How NOT to recover a vehicle

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

How NOT to recover a vehicle

Post by HenryJ »

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Interesting vids. Should be required viewing for all before attempting to make a recovery! I suspect that more injuries and deaths occur during recovery operations than from actual rollovers and the such.

Thanks, Brule!
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I suspect that you are right. Recoveries can be very dangerous situations. The forces at work are tremendous. Most have no idea the stored energy waiting to be released.

Winch cable (Youtube - Language!)

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

It appears that alcohol might have been a factor in that last vid and it is very apparent that there is no time for, even the most athletic reflexes, to dodge that winch cable end. Laying anything over the cable would have reduced the velocity of the cable's end. They make expensive products for it, as you have mentioned before, anything will work. A coat, sleeping bag, old carpet, another tow strap......etc.

[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

The video with the S10 pulling out the jeep in the snow, I have seen that one before. But never that full video.

Is there a website out there, or book, video, whatever, one good info about wheelin' in general, plus recovery? I do know you want to use recovery straps, without any metal ends or anything, just the looped ends.

Im less then novice about offroad driving, and I think ill be getting into it as soon as im done with my MML, and want to know a little something first.
Last edited by fallvitals on Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The U.S. Army vehicle recovery manual is useful. The Vehicle Dependent Expedition Guide by Tom Sheppard is also a good resource.

Bill Vistas Recovery bible

Warn's Guide to winching

Pirate 4x4 PDF files
Last edited by HenryJ on Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

I bookmarked that link, ill check into that Army manual.

Is there any good resources onoffroading in general? Like how to drive in mud, climb steep hill in various conditions, etc, etc?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

- ThunderII KE7CSK
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Thats a good link, book marked as well.

But that book costs a small fortune! :shock:

Thanks for the info. Now a dumb question, are all recovery straps equal? (say one at harbor freight vs, XXXX Offroad Store)
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

fallvitals wrote:...are all recovery straps equal? (say one at harbor freight vs, XXXX Offroad Store)
Probably not. They are rated. As with anything else it is hard to speculate without specifics.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
paintballrocker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by paintballrocker »

you should get one that is rated to 3times your vehicles weight, thats what my bro told me. luckly since hes a crane operator i got a rigging strap from his crane thats rate to 50,000lbs for free :lol:
[size=75]2002 CC, westin push bar with 2 lights, bed cover, custom made cat-back exhaust.......soon a steering stabilizer mod, lift, sounds system[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Stu Olson has become a pretty good friend over the last couple of years but, his website has almost become a bible to allot of Jeepers. Manufacturers give him stuff to test and he is pretty straight forward. The first several web pages mainly concern synthetic winch line but, read through them and he will explain the different types of straps and what they are intended to be used for. There's a couple of investigations of synthetic winch line failures mixed into it all. I found it educational and replaced my steel cable almost immediately.
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

fallvitals wrote:Is there any good resources onoffroading in general? Like how to drive in mud, climb steep hill in various conditions, etc, etc?
Fall......You live in WV! You should have plenty of experience wheeling in mud & climbing steep hills. :lol: Kidding of course, I know not everyone gets the same driving experiences/raising as others. Good reads. I also have like a 25 or 50K tractor trailer strap that I use for towing vehicles out & I always throw something over it for that just in case issue. 8)
[size=75]'01 CC w/ a bunch of Mods. More always on the way.
Realization...All women need medication...Just find one on the right medication & make sure she stays on it!!!![/size]
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

WVHogRider wrote:
fallvitals wrote:Is there any good resources onoffroading in general? Like how to drive in mud, climb steep hill in various conditions, etc, etc?
Fall......You live in WV! You should have plenty of experience wheeling in mud & climbing steep hills. :lol: Kidding of course, I know not everyone gets the same driving experiences/raising as others. Good reads. I also have like a 25 or 50K tractor trailer strap that I use for towing vehicles out & I always throw something over it for that just in case issue. 8)
I wish that was the case. I have lived in the damned city all my life. A smaller town, not like "small town USA" small, but small... But its gone to hell in the last 5 years or so. :roll: I have always wanted to live in the country, and dream to one day, with a large piece of land.

Now, when it comes to hiing, I have plenty of experiance! lol. Buddy at work said he would take me out sometime. Which would be very awesome.