First deer of the year wtih a bow

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

First deer of the year wtih a bow

Post by fallvitals »

I had some bad luck last year bowhunting, saw deer every trip out, but only one shot and I missed. Still it was a good year in that, i went from seeing nothing on public land, to deer every trip in new spots a buddy and I scouted out.

Monday work sent me home early, so I went hunting on public. Its a 2 mile walk to get there from the truck. Bowhunting, and self filming using a camcorder mounted on the bow. Now this is a small deer, but after getting nothing last year, and the second chance at a public land deer I took it.

I got 2 rump roasts, 9 packages of burger, and 5 packages of steak from him :) He will eat well :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3dqksjR_Ck
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Nice.
Mouth watering finger steaks are in your future.

Any way to get a picture of your hardware? I'd like to see the bow and how you took the video. That cart is nice too. Maybe a list of what you used on this trip?

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
14x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 14x4 »

Nice video!

Do you ever use a rifle or shotgun? Or are you strictly a bow-hunter?
03 ZR5. 4-Linked Dana 44
border man
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by border man »

That was disturbing :cry: You killed Bambi.. :cry:
[size=75]I didn't do it, it was already like that when I got it.[/size]
PATRICKH
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by PATRICKH »

Nice shot. Quick kill.

I had our processor mix several lbs of the burger with sausage a couple of years ago and it was GOOD!.
[size=75]"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things"[/size]
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Ill see if I cant take a picture of my bow with the camcorder on it. I modified the camcorder mount with a support bar. When i got it "stock" it acted like a tuning fork and vibrated for about 3-4 seconds after the shot. Granted theres vibration now its 1000% better then it was before.

The cart is a cheap one from gander mountain. I modified it too. The front bar, with the camo tape on it. I got a long piece of aluminum square tubing, attached it to the cart, so i basically extended the front of it that you pull by. Added pvc pipe foam to it, and wrapped camo duct tape around it. Its a really nice set up. now i can stand IN the cart and pull it with my torso rather then pulling it behind me with my hands, if you get what im saying.

I used rage 2 blade mechanicals. I got them, cause i was having trouble with my broadheads, but found out what my issue was after. But i wasnt impressed enough to keep using them, so going back to broadheads.

Im leaving tommorow to go to tyler county (2 hours north) for few days, dad and I bowhunting. I think ill have pretty good luck there. Trying it from a Double Bull ground blind. First time ever in a ground blind for deer. should be interesting.

Nope I love bow hunting, but I use a gun as well. Though Id rather get em all with a bow :P

Ill try to get some pictures up tonight. I need to go change the oil in the crew, finish installing the new carpet, rotate tires, maybe change spark plugs with new AC delcos i got for $3/plug!, and fabricate my gap guards from conveyor belt I got from work months ago.
DLP
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by DLP »

Nice shot. Very good job with the cam. What was he eating off the bottom of the log?
[size=75][b][color=blue]2003 Blue Crewcab[/b][/color][/size]
DeiselRed
Crew
Crew

Post by DeiselRed »

Have you tried the Slick Trick broadheads? they fly just like feild points up to like 30 yards with my setup.
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Sorry I didn't get that picture for ya Brule. I got real busy packing, dad and I were hunting a fe whours north on private land till Friday, we left Sunday.

Im not sure what he was eating... moss? ut I dont think there was any on it? Im not sure about other areas, but we had a late frost in May, which really really hurt the acorn mast this year. The roads are littered with dead squirells searching for food. If he have a hard winter it is really gonna hurt the animal populations here. That said.. he was probably just eating whatever he could find?

I also just got back from that hunting trip and its bad up that way. Theres not any big bucks, but TONS of deer. I got one (tuesday) (video hopefully will be up today) I put dad in my blind with me the next day (wed) she came withen 20 yards, but the blind's pole was in his way. I had a clear shot but was videoing. And that was the only chances we had... DIdnt even see any thing else. And thats crazy, cuase youll see deer traveling all day,, even if they are in range. We think they are just bedding outside of fields and waiting till dark to eat. Cause there is nothing in the woods for em.

Slick tricks, yes sir. Infact the doe I got on video im working to upload this evening, I shot with a slick trick magnum. First time getting a deer with a slick trick, it did a daym good job.

I shoot G5 strikers and Slick Tricks. Both pretty similer. My problem with getting them to fly this year at first, was for some reason... my bow setup wasnt changed (I do all my own bow work). Same poundage, string, arrows, etc. But I was hitting right. Turns out I was stiff. So i lowered my poundage by 3 pounds and it was perfect. Weird how it was just fine last year and i didnt touch the tunning on it, or change arrows. :?:

Just because they are advertised to fly like broadheads doesnt mean they will at all. You still need a tuned bow, and proper arrow selection, just like I experianced above. Even when I didnt have problem with em, they would hit a little right, but a 1/16" adjustment of the rest would bring the field points and broadheads together.
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Re: First deer of the year wtih a bow

Post by fallvitals »

I got this one a few weeks later. Dads first tiem bowhunting in a few years. We hunted 5 days, it was hard hunting,, no acorns this year becuase of a late frost. Saw very few deer and thats not normal at all for this property. Day after I got my doe (got her on the second day) I let dad hunt in my blind, I filmed, we had one come to 20 yards,get spooked from my scent wick and possible human odor. He had a perfect 20 yard shot but the pole in the blind was in the way! Darn... only shot he had all week... but it was fun.

heres the video from that one,
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: First deer of the year wtih a bow

Post by HenryJ »

Well done!

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK