Went "offroading" first time today in my Crew Cab

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Went "offroading" first time today in my Crew Cab

Post by fallvitals »

Took my Crew Cab for my first time (my driving) offroading. Ill use the term "offroading" very loosely here though. It hasnt rained in probably 5 days, and has been in the 90s. So, Very dry, no mud, few water holes. Dad took his new Silverado Z71 out the same road a week earler. Hit his running board in one spot, but his white truck was caked in mud when he was done. I think I had more mud on my truck when I left the house then when I got back! (from city driving too, lol) :lol:

I just got my skid plates on a few days ago. As I mentioned the road was just and old logging road, and for gas wells currently. It was in a lot beter shape then I expected. Some semi steep climbs, few exposed rock areas which made it interesting. Lots of little "hills" in the road. I hit on a few of those hills going over em. I think 3 times total. 2 going in, 1 coming out. I think the first time i set it down in the frame right below me. The other two was the carbon fiber transfer skid. (got home and there was two big scrapes on the bottom of the skid where it hangs the lowest and i could pull pieces of carbon fiber off.. sure thats not good.) They all seemed to naturally be at the break over point.

Only used my 4wd twice, didn't need it either time. First a truck was coming off the mountain, gas well guy, talked to him, I pulled into a ditch, it was a little wet, and started to spin a little, so just locked it in to stop spinning. Second time, turning around in a patch of grass on a slight incline. tires started to spin a ltitle, just went ahead and locked it in.

But we, dad and I, went up looking for molly moochers (morel mushrooms). Didnt have great luck, but we suspected we wouldn't. Too dry for too long. We found a few, that were dried out. but we kept looking. I found a few, dad found more then I.

But we found some great spots. We will probably go back sat. good ammount of rain in the forecast.

Heres a few shots of the truck. After this trip, i think I am gona consider a body lift much harder now.. but next time we go up there, this truck will be caked in mud, im sure it will be a much funner trip!

(forgive the quality, they are actually very nice pcitures, they just look crappy for the 100K rule)
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Time to go upward.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Yeah, and I should do it before I need new tires. i think ill need to replace the ones on it (goodyear wrangler silent armors) in 1-2 years. So, better get that body lift on before that..

Man, I wish those Skidz flares were still available. Would make it a bit easier.
DLP
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by DLP »

Still looking for my first shroom of the year. It has been 70/80 and raining for the last week here. Shouldn't be long before the little buggers start poping up!
[size=75][b][color=blue]2003 Blue Crewcab[/b][/color][/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I need to know about the mushrooms! Such a tease!
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
YellowCrewCabber
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by YellowCrewCabber »

I'm originally from Illinois. Moved to Tennessee about 15 yrs ago. Back home we would "hunt" for mushrooms every spring. When I first moved here I would ask about hunting areas for mushrooms and they thought I was nuts."They're piosonous!! You'll get sick and die if ya eat them." They would tell me. Well yeah if you eat the wrong ones. To this day I still don't know if there are mushrooms here in TN.
Jeff
[size=75]04 ZR5 CC

Xbox Live Gamer Tag-Gefke6367[/size]
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Alrighty, what is pictured above is a Molly Moocher (atleast if your from WV). Better known as a Morel Mushroom. They are amazing, a delicacy. I have read they sell for $50 a pound. And in some cases close to $100 a pound.

Heres a good site about em, http://thegreatmorel.com/ . They are very easy to recognize. I think that website shows some false morels too. But if you think its a false, just cut it open, a morel is hollow. Would be very hard to mistake a morel.

Today was actually my first trip hunting shrooms with dad. He went to this place last week and found probably 4 pounds worth. A TON of em. With the dry weather, and hot temperatures, there werent many up, and most that were, were all dried up. I did manage to find 4 keepers though. They were smaller ones, they are a bit harder to spot then the tall ones. Kinda like looking for a washer in a sea of nuts, lol.

Jeff, oh yeah there are Morels in TN. I was sure there was, but found this bulliton board for TN mushrooms hunters:
http://www.morels.com/tennessee/guestbook.html

But, I noticed on the way off the mountain I had a rattle under my truck, sounded like around the drivers side tire area. Sounded like, if you had to washers in your hand and rattled em for a second. And every bump in the road on the way to work tonight i heard it.

Got home and started to hit the tire with the palm of my hand and i could hear the rattle somewhere under the truck, to dark, and late to get udner there and search for it, sound like its coming from the oil pan area. Thought it could be the aluminum skid plate o nthe front because of its metal on metal contact but it seems fine.

But yes, im definantly doing the body lift, im figure in a couple months. but it will be a while before I get some new 31s for it. So itll look a little odd, lol.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I love the Shrooms. They are often called dry land fish here in KY. They were always found this time of year (turkey season) near pine trees.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

My trip from yesterday keeps delivering. Went out to cut some grass, my front passnager tire was down to 12psi.

Took it to my uncle's tire shop (man thats conveniant, never charges me for any thing unless i buy tires, then i get a good discount on those, never a balanced/mounting fee). Hole in the tread, they thought it could be patched, but turns out it was worst then thought. It COULD be patched, but they were leary as to how well it would hold. im running goodyear silent armors. But for now they patched it, rotated it to the back, my uncle said he could have a new wrangler silent armor by thurdsday. He rarely has used tires in i can use, atleast in this short ammount of time.

So, im gonna put a body lift on this summer, new 31s sometime after, and still buying a new 29" tire. how gay. But it was my fault. I am sure how it happened... I was coming off the mountain yesterday, there was a rock in the road, I saw it. I dont know if i thought i moved enough to miss, it, started rubber necking, or whatever, but hit that rock hard. :oops: Lesson learned...
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jongo88 »

Man that sucks... I think I would just go with it after all you have a spare.
2002 GMC Sonoma crew cab 4x4. Tb mod, Air box mod, pre cat delete,B&M shift improver, Trans cooler, Big three ,AD-244 alt,Red top Optima, e-fan, HD Radaitor,265/70-16' on 16x8 TA wheels,, t-bar tweek, 1.5 inch shackles and 2 inch body lift,Skids fender trim, 1.5 inch wheel spacers in front and 2.5 in back, Quad mod and Frog lights.
Transfercase vacuum switch change DO IT!!!
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Eh, if its a nail, screw, something like that, im not worried about a patch blowing. This was a pretty big one. I dont think I want to risk that.. $135 for a new tire isnt a big price for safety..

My spare is the stock uni-royal tire. Pretty dry rotted. I would rather run on the one with a patch then that one. )what they first suggested I do, and use the busted on as the spare).

Oh well. I can get rid of the junky uni-royal one, and use this busted on as the spare. After I do the lift, and get some 31's for it (probably not till like 5 months after the lift.. money is tight), i can sell the tires, im sure i wont get much, but still, its some money.

EDIT - thought it over. and corection, he can get me a used tire in the size i need, just takes a little time, it would be VERY HARD to get the wrangler silent armor like I have.

But he can get, as soon as someone comes in with the same size, a used tire for me. Who knows what brand, or anything, but im just gonna do that. Since ill be putting 31s on it id say before the years i over. Better then $135 for a tire ill barely use i reckon.
DLP
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by DLP »

Turkey season and Morels do go together. That is what I was doing in the morning before shrooming.
[size=75][b][color=blue]2003 Blue Crewcab[/b][/color][/size]
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Any luck DLP?

I dont think im going turkey hunting this year...