Finally had a day off with good weather

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Finally had a day off with good weather and mild temps. Got the caliper slide pin all slippery and have the studded snows on for the winter. Next up it's due for a lube /oil/filter and to figure out why I am now getting a P0016 code, looks like another trip to the stealership. If the weather holds I may try to get the window glass polished up tomorrow, needs a good scrubbing with Bon-Ami and a coat of rain-x. Looks like in the spring I will be due for an exhaust system, factory stainless is showing signs of rot at the junction of the tailpipe and muffler joint, will most likely go cat back system when it finally fails.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Re: Finally had a day off with good weather

Post by 04crewvt »

Well I finally got the P0016 code to set again so the dealership would check to see what was wrong. They found the distributor was seized internally and was not able to adjust properly so now with 63K it's time for a whole new distributor assembly. They also found the axle seal leaking in the rear on the drivers side and on the way to the shop this morning I broke the windshield so down goes another $1000.00 or so on this rig.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
rlrnr53
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by rlrnr53 »

04crewvt, I broke my windshield the first week of Dec trying to get some 1" gas pipe home. I had run it through the sliding window and had it resting on the dash cushioned by a couple of rags. I thoucht I had adequate clearence, but after strapping the pipe down, I didn't notice that the pipe was just barely touchimg the windshield until I hit a hole in the road and the pipe came upa and cracked the windshield. A local glass shop wil chrage about $160.00 to replace when I can scrape up the money.
[size=75]Mitch
2001 Polo Green Metallic, no mods,(can't afford any)[/size]
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

I just got mine back from the dealership, they did the window for $180 which is on par with the local glass shops. I could have waited till it needed inspection but since modern vehicles get a lot of there structural stability from the glass I figured it was best to replace now, besides it was already in the shop.

On the distributor problem the official paperwork reads as follows:
Found code to be intermittent during diagnosis. Found the distributor main shaft to be loose causing the timing to change
I had them give me the old distributor just to look at it and see what they were talking about I will take a look when I get the time.

With any luck I should be good to go again. I am debating spending the money on an extended warranty of some kind depending on how much the cost would be on the truck. It currently has 63K on it and a warranty on the transmission/drive line might be a good idea seeing as how the rest of the truck has plagued me with issues. I would love to have the CarFax run on this at this point just to see how bad it looks. I am afraid at this point even if I wanted to sell it or trade it it would be dinged in value due to all it has had done.
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Postby HenryJ on Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:39 am

The whole distributor thing has me a little worried. Without removing it there is no way to tell it is seizing. There is no mechanical advance to go bad. The housing is plastic. What could it possibly seize to? With the engine stopped there is nothing in there to move. I will grant you that I have seen them loose and worn, but not stuck. Something may be getting lost in the translation here, but it all sounds a little fishy to me.

I would be tempted to get a second opinion and find a good shop with which to build a relationship.
I figured I would put this over here just to keep all the info on the distributor/ P0016 code in the same place.
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

Tell them to SHOVE their extended warranty. Even Consumers Report advises this to be only in manufacturers interest.
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

They are not recommending one to me I am checking into it. I have spent a fortune on repairs out of pocket that MIGHT have been covered with the extended warranty they offered me for 1200 when I bought the truck. I am looking at it as a possible hedge against the transmission or other component fails and sets me bad another 2K or more. I know a lot of them are snake oil or impossible to collect on so I am just looking around right now.
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Well it looks like I finally have a Crew that is running right again after all this time. As of now I have gone 2 months without a check engine light and am back to 16.3 MPG average with factory tune and still with studded snows on 50/50 mix highway +/-65 county roads +/- 45. Switched to summer tread and reprogrammed with the Hypertech this Monday so will see how things go. Looks like the distributor was the final piece to the blown engine/trouble codes/mileage issues.
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Glad to here the cc is running good again! Did you ever find a good extended warranty? I've purchased one with the last 3 vehicles I've bought and each time the warranty more than paid for itself. I believe they were all under $1500 while the repair costs on each one exceeded $2500. GMAC and Zurich were both easy to work with, but I had one from Tech Serv that was a hassle to deal with every time something needed to be fixed.

Steve
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Unfortunately they were all wanting around $2000-2500 for the coverage I would want and about the time I was looking I realized I was going to have to put a new roof on my house this spring/summer so funds had to be rerouted to the greater project. I guess for now I will hope for the best with the crew.