Gun and ammo stuff

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

HenryJ wrote:What do you pack in your "Scram sack" or "Bug out Bag"?
You know.... for a long while I have wanted,,,, no.... needed to create my own BOB. Maybe I am more paranoid then the rest, or spent too much time over at the ar15.com forums (which their wet dreams are zombie attacks, ironicly, I have zombie related nightmares atleast once a week, lmao)

But with my bug out bag, there would be atleast 10 magazines, 30 and 20 rounders loaded up with 5.56 for this beauty.

*over 100K*
http://photos.imageevent.com/rc_racer_0 ... C03663.jpg

My rock river, with some upgrades. Only reason it has flip sights, and not fixed sights is becuase I planned on getting a Aimpoint M3 with Larue mount before this darn place gave me bad ideas :lol:

Oh and lets not forget my XD, 45acp. Its always in the woods with me.

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The conditions of the expedition definitely influence the type of gear you carry. I usual opt for more water than ammo for most of my bags. I am more likely to die from thirst than having my brains eaten by zombies ;)

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

HenryJ wrote:The conditions of the expedition definitely influence the type of gear you carry. I usual opt for more water than ammo for most of my bags. I am more likely to die from thirst than having my brains eaten by zombies ;)
lol, zombies are just funny to talk about. But agreed on water. if any "bug out" scenerio ever took place, you would really only need one magazine in all seriousness, and you pray you wouldnt need to use it. But better to have it and not need it they say.

But this is a great thread with some GREAT info. That little mini torch, they sell em at lowes too in the plumbing section.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Given a choice to take a gun I would probably choose my SS Ruger 22/22mag single six or 22 Marlin.
No rust to worry about. Easily kill small game in a survival situation. Light weight to carry with lots of ammunition. Simple to clean and maintain.
I would have good knives first though. They are just more versatile and I can build traps for game.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Those would be good choices of firearms. I honestly gotta say when it comes to knives, I never have researched it. I have always had a cheaper pocket knife, and my Buck 110 for the heavy duty stuff, and skinning/gutting of deer down to fish.

But given a choice of firearm, I think I would stick with my Rock River Arms AR15. I have, about 400 rounds through it, not a single malfunction. Its a fairly self cleaning weapon, proven. Aboutt he worst that can go wrong is the bolt, which if you are prepared you can have an extra bolt stored someplace on the gun, like in the grip.

With 5.56/.223 you would definantly have some power to your round, would be a little over kill for squirells and such, but smaller animals, about the size of a ground hog, up to a deer (shot placement!) would be fair game. and depending on your skill, 100 yards easily (im at about 75 yards, open sights right now) with open sights. Probably better then that with a red dot sight. Plus optional magnifier scope.

I only have about 200 rounds stored up... like I mentioned if it wasnt for the ideas from this site, id have that aimpoint on my rifle, and atleast 1K in ammo.

But I am gonna read through this whole thread tommorow, i have only skimmed over it thus far.
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

If I had to bug out with only 2 weapons it would be with my Mac90 and Ruger MarkII no doubt in my mind.
I am glad I stocked up on ammo before Y2K since the price has almost doubled since then and some types are nearly impossible to find right now. I need to load 1000 rounds for my .38 service revolver and am having difficulty finding 110gr bullets, they are just out of stock everywhere at this time.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Oh yeah. Walmart here had a good supply of federbal .22 bulk pack and it slowly dwendeld. I bought a bough every time I went out, So i got about 3 boxes now. as for .45acp.....

I ordered 2 boxes, 50 rounds each, of Federal HST .45acp +P from steichers.com. That was 4 months ago, still waiting :shock: This is crazy.

04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Well I must admit I am getting a little low on some stuff, I think I am down to 2500 22lr or so and only 500 rounds for the .45 As for bigger stuff I already plan to tell the Fire Dept. to just water down the other house and let my place burn if it goes up, I would rather they not be in there.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

lol, I wish I had your problem! I re-counted, I have 400, or just a hair more rounds in 5.56/.223 200 rounds is my SHTF, Zombies attack 5.56, 160 rounds is .223 in 62 grain, and I think 60 rounds of wolf .223 Which my RRA ar15 has had no trouble eating up wolf ammo. :) :)

I think I have maybe 35 rounds of 45acp FMJ left o_0. Couple boxes of various hunting rifle rounds, countless small shot shotgun shells. and about 1500 rounds of .22

Sounds like you need a nice fireproof safe for that. But once it gets hot enough that rounds would still start to cook off :shock:
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Yea it comes from being a unit shopper if x cost y and 2x is 1/3 less might as well buy 2x. I think I have 3 or 4 thousand rounds of 7.62x39.
Sounds like a lot till you figure at 30 rounds to a mag 600 round a minute theoretical cyclic rate it's only 5 minutes of sustained fire. I only keep 1000 in mags so I am out in 2 minutes tops (not counting mag changes and resting the trigger finer that is) Hardly enough to keep the zombie hoard off your back unless MILLA is there to back you up.
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Damn zombies :evil:

Well for sustainable fire, my USGI manual for my AR, says a sustainable rate is like 15 rounds per minute, or they will start to cook off, over heat the barrel, etc. As for the zombies, take the high ground, they move slow, one shot one kill, lmao. :evil:
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Depends on whether they are Shambles, Runner or Rage Zombies. Zombie Types. And I hope you mean 1500 RPM or that gun needs to go back in the closet.
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

04crewvt wrote:Depends on whether they are Shambles, Runner or Rage Zombies. Zombie Types. And I hope you mean 1500 RPM or that gun needs to go back in the closet.
:shock: Greatest website ever.