Indianapolis

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Indianapolis

Post by barch97 »

The barches are planning a NASCAR weekend in Indiana late July. We'll be attending the CW Truck race (maybe the N'wide race too) at O'Reilly Raceway Park and of course the Brickyard race on Sunday.

We're not at all familiar with this area and are somewhat overwhelmed by the abundance of lodging choices and very wide range of prices. I'm hoping maybe some of you folks in and around the greater Indianapolis area might provide a little guidance.

So far it looks like Brownsburg is our best bet, pretty conveniently located as it will keep us outside the city and is a significantly more reasonably priced area. I'd just hate to get there and be committed to four or five nights in franchise hotel and have a spot across the street that's nicer, cheaper, better, etc.

Also, if there's any must see attractions in the area, we'd love to hear about 'em.

Anyway, thanks in advance. You fellas have been terrifically helpful with sort of thing in the past and I expect this time will be no exception.
[size=67][i]"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."[/i][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Brownsville is a great choice. You don't want to board in town. The costs are much higher and likely already booked.

If you don't have your seats yet, go high. Sitting track side you get to feel the thunder, but only get to see a few seconds worth. Up high you have a better chance to see around a turn. IIRC, turn three was a hot spot, although track changes have been made since that was the rule.

Get a good set of binoculars. Nice wide view and really clear. Take ear plugs or better yet ear muff hearing protectors. You also NEED a scanner. The rent them, but you can pick up one pretty reasonably so you have it for next time.

Go to Nascanner for the frequency list. Some Bearcat models will auto program a frequency range. I like that feature on mine.

Listening to your favorite team really adds to the experience. I use one ear bud under the head gear. Get a splitter and share the scanner.

Add me to the list of jealous. You are going to have a great time!

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

The further you stay from Indy the better. In fact, I'd bet most of the hotels are nearly booked for that weekend in town or close to town. If you don't mind a little drive on race days, maybe even consider Kokomo...it's only about 30-45 minutes north of 465 right on US31.

As for seat location...Northwest vista (turn 4)is the best...the higher the better...followed by E-stand (Turn 1). I had 500 tickets in NW Vista for 3 years in a row...but that ended after 2006 because sitting in the 95 degree weather in the sun, hungover with a sunburn from being on the lake the previous day was no fun. I changed to C-stand the next year so I'd have covered seats (shade and shelter from potential rain). They were right at the entrance to the pits on the outside of the track so I could see turn 4 and most of the front straight and the pits.

Also...if camping is an option...I have the number for a guy that lives 2 blocks from the track (2 blocks west of C-stand in fact) that allows camping in his yard. Not sure of the rates, but I do know that you can call him ahead and have him reserve a parking spot in his yard for you if you want to just park on race day and not camp. Parking was $20 I think. It's a pretty easy exit from the track after the race too. Email me and I'll send you his number and a map showing his location.

If you want more Indy advice, let me know. Other than me going to the 500 for several years, we lived down there for a year or so as well before moving to Plymouth, so I know a few places to hang out. :D

And if you want to scope out the view from the different seating areas on the track, check out this site...

http://indianaracing.net/indianapolis-m ... ting-guide
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
24digger
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 24digger »

Have to agree with northwest vista, went the first ten years sat about half way up and still could see very well.

Never sat anywhere else though so can't really say much about anywhere else.

Can't help much in the area of places to stay never had to stay anywhere only live about 30 min away.

It is a great experince you and family should have a great time.

Brownsburg may be a good choice to stay if you can find any vacancy
[size=75]2002 Yellow Crewcab, Gaylord X2000 Lid, Ventvisors, Painted to match bugshield, Stepshields, K&N filter,rear swaybar, Bed X-tender,Window Tint, 1.25" wheel spacers,overhead console with trip computer, steering wheel with radio controls, bilsteins, optima redtop, taylor wires. flowmaster 40 muffler, energy suspension swaybar bushings[/size]
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

Thanks, I do appreciate the input.

Sorry I didn't get back here sooner but I've been fightin' off the flu for about a week now and it's still kickin' my butt.

Lots of good info there. Sure to make this a more successful trip.
[size=67][i]"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."[/i][/size]
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

Have any of you guys been to a race at the ORP? I'm wondering if they typically sell out. We want to go to the camping world truck race on Friday night before the Brickyard race. Tickets are significantly cheaper than at Indy but freakin' ticketmaster wants an extra $7.50 each "convenience charge".

Might we be better off just buying tickets at the box office on race day? Or should I suck it up and stop being such a cheapskate?
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Ticketmaster is good for "add ons". I'd suck it up for the trip.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

ORP is nice...I've been to the drag strip for the US Nationals before. I'd buy in advance if you can. Most of the truck races seem to be far from sold out when watching on TV, but ORP is MUCH smaller than IMS, and there's lots of NASCAR fans in the Indy area (Indiana is Gordon, Stewart, and Newman country), so I'd suck it up and pay the fees to have guaranteed seats.
[size=75]Mark
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

WOO HOO!!!

Once again being a miser has paid off. My uncle works for an RV accessory manufacturer. He's got some comp tickets and pit passes for us.

:woohoo:
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

Very nice. Have you decided where you're staying yet?
[size=75]Mark
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

I hesitated a little too long to get a room in Brownsburg. So, we're staying in Franklin instead. A little further out of town than we wanted but the price was right.
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

Very nice. If you need the number of that guy I've used for parking, let me know.
[size=75]Mark
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

Thanks, I appreciate the offer but with the money we saved on ORP tickets, we splurged and bought a preferred parking pass at Indy.

In the mean time we're keeping our fingers crossed for tomorrow night in Richmond. Last time the race was postponed 'til Sunday afternoon while we waited out Hurricane Hanna.

:(