SWB Heep Rubicon Project

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

SWB Heep Rubicon Project

Post by F9K9 »

I guess that I can post here about another heep project if, the boss can post his heep trailer build here. :) Some will remember when I finally got the CC on 33s and wheeled with a local club.

I had all kinds of members spotting me around the easy bypasses to some easy obstacles.

That Cherokee (XJ) behind me in the pic became available shortly after the ride and it was had for 2K. That was Project XJ! You cannot buy a decent ATV around here for 2K, let alone, drive it to work. I did have to wrench my butt off on it and Brule along with some good XJ forums got me through stuff like TC rebuilds and mastering a sawzall. :wink:

With a master spotter, I could climb 3 ft ledges with front and rear differentials unlocked.

Then. my wife Sue blundered into mistake number two. #1 was shortly after we married in '01 and she advised me that I needed a hobby. The CC was born! :wink:

She realized that I needed a heep to bash and the XJ was born.

Then she advised that I wouldn't be content until I got a real heep. I started looking for storm clouds and lightning bolts but, took my time searching for a heep.
Found a stolen/recovered Rubicon out of TX with a good title.

I started researching and would like to share it's progress.

I started with a 1" BL. It is required for allot of the cooler after market skids and "TT"s (tummy tucks) that raise the transfer case up to 2.5". I wheeled it stock to see what I needed. This is the same obstacle that you see the XJ on in the above photo. I am just solidly high centered here. :lol:

I knew I needed diff armor so so used ones repainted off of Craigslist were acquired.

You start messing with the body lifts on a heep and it starts to snow ball on you. You need a motor mount lift to keep the fan out of the shroud and to help with pinion angles later. Here is a M.O.R.E. 1" MML and now you need to get used to the vibes the solid urethane creates.

Now you want ground clearance and armor.

Here is a Nth Degree TT/skid that netted 2.5 inches but, I had to relocate the rubicon air pumps for the lockers.

Safety comes to mind and you want to sacrifice one mod to be safe. I chose a Rockhard spot cage, some bottom end seats and harnesses.

I have done a boat load of other mods but, this is my pride and joy. I can't show you any more pics of it because the patent is pending and I am pledged not to disclose the details. That is a real cold air intake. I gained 2-3 mpg with it and I can't keep my foot out of it.

I am keeping my mods documented but, my future hood vents may remove some of them. :lol:

One more example of being patient and searching ebay and craigs list. This Warn 8274-50 lists for over $1800 new, It had 2 pulls on it and I scored it for under $900. !50' of synthetic cable and cover included.

Patience will pay off. That is the Porsche of winches but, now I am shopping for a better alternator. Ain't mods great?

[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
rlrnr53
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by rlrnr53 »

It looks like you are having a lot of fun and getting loads of skinned knuckles. Has the local duck population suffered because of the mods?
[size=75]Mitch
2001 Polo Green Metallic, no mods,(can't afford any)[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

rlrnr53 wrote:Has the local duck population suffered because of the mods?
Most definitely! :lol: The instructions for the TT was 13 pages. I fought for a few days with it and things were not going well. I finally called the guy that I purchase my new stuff from at Northfield.com. He installs the stuff for a living and he got confused. He called AEV/Nth up and I got a call from their engineer later. Seems that they made a few improvements and neglected to make changes to the instructions. One whole week end wasted. :bonk:

I found a photo of the stock transfer case skid. It slopes down on the forward and rear edges. It righteously has earned the term "shovel". The red line indicates where the locker's 2 pumps are located.

$800 (oil oan and AT skid included) later. Note the high quality powder coating after I first drove it to the car wash to get rid of my liberal application of anti seize every where.

One day Chicken Little was walking in the woods when — KERPLUNK — an acorn fell on her head

"Oh my goodness!" said Chicken Little. "The sky is falling! I must go and tell the king."
Substitute duck for acorn! :lol:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
jedthrocornpone
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by jedthrocornpone »

I've never been a fan of the "tin foil" bumpers but they are free (or at least they came with it)

I think jeeps look mean if you trim the front bumper back to show more tire.

the Kilby style gas tank skid is a good mod.

The Gen righy tanks and skids are top-notch (only way to go for a WB streatch)

Did the BL/Motor Mount/ Tummy tuck on a buddies heep a month or two ago. BL less than an hour, TT less than an hour, Motor Mount took about 5 frustraiting hours filled with 4 letter words and busted knuckles, what a PITA! thats the job I busted myself in the face with a crowbar! felt that for about 10 days.

oh and a couple guys I know swear by the Anti-rock bars from currie, I think you have seen troy's white jeep its SICK!

edited cause I cant spell or type YIKES!
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

jedthrocornpone wrote:.............Did the BL/Motor Mount/ Tummy tuck on a buddies heep a month or two ago. BL less than an hour, TT less than an hour............
The BL time sounds impressive if, no problems arose. The TT, I must question because I had a wreck of an install. Mainly due to it being my first one and the 13 pages of incorrect directions from AEV. I am sure that you know that they bought out Nth Degree and Nth's former owner, now an AEV engineer got me lined out in under 5 minutes. Otherwise I wasted over a week on my install. Most of the incorrect directions concerned the locker pumps.

Your man has some outstanding thoughts and I hope that he remembers me and the plugs that I made for him on different heep forums. He is one to keep an eye on! Besides, he slides in shots of his dog now and then. :lol:
jedthrocornpone
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by jedthrocornpone »

I was shocked on the BL the hardest thing were getting the poly snubber thingys under the grille/core support.

The TT was a home made copy of the Rubicon express belly pan and it was easy unbolt trans mount 4 bolts, place the jack, lift slightly, unbolt those 6 skid plate bolts (or was it 8? :? ), chuck old skid, drag new one in, lift the big B@#*#rd and replace the bolts. wipe dirt and grime from tools enjoy frosty beverage.

As for troy he's amazing. He gets me to step back and see if there is a second way of looking at things. That and I beat myself up about not going to college and getting a degree. Oh well, the world needs truck drivers too I guess :wink:
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

jedthrocornpone wrote:I was shocked on the BL the hardest thing were getting the poly snubber thingys under the grille/core support.........
Ahhhhhh, that is where my S-10 wrenching came in handy. Those snubbers that baffle allot of heepers was super easy because I went with a Performance Accessory 1" BL. Rarely mentioned in heep forums but, they are the sh*t for us S-10ers. No fishing line, no exotic lubricant, just bolt straight in once the headlights are removed. :lol:

I have tried to explain the simplicity of the PA lift several times in different heep forums but if, it isn't a JKS 1.25" BL then it is nonsense. :lol:

BTW, do not beat yourself up! We need you!
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I hope that I am not boring the CC gang with this thread but, I had a B-day several weeks ago. Wife never knows what to get me and asks me for a list of toys that I want. Well, I usually pick out something and I usually pay for it. :lol: It's still nice because it's a mod without hearing all of the mouth directed at me.

Ordered the gift tonight. :wink:

A Warn wireless remote.

I have been trying to finish up the Rubi and have been shopping for a gas tank skid. I was settled in on a Rokmen until an aluminum one has finally come out.

Ordered it last night. Weighs 30 lbs. less than steel and I have stirred the pot in Jeepdom by suggesting polishing it. I even posted a S-10 photo of a polished skid there.

That GM brush guard looks pretty wimpy there in the photo. The OEM tires are also pretty embarrassing. :roll: I am glad I rid myself of both shortly afterwards.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Aluminum fuel skid installed yesterday.

Before

After

I gained 1.75" in mounting hgt, an increased departure angle, increased skid thickness, a slight loss of wgt and additional room between the rear diff and the tank.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

You are going to anger the "Jeep Bling Police" ... here after referred to as the JBP ;)

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:...........Jeep Bling Police" ... here after referred to as the JBP ;)
It's still fun though. :wink: Gosh, I can hardly be considered a "Mall Crawler" but, I have stepped on some toes there, :lol:

I saw aluminum and heard "polish it and then try to trash it". I guess we will find out what it is capable of. Their warranty is a "no holds barred" replacement one.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

It's official! Received a letter from the JBP today and was thanked for my support. Got a couple more stickers to add to my hood collection and a business card from the owner to give me a free pass of my choosing. Suddenly aluminum is in for putting heeps on diets. That steel armor really adds to weight. Many are dumping well known and respected armor for something we were always aware of. Aluminum! :lol:

F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Re: SWB Heep Rubicon Project

Post by F9K9 »

Update.............

Because rain has put a halt to my grass mowing and I try to keep checking here daily.

We had a good trail ride yesterday which made me get a few "warm fuzzys" for all my work and money spent on the heep.
Since the last update I spent 4 months doing a 200 mile commute (2 way) in some nasty (for KY) winter weather. I put the vast majority of those miles on the heep to keep my beloved CC somewhat low mileage (43k now).

Anywho.........

I added some aluminum corner guards from a new company that had very deep roots......SAVVY.

Then I snagged an early set of their rear LED tail lights and a prototype of their stainless steel tub rails. Aluminum won't slide on rocks so steel was the only way to go. I have tagged them a couple of times on rocks and they do the trick. :thumb: Pay no attention to it being on jack stands and the front DS leaned up on the tire. Another water fowl story there. :lol:

I think that I next installed "in cab" winch controls. The remote had to much lag and the Warn 8274 is way to fast. I got the switches and kit from another new company, Skinny Pedal! BTW, my heep is the one pictured in the snow with his rock lights and HID headlight conversion on that page. The furthest left 2 switches are for the winch controls. The one with the green light turns it on. The one to the right of it, is what controls the winch. Push at the top and it reels in. Push it at the bottom and it spools out. The other switches to the right are for later mods. I cannot speak enough about Josh, the owner of Skinny Pedal. If, he isn't hammering his junk on some hard core trail on a weekend, he will answer his cell phone and help you out!

Next was possibly the installation of 5.13 gears in preparation for moving up to 35" meats. During the gear install we found the stock air locker had a broken pin. As usual, the pin was not available separately and an oem locker was $400. I made up my mind, long ago, to not replace something that broke with the same unit if, an upgrade was available. I went with an ARB front locker which required another compressor. OEM lockers work with 5 PSI and ARB requires around 95 PSI. The second from the right switch in the above photo controls the front locker.

The next are just muddled in my head because of what was going on in my life. I swapped my 33s to get help with the install of gears and the ARB locker. I got rock lights and a HID headlight conversion from Josh at Skinny Pedal. I got the 35s from a club member for cheap because he needed them gone after he went to 37s.

Sometime, I picked up OBA or On Board Air. I went the CO2 route because I found a deal and refills are not bad. $21 per refill which, will air up 40 33" tires from 10 PSI to 30 PSI. I picked up a 1/2" impact gun from wallyworld for $25 to toss in with my trail tools.

Poor photo but, it is the black tank on the left.

Lastly, I have installed a Yellow (or Yellr) box. It, it a nice alternative to HPP programers to adjust for different gearing or tire sizes. Long used in bikes and works super in any rig with electronics and speedometers.

Yellow Box and the manufacturer's site.

End result?

No vids or photos do an obstacle justice. I wish someone took a vid from my view at the bottom.

Plumbers Crack
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Beautiful! Looking very capable. Good to see things are going well for you. I like the looks of that right side seat cover too. ;)

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
border man
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by border man »

Bad ass man! You need a cool poser shot of your heep's tire crawling over another tire. Is the big D over? Hope you didn't get hosed too bad.. Keep on heepin'......
[size=75]I didn't do it, it was already like that when I got it.[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:................I like the looks of that right side seat cover too. ;)
We'll see on that seat cover. Fiery red heads have always been my down fall. :lol: :lol: She hasn't bailed on me yet when looking at a bad obstacle. Hangs in there and has let me spot her over several. :thumb:
border man wrote:............Is the big D over? Hope you didn't get hosed too bad.. Keep on heepin'......
Naw, it keeps draggin' on but, I am under my own roof now and driving 8 miles round trip to work. I still own both rigs. Only time will tell, Bro!

Brain fart..........
I bent my tie rod up badly on a rather recent benefit Volunteer F.D. ride. In going with my philosophy of not replacing broken junk with the same stuff, I wanted to upgrade. I am on a pretty strict budget and $429 was not in it. I scored a Currie HD System replacement at a "scratch and dent" sale on Ebay for $200. I'm just waiting on a couple grease boots to replace the torn ones on it.

On a side note, I would like to thank Brule once again. What little mechanical knowledge that I once had, laid dormant for 30 plus years. He encouraged, coached and thumped my noggin' many times and it paid off! There is not much that I am afraid to tackle now! Well, I still am not to keen on 1000' drop offs without a tree or a rock to catch my rapidly descending rig! :mrgreen:
rlrnr53
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by rlrnr53 »

Reed, the heep is looking better every day. Hope the Mallard population hasn't suffered for all of your wrenching. They may be circling around my location, because I still haven't had time to get the engine in my daughter';s van. Hopefully it won't be long in coming.
[size=75]Mitch
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

rlrnr53 wrote:..........They may be circling around my location, because I still haven't had time to get the engine in my daughter';s van. Hopefully it won't be long in coming.
I thought I would just check out your location to see if, I could help. If, you are somewhat close to Beckley then I can't help much. Sorry!
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

F9K9 wrote:... What little mechanical knowledge that I once had, laid dormant for 30 plus years. He encouraged, coached and thumped my noggin' many times and it paid off! There is not much that I am afraid to tackle now!
I hope you are around to thump me right back from time to time. There are lots of forks in the road. Sometimes you get lucky and the push is in the right direction.

There is NOTHING that you can not accomplish. It is all about knowing how to "find out".

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:There is NOTHING that you can not accomplish. It is all about knowing how to "find out".
Now that is liable to end up in someone's sig! :mrgreen:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Just read a thread on worst mods. Your Currie rods were ... in the wish I had bought them first part of that post :)
More than one of your recent Heep mods made the "what they should have done" part of that thread. :thumb:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:.............More than one of your recent Heep mods made the "what they should have done" part of that thread. :thumb:
That is another reason that.....
HenryJ wrote:........There is NOTHING that you can not accomplish. It is all about knowing how to "find out".
should go into a sig line. You taught me that one and it has paid off! Oh, I have made my mistakes and I have paid the piper!

Don't really know how to word it here but, I strongly recommend getting with local clubs, get involved, meet the members and go out and see what really works and what doesn't. Life is much more than just "web wheeling"! :thumb:
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Maybe, I should post this under electrical mods but, I'll take it on here because I think it is one of my best mods.

For those that know me, knew that I couldn't solder. It flat escaped me and please do not tell me that crap about heating the wire and never touch the solder to the soldering iron! I even attended and passed a 2 wk course on law enforcement technical investigative equipment, in which, we had to build a silly radio shack volt/ohm meter. I couldn't solder in the real world.

I had to do a clean install on that Yellow box and I wanted to do it at the PCM and not at the output at the transfer case, with the chance of solder hitting me.

Google and search cured my "solder challenged" ways. Why doesn't anyone mention "tinning"? Is it something that you knowledgeable guys take for granted? Once I knew about that part of the process, I amazed myself.

Anyway, now I can solder :rah:
rlrnr53
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by rlrnr53 »

I guess soldering is something I take for granted. Soldering electrical connections is something that came naturally to me, but sweating copper pipe eluded me until an uncle came over about 35 years ago and gave me a couple of quick lessions. Thanks for the offer Reed, but this adventure looks like it will be spread over the next couple of weeks.
[size=75]Mitch
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Google and search cured my "solder challenged" ways. Why doesn't anyone mention "tinning"? Is it something that you knowledgeable guys take for granted? Once I knew about that part of the process, I amazed myself.
Ah yes, that sure would make a difference :lol: I would never have thought of that as your sticking point in your "solder challenge" I don't think I was ever formally taught to tin the wires but much of the wiring I did had the ends pre-tinned and I learned it was easier that way. Glad you have mastered another skill. :rock:
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

It hurts me to look at this thread knowing I'm sinking all this cash into a crew cab when I really wish I had a heep to put it into instead! Well atleast a second vehicle ;)

I love that jeep, the color everything! Except the ground lights a little too high school for me, lol.

My uncle has a wrangler, he put bfg Ats on it, but the most offoad that thing will ever see is when he misses the driveway. Heck he may have sold I by now... He likes to keep cars for a couple years then get rid of em.... Maybe that's my project heep in The future....

But ID rather find one allready lifted. Save a ton of cash.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

fallvitals wrote:..............I love that jeep, the color everything! Except the ground lights a little too high school for me, lol..........
Those "ground lights" are there for a different reason than what you see with the HS kids on the street or in shows. Those benefit your "spotter" or guide, that is helping you cross an obstacle after dark. Headlights will blind him/her. They need to see your wheels and to be able to talk you through a situation. Often, it is a matter or 2" right or 2" left to get through something. I have never turned them on except after dark, off road and when a spotter was assisting me.
fallvitals wrote:...........But ID rather find one allready lifted. Save a ton of cash.............
Might save a ton of cash for one lifted correctly. Researching will pay off in this case. That lifted XJ, cost me a bundle to get it straightened out. I am being conservative here. I paid 2K for it. I put well over 2K into it and wrenched several hundred hrs on it. I sold it for 2K!

I have made a ton of mistakes and if, I had a "do over", I would of held out for a long wheel base Rubicon (Unlimited).

Start researching now, take your time and then maybe, start looking for something stock to begin a build on. 99.9% of built stuff out there is built wrong or on the cheap!

Don't get me wrong here. Recently, there was a much better built rig than mine for sale in VA. He had to have 40K worth of mods in it (over the 30K, that he pd for it) and he just wanted a rig over 25 yrs old to get through his annual inspections. I believe his last price was 15K. He gave up selling it so, it became a trailer queen.
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Well those ground lights seem to serve a purpose then. I thought you was just trying to impress the milfs with your mall crawler. :lol: :lol: j/k j/k

Thats good info. It would probably be smarter to see how much offroad time I get in with my crew before planning ways to waste my money on another vehicle :lol:
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

fallvitals wrote:........Thats good info. It would probably be smarter to see how much offroad time I get in with my crew before planning ways to waste my money on another vehicle :lol:
Join a local off road club and take the CC out with them on the trail. If, they are a mud loving bunch, I'd stay away from them unless, you just love to clean and change drive line fluids. :lol: