New S10 CrewcabTruck New on Here Need Help

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

indigoblueslady

New S10 CrewcabTruck New on Here Need Help

Post by indigoblueslady »

Okay, I'm new on here and I'm female so I probably won't know too much about all the "Technical" stuff you guys are talking about but here goes....I just got an 2003 S10 Crewcab LS ZR5, had to my daughter was complaining about the two door Honda and squeezing into the back. I had a Ford Sport Trac before and liked it but it had some "Lemon" issues, but I liked the style and small bed, so now this S10 fits the bill much better as I really, really like this Truck! (My husband has a 93 Blazer Sport) I've had it checked out by a mech and it needs quite a few things, Trans is dirty, Brake fluid dirty, rear shocks need replaced (I may want to pull a small Jayco featherlite 16.5 with it) and it doesn't have towing so I'll need to find out about that, and Tune-up(it runs Great despite all this). Pheww.. so I'm grateful I found this site, woo hoo! I need help deciding which types of things I'll need...are you ready for the ride? :D
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Re: New S10 CrewcabTruck New on Here Need Help

Post by F9K9 »

indigoblues wrote:..............Pheww.. so I'm grateful I found this site, woo hoo! I need help deciding which types of things I'll need...are you ready for the ride? :D
I thought we were. :lol:

Welcome to the forum and any and all questions are welcome!! These guys have been very helpful to me and not just on truck problems. Members have walked me through home owner's emergency procedures from plumbing to electrical repairs.

Performing a search takes a little time to figure out how to word things to get the correct results and 90% of members are still perfecting their techniques.

I suspect that most of your initial questions will fall under "Stock Crew Cab" but, fire away anywhere you want with questions! :D
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

First things first Welcome aboard.

Of the list you have so far the first word of advice would be spend the money the first time and go with Bilstein shocks all the way around on your crew. It will be the best investment in money you will get in terms of quality of ride and handling. If your camper is just a 4 wire flat a plug in harness adapter setup for trailer wiring is fast and easy takes all of 10 minutes to install, spend the extra on a class 3 hitch if you need to buy one so you won't be stuck if you decide to upgrade to a heavier trailer in the future. Not sure what you are looking for in a tune up but one recommendation to really help out is no matter what else you have done, change the fuel filter, it is often overlooked and is often the cause of driveability issues with these rigs if you go more than 15K without changing it. Also if you are DIYing it and changing the cap and rotor be careful, we have a plastic distributor body that breaks easily if you try to tighten down the screws too much or if you leave the Lock Tite on the threads of the replacements screws (clean it all off before you install them).
Check out the threads on how to post pics to the site and get some up in the readers ride section, we love to see photos of trucks both stock and custom and if you are feeling bold go to faces to names and see what many of us look like in real life :shock:
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
indigoblueslady

You guys are so Nice! 8) Thanks for replying so soon. I have looked through and read some of your forums, like about the shocks. Great forums! The reason I joined too is to get "specific information" for my truck and since all of you seem to "Know your Stuff" :wink: about these S10's that helps a lot! This is where I need some help: I was told to put either "Air Shocks" or "Air Bags" on the rear, I would like to maintain, to some degree, the ride comfort I'm not towing too often but only occasionally. It was also suggested to put a load leveler in...whatever that is. I don't know a lot about this truck but what I do know is I believe the (one) Owner before drove mostly "freeway" miles in it, the radio buttons are worn off on quite a few of the buttons, so looking to replace (radio/CD still works). The trucks wheels are very Nice & New, Rims also like New, without a scratch, but tires are Reg street(?) type tires I think. I happened to notice as an "Option" originally one could of gotten "Bench" seating for the front, I have the graphite bucket, sure would be nice to have the Bench, so I'm looking for some, a guy on Ebay is selling some for $500, phew alot! Well I've got some time for all of this as I'm broke after 'Buying' but I want to be prepared. I also bought an Original Brochure for more specific info, you guys are Great! Thanks! (Sorry for being so LONG Winded :roll: )
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

indigoblues wrote:...I was told to put either "Air Shocks" or "Air Bags" on the rear, I would like to maintain, to some degree, the ride comfort I'm not towing too often but only occasionally. It was also suggested to put a load leveler in...whatever that is.
I would say if you are to the point of needing airbags, air shocks or a weight distributing hitch, you are beyond what you will be comfortable pulling with these trucks. Most try it and end up selling them to get a fullsize for better power and mileage. I would add a transmission cooler and think about adding either programming, programmer, or a shift kit. Some help for the rear springs might be a good idea, but I would wait and see just how much you tow or haul first.
I happened to notice as an "Option" originally one could of gotten "Bench" seating for the front, I have the graphite bucket, sure would be nice to have the Bench, so I'm looking for some, a guy on Ebay
A bench seat was not an option. It may be possible to swap in , but I don't think anyone here has done that. Be prepared for a big hole in the carpet where the console was.

:wave: Welcome aboard.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
indigoblueslady

:?: UMMM...My 2003 S10 pickup Brochure (Crewcab on front) says: "Crew Cab 4x4 Deluxe Cloth Trim *High back front bucket seats shown in Graphite (mine). 60/40 split bench seat available (not shown)... so aft reading I thought they were an Opt.
Are these trucks not capable of towing? My trailer is a Jayco featherlite 16.5 weight 3500. I don't plan on hauling a LARGE trailer just want the capability of towing...and possibly my Jayco either or our 72 Glasstron boat or even smaller types of trailering. Is the "Air shocks" too much and considered more for LARGER "Heavier Duty" type of trailering? I have many questions I'm pondering! :?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

indigoblues wrote::?: UMMM...My 2003 S10 pickup Brochure (Crewcab on front) says: "Crew Cab 4x4 Deluxe Cloth Trim *High back front bucket seats shown in Graphite (mine). 60/40 split bench seat available (not shown)... so aft reading I thought they were an Opt.
Not sure where that came from. The extra cabs had that as an option, but I have never seen one in a factory crew cab, nor do I see the RPO code listed.
I am not saying it is not possible, just be prepared to replace the front half of the carpeting along with the seat.
Are these trucks not capable of towing? My trailer is a Jayco featherlite 16.5 weight 3500. I don't plan on hauling a LARGE trailer just want the capability of towing...and possibly my Jayco either or our 72 Glasstron boat or even smaller types of trailering. Is the "Air shocks" too much and considered more for LARGER "Heavier Duty" type of trailering? I have many questions I'm pondering! :?
The are capable as they are rated up to 5500 lbs and 350 tongue weight.
I would add the improvements to the transmission as ours is know be be somewhat prone to failures.

What I am saying is that I would not go to the expense of adding bags. If you are to that point, then you will likely be happier with a full size.
Many have tried it with trailers as light nor lighter than that. They sold the little truck and bought bigger rigs to get better mileage and power.
Try it as is first. If you need to add a bunch , think seriously about saving the expense and going to a bigger rig. Many before you have spent lots only to lose that investment when they finally went to a bigger truck.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
s10 again
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by s10 again »

:wave: I'm new here as well. I have owned a few s-10s before but this on is my first 4x4 and crew cab. My truck has 103k on it and I have a list of things to do you might want to look at some have changed there order due to what I think is most important on my truck. First thing is a cooling system flush and refill with all makes 50/50 antifreeze. This because my Dex cool is brown and I don't want it to turn to mud. (search Dex cool problems)

Then in order as it stands now, Transmission flush, transfer case oil change, front and rear differential oil change then my brake fluid changed.

Somewhere in the mix will be a tune up including fuel filter. Also I have some front end parts needing to be replaced. You might either check or have your front end checked out and an alignment done. These trucks are hard on the pitman arm and idler arm. Also the torsion bars can sag and throw off your alignment.

Not trying to overwhelm you but many of these things will save you a headache later on. The order you need to change things on your truck may differ due to already being done or condition they are in now. For instance if your Dex cool has been changed or is still orange then you can put that off till later. If it is brown or even worst like sludge then you want to address it much sooner.

Good luck with your crew cab!

Chris.
indigoblueslady

Trying to figure out how to reply with someones "Quotes"? Anyways, Thanks for all your helpful suggestions, definitely much help in getting my truck up to par!
HenryJ, What improvements?...."would add the improvements to the transmission as ours is know be be somewhat prone to failures."
I will post pic of "Brochure". Thanks again!
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The forum limit for images is 100k , so a link may be better.
I don't doubt that is says one is available as an option when it was not really offered. Much of the brocheure was taken from other models. Seems like we found another option that was not offered, or didn't make sense? Rear window defroster? I don't remember now.
HenryJ wrote:... I would add a transmission cooler and think about adding either programming, programmer, or a shift kit.
Transmission: auxiliary cooler. programming , programmer, or shift kit.

Do all the normal maintenance items first. Getting all the fluids changed and filters will do more to help than anything right now.

Save the mods for last.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
indigoblueslady

Okay, got the pic's of Brochure up (pic's of truck soon!) Heres the link: http://s674.photobucket.com/albums/vv10 ... =slideshow

PS is there any way to change my "Username" I think I like "indigoblueslady_03"?
Thanks Guys!
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

That is good for a few laughs. The page with the seats shows a Bravada seat first :lol:
Notice the 2001 auxiliary cassette player and the knurled wood trim , which is not an option for the crew cab either.
How about the Manual transmission, :lol: NOT! Variable ratio power steering? I don't think so.
Quite a bit wrong in that brochure.

indigoblueslady is the best I can do right now. Numbers were banned due to spammers generating numbers in their names.
Last edited by HenryJ on Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
indigoblueslady

I can understnd about the 'Spammers' so "indigoblueslady" is Great, Thanks!
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Welcome aboard! We'll try to help you as much as we can. Some on here are present or former mechanics and many have done quite a few maintenance and repair operations who are not with helpful guidance.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
indigoblueslady

Said I post my Truck so here's the link, I'm sure it doesn't look much different then any of the other S10's on here, except of course the Mod ones!
http://s674.photobucket.com/albums/vv10 ... t%20Truck/
If I can think of any other questions, I'll be sure to ask. Thanks! :P
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jongo88 »

That is a beautiful truck. That is my favorite color!!
2002 GMC Sonoma crew cab 4x4. Tb mod, Air box mod, pre cat delete,B&M shift improver, Trans cooler, Big three ,AD-244 alt,Red top Optima, e-fan, HD Radaitor,265/70-16' on 16x8 TA wheels,, t-bar tweek, 1.5 inch shackles and 2 inch body lift,Skids fender trim, 1.5 inch wheel spacers in front and 2.5 in back, Quad mod and Frog lights.
Transfercase vacuum switch change DO IT!!!