US military services

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

paintballrocker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

US military services

Post by paintballrocker »

Hey i just got back from the Airforce recruter here in town. Out of the 3 services ive talked to (Navy, Army, Airforce), the Airforce seems like they have more to offer such as pay, enlistment jobs, college aid, etc. Either one i choose i want to join in for seciurity, since i want to move into law enforcement afterwards. I was just wondering if any members here have experience in either the Navy, Army, or Airforce.
thanks

BTW i dont want this to turn into an argument of which service is better, just the facts plz :D
[size=75]2002 CC, westin push bar with 2 lights, bed cover, custom made cat-back exhaust.......soon a steering stabilizer mod, lift, sounds system[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

No experience in the branches you listed. Which ever branch you choose, get a written guarantee for a military police slot. It will help with gaining law enforcement jobs later. College is still going to be required for the better civilian jobs.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
paintballrocker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

yeah i feigured that id need some college. but all 3 of those services offer college tuition help. plus with the airforce you earn your associet's degree while training for your enlistment job. So as it sounds, im leaning towards the Airforce.

But ill wait and see if anyone here has an opion, haha
[size=75]2002 CC, westin push bar with 2 lights, bed cover, custom made cat-back exhaust.......soon a steering stabilizer mod, lift, sounds system[/size]
border man
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by border man »

Look at it this way, all of the services pay the same E-1 through E-whatever, so that much should not factor into your decision. Nowadays, just about any enlistment is going to land you in a COMBAT ZONE! (that's one of the great things about our military men and women today, they continue to VOLUNTEER even during war time). Moving up the ranks(more money/more responsibility) is much faster in the Army since it is a much larger component. Quality of life while abroad in a combat zone cannot be beat in the Air Farce!! Wanna ride a boat for six months straight with a bunch of dudes, go NAVY! and even though us Army guys poke fun at the Devil Dogs, you can't beat the comaradarie and Esprit de Corps in them damn MARINES! Semper Fi.
[size=75]I didn't do it, it was already like that when I got it.[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

border man wrote:......................................and even though us Army guys poke fun at the Devil Dogs, you can't beat the comaradarie and Esprit de Corps in them damn MARINES! Semper Fi.

I never dreamed in my wildest fantasy that I would ever hear that come from a solid US Army vet. Thanks Border_Man!
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
paintballrocker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

well i finally decided what im going to do now since i just turned 17, and can offical enlist.

I'm joining the Airforce :D
border man
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by border man »

I enlisted at the ripe age of 17, granted I needed my mother's permission to do so. I turned 18 after I had reported to my actual unit.
paintballrocker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

yeah thats what i have to do, my mom and dad have to sign some papers.
NO CLUE
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by NO CLUE »

you'll love it. Im on another deployment myself, not iraq this time im sorry to say. Im stuck on the boat with the navy for another 5 months. good luck with whatever you decide to do.
paintballrocker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Thanks! and im know ill like it, as of now ill be a K9 officer. Thats what i sign up as
Thoughtvoid

Post by Thoughtvoid »

Did the recruiter tell you about the current deployment schedule for SF members? Its find if you don't mind being in the sandbox, but just be aware ...
paintballrocker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

well as of now i have to take the asvab test, then go to MEPS to get my physical and stuff.
It looks like ill be heading to basic this time next year.
border man
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by border man »

DO NOT BELIEVE ANYTHING!!!! the recruiter tells you. He cannot offer you a job without you having actually taken the ASVAB. Recruiters are under a strict quota, and will tell you anything you want in order to get you to sign on the line. Your MOS (military occupational specialty) options are dependent on your scores. Don't accept anything that is not in WRITING!
jedthrocornpone
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by jedthrocornpone »

I agree with BM only after the ASVAB and the physical will your list of MOS's become avaliable. Recruiters usually have the best intentions but, in the end best intentions often become broken prmises and lies. Not to be debbie downer but all I got from my recriuter after all he promised was my MOS..............that was enough I'd do it all again in a heartbeat, the best thing I ever did.

good luck and have fun.
paintballrocker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

yeh he told me i wont be able to choose after i take the asvab and the phycical, but i took a "practice' asvab and i scored higher than what i need to for K-9, so i just have to wait n see.

i think the next week or so im going MEPS for the ASVAB and physical, but im not sure, need to see when i can get off of work
Thoughtvoid

Post by Thoughtvoid »

The Air Force has no problem making quotas right now - the economy is great for recruiting (there is actually a pretty long wait period last I've checked). Even if you do get SF as an afsc, which you probably will, because they'll take pretty much everyone, don't count on being a dog handler too soon. Instead, plan on running convoys - that is what you'll be doing.

BTW, in the AF, AFSC = Air Force Specialty Code and is equivalent to MOS
paintballrocker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

don't count on being a dog handler too soon
yeah you are right, the recruiter said you cant be a dog handler until your 2nd year, he said the first 2 you learnt o patrol and everything like a normal secuirty person, the you have to take a test or suomething to move into dog handling.
Thoughtvoid

Post by Thoughtvoid »

What he means is you'll be gate guard duty until S. Sgt, and even some of them I've seen stuck at the gate lol. . . CE/Anything ops group are the best career fields in my opinion...
NO CLUE
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by NO CLUE »

Thoughtvoid wrote:plan on running convoys - that is what you'll be doing.
from my experience the airforce doesn't run convoys in iraq of afgan, they are mostly based out of Kuwait and Qatar. You will pull the crap duties though.
paintballrocker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

update, i got an 81 on my ASVAB test!