There may be a Truce in the AIR!/FirearmThoughts

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

There may be a Truce in the AIR!/FirearmThoughts

Post by F9K9 »

Just as Jerimiah Johnson and the Crow Indians eventually developed a truce after years of fighting.........

The ducks and I may be in a state of truce. After a lifetime of buying rolls of raffle tickets (come to think of it, I bought a chit load at a major Ducks Unlimited banquet) and never so much as winning a patch, I won a shotgun yesterday. It was from a VFD that a coworker is part of. No idea on brand or type but, it's the thought that counts.

Edit........My first edit as a moderator. I just edited the title which any OP can do to a thread. Reed
Last edited by F9K9 on Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Awesome! You can use it to shoot down Fallvitals circling ducks!

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:Awesome! You can use it to shoot down Fallvitals circling ducks!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
kwalsh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kwalsh »

Congrats!!
I won a Ducks Unlimited Charles Daly edition about 3 years ago at a DU raffle.
[size=75]"Pain = weakness leaving the body."[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Man! You guys have all the luck. I'd love to win. Guess that means you must buy a ticket? Right? ;)

Are these "mantle mount guns" or users? Sometimes if you ever shoot one of those collector guns you ruin the value.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
rlrnr53
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by rlrnr53 »

Congratulations. I've bought tickets for some guns, but never been lucky enough to win one. Best I've done was a $25.00 wally world card from the local International dealer at their open house at the beginning of the summer.
[size=75]Mitch
2001 Polo Green Metallic, no mods,(can't afford any)[/size]
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

f9k9 wrote:
HenryJ wrote:Awesome! You can use it to shoot down Fallvitals circling ducks!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I hope its semi-auto and you got a lot of ammo!

lol.

What did you win? Im guessing the old reliable remy 870?
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

fallvitals wrote:..........What did you win? Im guessing the old reliable remy 870?
My coworker talked about it months ago. I am thinking it is a lowly Mossberg, variation unknown. This is his week to rappel out of Blackhawks into marijuana patches so, it will be a week from tomorrow before he can pick it up for me. (next town west of me).

It's not the gun that excites me, it is the fact that I actually won something. I have some nice guns and do not hunt. I actually tried trading the guy who got the grill for the second drawing but, he wasn't interested.

I might trade it out for some muddy looking used rear diff oil, though. :wink:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Might be good trading stock for something you need. I am sure we can find something if it doesn't fit into your collection.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Hey Reed congrats!! Now get rid of that shotgun quick. Not that I mind you winning one I'm just scared to death all them ducks will get spooked and look for another CC owner's residence to hover over. Hopefully not mine!!! I can get in plenty of trouble without waterfoul assistance. (yes I spelled it wrong on purpose) ROFLMAO!!!!
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:Might be good trading stock for something you need. I am sure we can find something if it doesn't fit into your collection.
Brule, I thought that you would naturally assume it's destined for a more permanent stay after it's short term foster home here. :lol:
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Deal! Tell ya what, Ill even drive down to your house to do the trade. Have, even take you out to a nice lunch, any thing you want on the $.99 menu :lol:

Yeah, Mossbergs seem to get raffled a lot. Though I havent heard a bad thing about their shot guns. I about bought on for a dedicated turkey gun, but the forearm rattled like a rattlesnake. I ended up getting a remy 870 SPS super mag synthetic stock with thumbhole.
Last edited by fallvitals on Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

roadrunner wrote:.................I'm just scared to death all them ducks will get spooked and look for another CC owner's residence to hover over.............
Relax, they appear to be circling around a brother in W VA.
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

f9k9 wrote:
roadrunner wrote:.................I'm just scared to death all them ducks will get spooked and look for another CC owner's residence to hover over.............
Relax, they appear to be circling around a brother in W VA.
As long as they are gone by bow season, im good. :lol:

But watch out Reed, fall will be here before ya know it and theyll head back south your way. :lol:
jflatley
Crew
Crew

Post by jflatley »

The Mossberg's are really good guns. I have one shotgun in my collection and it is a Mossberg. I have dropped it off the side of the dock into salt water, took it home, cleaned and oiled it. Shoots Just as pretty as new. I let my brother use it one time, He leaned on the tailgate of his truck, stripped the hunting clothes off and backed over it. Still fires straight. Or maybe I am a little crooked. I have three barrells for it, slug, modified and full. I am surgical with it. I say keep it and use it.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Found out it's a New England Firearms 20 GA pump. I should have been happy with a Mossberg. :?:
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Hey A free gun is a free gun. I still kick myself for selling off my Ithaca 20Ga pump years ago to buy my ex and her family X-Mas gifts. Talk about a bad return on investmentImage To keep the ducks away you might want someone else to test fire it just in case.Image
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

From what I have googled, it is just a rebadged H&R. Am I correct in that assumption? I don't hunt game (have nothing against it) but, I have been hunted.

I don't shoot as much as I would like but, I remain the firearms instructor, rangemaster, and a SigArms armorer.

I really wanted the second place prize which was a grill. :lol:

I think I am settled in my current firearm's inventory. I have owned and traded hundreds of guns in my day but, growing up at 50 yrs old, getting a 3rd Mrs Hoff, moving out of dirt cheap government rental homes and buying my own has slowed down my firearms lust. Hasn't put a dent in my automotive lust but, WTF?

Unless, I come across some gee whiz super gun, I am settled with what I have.

A Benelli Super 90 in 12 ga

A Class II short Colt

SigArms 220

SigArms 229 40 SW

Glock 23C

A Remington 700 in 308 w/ a few mods.

Glock Model 27

Do you think that I can get a somewhat decent grill out of the rebadged H&R?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

You might. What is a "decent" grill to you?
Some might consider a semi trailer that can BBQ four beef "decent". Other find room for a few dogs on the Weber "decent". ;)

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:........What is a "decent" grill to you?...........
We're talking something stationary on the home front. Full size, probably something with the grilling area being stainless, propane and can survive a winter outdoors with a cover.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Not interested in one that you need more than your truck to move around? So much for inviting the whole state of KY over for an "eat-n-swim" ;)

Boy , some grilles can get just crazy :crazy: Can you imagine spending more than the price of a full size vehicle on a grille? Grilles of the rich

- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I used to hunt every weekend as a boy. Less frequently as an adult and when I decided to build the HenryJ "right" I stopped all together.
With a young son growing up way too fast, I need to get back into it.
I still have room to fill some holes in my arsenal. I think Reed has those holes filled in his collection. The "Varmiter", and the "Elephant" guns are what I am missing.
I always thought those would be filled by a .223 Ruger ranch rifle and 45-70 Marlin Model 1895SBL.
The Colt and the 700 look really good too.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Might want to rethink the Ruger Ranch unless they have done an overhaul on the rear sights or you have a bulletproof optical sight. I owned two and each one slipped from a leaning position to another and took out the rear sight. Nothing violent, just a normal fall.

The Class II Colt needs to be addressed, in case, something happens to me. Transfer would be a hassle and I have no idea how difficult it would be to get the "stamp" or permit now.

A "Gee Whiz" gun that I would consider would be a Barret in 50 BMG. Not to practical for the survivalist but "Quigley Down Under" has always been one of my favorite movies. A Barret in action and not for young children or with weak stomached spouses nearby!

I think a trade has already been done for the 20 ga. Come on out to Moab in the spring to make sure. :wink:

Gawd, I am a terrible moderator. :lol: Even for a NOS thread, I managed to hijack my own thread twice! :wink:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Wow, that Barret looks like it will quarter the elk all by itself. Hamburger all ready to go. You just have to find it scattered every where :lol:

I'm not set on the Ruger RR. Seems like I have hear others voicing some dissatisfaction as well. What do you think a good option might be in something similar?

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I really am not all that current on that niche in firearms but, I think you are on the right track choosing the Ruger. I'd have to look at what mounts are available for the non ranch models if, you want optical sights on it. If, you do decide on one let me know. I recently came across a couple ss 30 rd mags that I forgot that I had. :wink:
jflatley
Crew
Crew

Post by jflatley »

WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

Speaking of grills, here's what I got about a month ago:
http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs ... cial=false
Propane side, charcoal side, and has a smoker attached to the end that you can also grill in. :eat:

:D I can take care of some of those waterfowl for you Reed. We can start the process with my Mossberg, and finish with the grilling part. :wink
[size=75]'01 CC w/ a bunch of Mods. More always on the way.
Realization...All women need medication...Just find one on the right medication & make sure she stays on it!!!![/size]