPG, but i got 19.9mpg highway
jayhawkclint
Regular
Regular

Post by jayhawkclint »

Wish I could tell of some magical modification that I've done to produce these results, but I just recorded a 23mpg tank a week ago. The truck has over 150k on it and is running better now than I think it did 100k ago. Even though that tank was the best I've ever recorded, the average isn't too shabby either as it's been averaging 20-22mpg highway since replacing my t-stat with a stock unit a couple months ago, I think it is a 195* can't remember for sure though.
MoJoe
Crew
Crew

Post by MoJoe »

I avg 18.3 combined driving.
Joey
4WD Crew Cab, just not an S-10 anymore ;)
YellowCrewCabber
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by YellowCrewCabber »

Last weekend I made a trip to St. Louis carrying myself about 190 lbs. and extra cargo in the back seat between 75 and 100 lbs. On the way back I pushed it to see how far I could get on a full tank. I got 294 miles with about a gallon of gas left in the tank. (took almost 17 gallons to fill her up again) I am going to verify my speedo with my neighbors GPS and will give an update. If the speedo is off, I don't think it's off by much.
[size=75]04 ZR5 CC

Xbox Live Gamer Tag-Gefke6367[/size]
MinnesotaMudder
Crew
Crew

Post by MinnesotaMudder »

i have a 2004 ZR5 with a 6'' lift and i get 14 MPG in town and 18 to 19 MPG on highwayand my speeddometer is only off by 1 MPH i think that is pretty good with a 6'' lift.
kxracer
Crew
Crew

Post by kxracer »

18 town, 20.5 at 80+ with a headwind on the interstate. My last truck that I had was lifted and got about 17 in town, and it was a 2.4 liter 4-cylinder.
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

I was avg'ng about 14 for mixed highway/city mpg and 18 or 19 mpg for strictly highway about a month or so ago on a trip to the coast of NC & before my delayed tuned up..... :lol: I'll have to check in the next couple fill-ups.
[size=75]'01 CC w/ a bunch of Mods. More always on the way.
Realization...All women need medication...Just find one on the right medication & make sure she stays on it!!!![/size]
davejb851
Regular
Regular

fuel mileage

Post by davejb851 »

I've been keeping a record of my mileage since I got my 2002 CC. As of right now most of the driving has been highway, with the A/C on (and windows up..duhh!) I have done a small amount of city stuff, and carrying some heavy (free) oak logs as well. Most of the highway stuff was 65-70 mph.
I don't have a bed cover, which I believe might help a little, but I've been getting a consistent 18 mpg average.
I'm pretty pleased with the averages!
[size=75]I tell my Boy Scouts.....leadership isn't a job, it's an attitude! Lead by example!
2002 CC bone stock...for now - 2001 Aztek AWD - 1997 Land Rover Discovery[/size]
rlrnr53
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by rlrnr53 »

You guys are lucky. I'm lucky toget about 12-14 mpg mixed driving, with about 20mpg on the highway. I don't usually drive much faster than about 60-65 mph on the highway, most of the time a little slower. This is after a tune up and fuel filter change.
[size=75]Mitch
2001 Polo Green Metallic, no mods,(can't afford any)[/size]
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Mine went down a good bit when I put my 33s on. But right as I put them on, Go-Mart went from straight gas to E-10 crap gas.

Was getting 15 city 20 highway WITH my speedo being 1.5mph faster then actual speed. So im sure it was a hair less then that.

With BFG AT 33x9.5 and correct speedo, E-10 gas, I am getting 13.9 city 17.5 highway.

I think the tires have a little to do with it, but brule did the math for milage lose using e-10 gas, and it came up pretty much the same as the number I got. So, im blaming the gas for my MPG lose. I am also playing with the hyperech 87 octane setting (turned it off, it was on) to see if it makes a differane either way. And trying different gas stations to see if maybe one gas has less ethonal in it then another, but not holding my breath.

I also need to play with my air rpesure, maybe that can help me out a hair too. The city lose, I don't mind, its the highway that really bothers me, to me that says its not the tires. Since with my logic, with the tire I have, its narrow, lots of tread, low rolling resistance, might hurt city milage, but once on the highway, and constantly going, shouldnt be much of a differance, the way I see it if the new tires were my source of MPG lose.

Anyways, sorry for that long post...
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Highway 19.5-22.0. All city/short dirves 12.0-14.0. Delivering mail 106miles/day 140+stops 13.5-15.0. When driving in mud delivering mail 7.0-13.0 depending on severity of mud depth etc. All on 87 octane non-alchohol gas. Gasohol causes an 8% drop in all mileage figures for me which means it does not pay to run it as it is not enough cheaper to justify use. Premium regular causes a 2% increase in mileage which isn't enough to offset the local difference in price for it. Performance gains small to negligible.
235x75x15 BFG AT KO's at 35psi=3-4mpg loss at highway speeds as well as reductions at lower speeds. Increasing tires to max rating (50psi) brings mileage back to baseline figures. All highway figures are at limit to limit+5mph. I track every tank ever since buying the crew back in mid 05 as a maintainence indicator so I know to look for problems if mileage declines are noticed. Speedo is dead on as checked by mile markers, Scan Guage II, and GPS.
My :2: worth.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
Crew Cab Andy
Regular
Regular

Post by Crew Cab Andy »

I just got an average of 22.9 MPG on a 1000 mile trip mostly flat driving in the Central Valley of California with the cruise control at 70-75 mph and the A/C on I was very happy