rear ended after watching a jeep flip

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

kermit
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

rear ended after watching a jeep flip

Post by kermit »

driving to work yesterday morning and i see smoke in front of me and a jeep wrangler cut 3 flips across 3 lanes of traffic landed upside down. i slammed on brakes to keep from hitting the car in front of me and then got tagged by a celica that got slammed by a jeep. I got knocked 2 car lengths up from where i had originally stopped. my hitch took the brunt of the impact. the frame buckled where the hitch is mounted. might get a new bed out of it... we'll see!

2003 Dark Green S-10 Crew Cab 4x4 with 265/70R17 Nitto Terra Grapplers on 17x8 Black Rock Type D Series 909B Wheels, TB crank, Boise Spring Works rear leaf spring kit, 2" PA body lift, Skidz Custom Cut-Out Fender Flares
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Ouch! Everybody ok?

Did your flares survive?

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
kermit
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kermit »

the guy that flipped the jeep broke his clavicle. thats all that i know of.

my driver side rear flare was already cracked in half and the passenger side rear flare was ripped from the screws towards the rear during the collision. I'm not sure yet if I am going to try to salvage the flares or just take this opportunity to get some body work done and go flareless.
2003 Dark Green S-10 Crew Cab 4x4 with 265/70R17 Nitto Terra Grapplers on 17x8 Black Rock Type D Series 909B Wheels, TB crank, Boise Spring Works rear leaf spring kit, 2" PA body lift, Skidz Custom Cut-Out Fender Flares
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Man I hope everyone was okay!!

I have got to get my sport cage installed in the heep.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jongo88 »

I'm glad your ok... That car that hit you is messed up...
Here is a bed for you.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/03-CREW- ... ccessories
2002 GMC Sonoma crew cab 4x4. Tb mod, Air box mod, pre cat delete,B&M shift improver, Trans cooler, Big three ,AD-244 alt,Red top Optima, e-fan, HD Radaitor,265/70-16' on 16x8 TA wheels,, t-bar tweek, 1.5 inch shackles and 2 inch body lift,Skids fender trim, 1.5 inch wheel spacers in front and 2.5 in back, Quad mod and Frog lights.
Transfercase vacuum switch change DO IT!!!
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Dang, Glad you are OK. Don't you wish everyone gave you a little following distance on the road? 2 seconds is a lot less wasted time and money than getting slammed into like that. Unfortunately I see more Jeeps turned turtle than all other vehicles on the road. They just seem to like sliding down the road on the roofs.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

glad your alright. Any idea why that jeep rolled?

I have too have seen a rolled jeep on the interstate too once... not sure how the woman did it,,, but she was standing beside it so looks like she walked away just fine.

Yeah following distance is a biggie.. your talkinf like your gonna have to pay out of pocket... is that celica's insurance not gonna cover it?
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

fallvitals wrote:..................Any idea why that jeep rolled?
SWB and lift. They get sideways in an instant. That's why there is a major trend to keep a low center of gravity and go with the longer wheel base Unlimited model with minimal lift. Highline fenders and 2.5" of lift and you can run 37" tires.

[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
kermit
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kermit »

im not paying for any of it! heck no! but while its in the shop I might add some things to the list to be done. ...for now im crusin in the '96 buick regal custom!

there was a work truck that had a blown left front tire in the left lane. the jeep either swerved to miss it, or was cut off by someone else... im not sure
bwenny247
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: rear ended after watching a jeep flip

Post by bwenny247 »

kermit wrote:
that's why I'll always drive a truck, I got rear-ended by a focus last fall. I needed a new bumper, she needed a new car. Glad you and everyone else is ok.
[size=75]*SOLD* 5" BDS, 2" PA, 33" MT's, HPPIII , Airaid TB spacer, K&N FIPK, March pulleys, 2.5" straight pipe, Trucktec tonneau, Herculinered body line down, 3/16" custom skid plates[/size]
kermit
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kermit »

got the truck back about a week ago. everything from the behind the cab is new!

...bed, bumper, hitch, a flare and fresh paint!

$ 5,000 on someone else's bill

transmission and front suspension were rebuilt last thanksgiving... new tires a month ago... I almost have a new truck!
border man
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by border man »

Where did they get a flare? Custom?
[size=75]I didn't do it, it was already like that when I got it.[/size]
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

border man wrote:Where did they get a flare? Custom?
Im curious on that as welll?

Also, how did your rear bumper hold up/protect with it being a body lift and using relocation brackets? I am still leary on how well the bumpers will protect in an accident, but im still gonna do it. Looks like yours held up pretty well, thought like you said the hitch took the brunt of it.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

fallvitals wrote:...I am still leary on how well the bumpers will protect in an accident...
"Bumpers" are not what they once were. They are not designed to offer a barrier to the forces applied. Bumpers used to be rigid to resist damage. This transfers the energy elsewhere. Today they are now crush zones. Designed to crush and absorb energy. Don't expect your "bumper" to "hold up", it was not designed to.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
kermit
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kermit »

the flare was damaged prior to the accident (don't tell my insurance company haha) and was already on order from another member who just happened to be selling the one i needed.

the collision buckled the frame where the hitch/bumper mounts. the hitch/bumper were angled 30 to 40 degrees down