Non CC P0161 MIL *bad connection

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Non CC P0161 MIL *bad connection

Post by F9K9 »

What does that mean?

It basically means the PCM detected either an excessive current draw, or an open or short in the circuit powering the oxygen sensor's heater circuit. This is in reference to the Heated Oxygen Sensor (2) located rear of catalytic converter (Bank 2).

Symptoms

There will likely be no obvious symptoms other than MIL illumination.
Causes

A code P0161 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

* HO2S heater power circuit open
* HO2S heater ground circuit open
* HO2S signal tracking (due to oil or moisture in the connector)
* HO2S is damaged or has failed PCM has failed
Brule, I am finding mixed answers to this current situation. The Master TSE is saying do not just toss an O2 sensor at it and that the trouble is before the sensor. He is tied up for several days possibly weeks. OEM on heeps are Bosch so, we are not talking major risks here and at 85K they are probably due for replacement anyway. I have cleared the code three times now but it reappears in 2-3 days.

It did start after a trail ride where I cleaned the motor afterward but, any moisture should be long gone. It's been approx 2 weeks since I washed the motor.

TIA

Reed
Last edited by F9K9 on Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Try some dielectric silicone on the connectors.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I may as well try that. It worked in other bizarre scenarios. TY, Brule! Something that simple will probably work.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

It may not, but it is worth a shot. The code does hint to a bad connection or cut wire.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:...............The code does hint to a bad connection or cut wire.
Bingo!!!!!!!!!!! :thumb:
After tossing a $74 part at a problem (the O2 sensor that is not unlike what a dealership would have done and I definitely knew better before doing it) The MIL issue was still there. I checked the connectors to the PCM, that I had tossed dielectric grease on a few months back chasing another problem and the MIL has disappeared.

Tach's shotgun is loaded with #4s if, I even think that I see a duck! :lol:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Point it away from the Jeep! Glad you taught that one to swim, now don't let it forget it can :mg:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:Point it away from the Jeep!........
You got that right!!!!!!! :lol:

JUST
EMPTY
EVERY
POCKET
JUST
ENOUGH
EXTRA
PARTS
:lol: :lol: