WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO YOUR CREW TODAY?

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I really should be lashed a few times. The CC was fresh when I went to meet Brule in Moab a year ago. I mentioned to Brule that I needed to do an oil change when I returned home. He told me to relax and that 4k on the oil was no biggee. :lol:

Well it is almost a year since I got back from meeting Brule in Moab. I thought that today was a good day to start getting my CC ready for March '10! I haven't put 300 miles on the CC since I got back but, I needed to work on the CC for the upcoming Moab trip.

The yeller bus needed a thorough check out so. I pulled the front skid to lube everything! The skid has taken a beating in 5 yrs.

Here is the skid new.

A shot taken today...........

There is a bunch of scarring on the skid.

I also washed the CC today. What did you do?
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Re: WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO YOUR CREW TODAY?

Post by roadrunner »

f9k9 wrote:I also washed the CC today. What did you do?
Nothin! Been ice storming out for two days now an I ain't up for that kinda discomfort while workin in the fresh air and sunshine garage. :lol: Oh, I guess I have looked out the window at the ice building up on it a coupla times. :wink: :lol:
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I'm changing a fuel filter , rotating tires and considering a transmission dialysis.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Transmission dialysis is something I need to do. Would have already done it again if, I had access to a machine like some people have. If, I do it like some forums suggest, which cooler line would I pull, upper or lower?

Something else that I do now after wrenching on heeps for a couple of years is applying anti-seize on almost all fasteners. I didn't like how the skid bolts felt when I removed them. Messy stuff but, I like it!

Last edited by F9K9 on Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Do you have a cooler? If you do , intercept it.
It flows like this: lower line pumps fluid from the transmission to where I attach the hose and route it to the aux cooler. It then leaves the aux. cooler and returns to the lower connection on the in tank stock cooler. Flows through it and back to the transmission via the upper steel line.
If you have an adapter you can hook your hose to the upper radiator in tank transmission cooler. If not then the lower line coming from the transmission. That may be easier said than done.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

If, I remember correctly we are set up the same way on the aux cooler.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I did the lower line on mine. If yours is the same it would be easy. Just take loose the upper hose and attach a length of hose to the cooler. Drop that one in a bucket and start pumping.

You have a 50/50 shot at not making a huge mess :lol:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
rlrnr53
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by rlrnr53 »

I just got back from a trip to visit a good friend that is going to have chemo and radation treatment starting today. Ineed to change oil, and install synthetic gear oil in the diff. Regarding never sieze, it is almost manditory at work. Road salt in the amounts our trucks are in neccitates generous amounts of the slick stuff. We prefer the copper based version, as it seems to last longer and stays on better.
I need to flush my transmission and change the filter too. I hope to get this done inthe next couple of weeks, along with putting another coat of paint on the fuel door. On another note, does any one know of a simple way to remove what appears to be sand abrasions on a windsield outside of replacing the windshield?
[size=75]Mitch
2001 Polo Green Metallic, no mods,(can't afford any)[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The front windshield is pretty hard and doesn't always polish out very good. Eastwood makes a polishing kit that does a pretty good job. I have one and have used it a couple times on hard to find glass.
My glass shop guy says that in areas that get sand blasted like ours, every five years or so the windshield should be replaced. I tend to agree with him. If I get a chip in glass that old, he'll usually opt for replacement rather than repair.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
rlrnr53
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by rlrnr53 »

Thanks for the quick reply, I guessed that would be the answer, but I may try try it to keep dowm osts.
[size=75]Mitch
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:..............You have a 50/50 shot at not making a huge mess :lol:
Was that necessary? You are fully aware of my luck!
rlrnr53 wrote:................We prefer the copper based version, as it seems to last longer and stays on better........
Is the copper based version readily available in the "jar" size? :wink:
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

Put my 195 stat back in, with winter knocking 180 just doesn't get it.
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Horsehammerr wrote:Put my 195 stat back in, with winter knocking 180 just doesn't get it.
It will work positioned closer to the grille. I went through two falls of switching it!
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

Can't get my thermo(stat) any closer to the grill. :lol:
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

What about the IAT?
rlrnr53
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by rlrnr53 »

yes. We usually buy 5 or 6 bottles at a time from avendor. Permatex shows 3 different types on their website
[size=75]Mitch
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

My IAT is moved to the front side of my aircleaner cap. Did that the same time as the aircleaner mod and Quad headlight mod. 8)
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Nothing too special going on here. I need to clean up my winter rims/snow tires and get them balanced and changed over as well as getting the slide pins on the calipers lubed up before winter salt season hits.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

04crewvt wrote:.............getting the slide pins on the calipers lubed up before winter salt season hits.
Glad you reminded me! :D
border man
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by border man »

Gotta take mine in for an A/C service, it's hot around here :lol:
[size=75]I didn't do it, it was already like that when I got it.[/size]
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Image spitting snow here today at will be in the 30's overnight
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Just had a few inches of wet snow few days ago.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
rlrnr53
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by rlrnr53 »

You guys know how to put a damper on things, I wasn't wanting to hear the "S" word until much later, about May or June.
[size=75]Mitch
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

What have I done to the crew today?.......Stopped by a car lot to see how much I could get for it! :shock: Oh, and I'll be stopping on my way home to get another set of headlight bulbs & door pins. This thing just got about $500 worth of parts put on it not even 4 months ago, and it hasn't even been used that much due to utilizing my bike. It's really starting to irritate me, and I know there's some other issues....Fuel leak from the filler neck area, (due to an electronic brake wire that shorted & must have burnt a hole in the tank/neck), blower motor is going, CV axle to replace, engine oil leaks, steering pump freezing issues, still getting DTC's for the small evap leak, and brakes again. :twisted:
Last edited by WVHogRider on Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
[size=75]'01 CC w/ a bunch of Mods. More always on the way.
Realization...All women need medication...Just find one on the right medication & make sure she stays on it!!!![/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Dump that sucker and buy a Toyota.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

I've got my eye on a couple newer full size Chevy/GMC's at a local lot.....I can't afford new right now. I may ride the CC through winter, but that may be it for the CC. I now have the GF moved in & she's paying some of the monthly bills, so a "new" truck may be doable by spring. 8)
Realization...All women need medication...Just find one on the right medication & make sure she stays on it!!!![/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

You will find similar problems in the GM fullsize. Maybe try another brands problems?

- ThunderII KE7CSK
14x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 14x4 »

HenryJ wrote:Dump that sucker and buy a Toyota.

Thats depressing. :cry:
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

It's also a COP-OUT !!
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

HenryJ wrote:You will find similar problems in the GM fullsize. Maybe try another brands problems?
That may be true, but a full size is needed....remember I have a 20' camper to haul during the summer & the CC was having a pretty good work out while hauling it. I could also use the full size bed for hauling my four-wheeler all winter when I go hunting. Also, I now have more than just my daughter to haul around when I add in the GF & her three daughters for a total of 6 occupants, and that's not including our pets. :roll: I'm not sure when it will happen, but I'll miss my CC when it does... :cry: ...I know because I had the truck out on some paths last night scouting some hunting spots that I know a full size just will not fit, but I guess that's what the four-wheeler is for though. :(

Edited: Plus my daughter, GF, & her three daughters have all been devising a plan for me to get an even larger camper, or to add a boat to my list of toys. I guess I'm postponing adding my second harley to the garage.
Last edited by WVHogRider on Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The need to go fullsize is definitely there.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
rlrnr53
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by rlrnr53 »

Just finished back flushing the heater core, not enough heat on thes 27 degree mornings. After flushing, heat is again in the cab.
[size=75]Mitch
14x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 14x4 »

In the process of doing the Skidz cuts right now. :nana:
kwalsh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kwalsh »

I just undid my "Hot Feet Fix". It's that time of the year.
[size=75]"Pain = weakness leaving the body."[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

14x4 wrote:
In the process of doing the Skidz cuts right now. :nana:
Good luck and keep us posted!
kwalsh wrote:I just undid my "Hot Feet Fix". It's that time of the year.
I actually almost forgot this unseemingly important mod. I don't actually remember what condition mine is in. I do appreciate the reminder and will check on mine in the AM.
14x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 14x4 »

Double post.
Last edited by 14x4 on Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
14x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 14x4 »

f9k9 wrote:Good luck and keep us posted!
Thank you! All I was able to finish tonight was the back end. Those front support arms on the rear end are a pain! I had to jerry rig one of them (couldn't bend it like the directions say) and I didn't even put the other one back on! I have to do it tomorrow, along with completing the front.

Is there anything in particular I should be away of when cutting the front? Theres a bunch of junk on the inside... I don't know how well I'm going to fair. :?
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

A Good Sharp Fine Tooth Metal sawsall blade, SLOW Steady cut. :lol: 8)
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

14x4 wrote:..........Is there anything in particular I should be away of when cutting the front? Theres a bunch of junk on the inside... I don't know how well I'm going to fair. :?
Bear in mind that you are not the first one into these uncharted waters. I literally did not even know what a sawzall was until this forum. :lol:

One thing I remember is that your second front wheel cut will be better than the first one and take half the time. :wink: The angling of the saw blade's tip towards the front of the CC is the key but, Brule's instructions really are well written. I reread them so many times when I did my wheel wells that it's not funny.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

14x4 wrote:...Those front support arms on the rear end are a pain! I had to jerry rig one of them (couldn't bend it like the directions say) and I didn't even put the other one back on!
You will need to remove them to twist them. One end in a vise and a pair of locking pliers would be the easiest way. If you don't have that, you will need to improvise. A piece of pipe slipped over the 90 degree end and the other with a long bolt or heavy screw driver through it. Do the best you can. If you have access to a torch, heat will help.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
14x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 14x4 »

HenryJ wrote:
14x4 wrote:...Those front support arms on the rear end are a pain! I had to jerry rig one of them (couldn't bend it like the directions say) and I didn't even put the other one back on!
You will need to remove them to twist them. One end in a vise and a pair of locking pliers would be the easiest way. If you don't have that, you will need to improvise. A piece of pipe slipped over the 90 degree end and the other with a long bolt or heavy screw driver through it. Do the best you can. If you have access to a torch, heat will help.
Thats exactly what I told the guy who was helping me - but he said "No way - it will crack." :twisted:
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

I Just grabbed hold of the little mothers with visegrips and twisted them around to where the would reattach to the original hole. The inner fender where they are attached just twisted to where I needed them. :!: :roll: 8)
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Broke down and replaced both rear shaft U-joints. Front one was real stiff and rusty and rear one was nearly ready to roll out and chuck the shaft. Phew glad I didn't wait any longer.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
border man
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by border man »

Turned my A/C fan switch to setting number 2.. :woohoo: no more number 4 to cool the truck off. Come January, it might go all the way down to 1. :lol:
[size=75]I didn't do it, it was already like that when I got it.[/size]
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

border man wrote:Turned my A/C fan switch to setting number 2.. :woohoo: no more number 4 to cool the truck off. Come January, it might go all the way down to 1. :lol:
Really feel for ya man! :lol: What ya gonna do when ya have to go to just rolling down the windows? Put on a parka? :wink: :lol:
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

What is this hot foot fix you are all speak of ?? My feet are never hot in my Crew, He says as it took till 10 am on Tuesday before the frost was off the windshield. By January it will take 2 miles for the heat to even start to show up and nearly 5 before the truck will shift into OD.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I sure like the switch I added to my hot foot fix and heater control valve. I can switch back and fourth easily.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
14x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 14x4 »

I just finished the Skidz cuts. Everything looks pretty good considering I've never done body work.

However, the metal shields/covers on the inside of the front wheel-wells are sticking out farther than desired.
s10 again
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by s10 again »

Just finished replacing the blower motor. Dang little truck ate my 1/4" ratchet 2 sockets and one screw that bolts in the blower motor. :twisted:

I also broke the wire loom clip for the ECM. Is that a bad thing should I zip tie that loom to the rest of the clip or will it ride ok like that?

Almost forgot washed it up a little it was being a dirty little truck!!!

Chris.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Zip tire it to something near by and you should be fine!
s10 again
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by s10 again »

Zip ties it is then. Those little buggers are working their way to the same fame as duct tape and bailing wire. :lol:

Chris.