Polishing Aluminum Skids (non S-10 related)?

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Polishing Aluminum Skids (non S-10 related)?

Post by F9K9 »

I will try to make this as brief as possible. I am looking for ideas from our newer members and would like to ask Brule and Jim to hold back for a day or two. I know that I could PM either one and get great ideas but, I was taught long ago to make this type of post public so, we all can benefit.

Brule turned me on to polishing aluminum shields/skids almost five years ago. Not hard work but, just added a tad of bling to my ride. I have bashed my front one (the only I mess with) many times and it still looks good after a little elbow grease.

Well, I dunno how I get into this sort of thing but, I was one of the many chosen to beta test the first aluminum fuel tank skid on a heep.

Anyway, one of the co designers let it slip that he despises bling. He is well respected on several forums and his partner is bling oriented. Well the gauntlet was thrown down and it is a running joke in about four heep forums.

I received the prototype shield today and I suspect that I got a tested one in an effort to thwart a decent polishing job. :lol: :lol:

I just spent a few minutes with a Mother's polishing ball, some off brand polish and Mother's Mag and Aluminum Polish. I would like something to remove most of the scars and is minimal in labor intensity. I have air and most tools that takes advantage of air.

Tuners have a lot of tricks so, let me hear from you?
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

I dont have any tips or tricks. As for removing those scars, maybe some very fine sand paper? I cant recall the gritts off hand, but maybe start at 300 grit and work your way up to about 1200.

I have some sanding pads to go up to 3000 grit I think.

I think if you got some sanding pads wit the super fine grit, 1000+ and go over that whole thing, with a buffer would probably be easiest, till you work up to about 3000 grit then hit it with mothers and a buffer. then maybe some mag polish and buffer?

Im not sure, I have never tried to really "bling" any thing. but I dont think those grits I mentioned would leave lines and marks when the process is done?

Complete rookie here, I could be way off base.
Last edited by fallvitals on Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
PGH04ZR5
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by PGH04ZR5 »

When I re-did my wheels on my 69 cougar i started witha 200 grit flapper wheel and then worked up thru 600 and 1000 grit single sheetz to fine out the scratches. My final step then was with a cloth wheel and green buffing compound till i got the shine i wanted.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Thanks, guys! If, I have to stall my install, :?: I will look some more at the options. I hit it another hour or so with the ball and Mother's Mag Polish but, darkness and the dew falling killed any pics.

Another drab home owners crisis popped up but, I will try to take some pis tomorrow. The boss understands that she may have to keep an eye on the household problem and empty a few buckets of water until I can get this install done. We mutually agree to call "dibs" on weekend plans. :lol: :lol:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]