Power Inverters

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Power Inverters

Post by 04crewvt »

Hey gang,

Our C.E.R.T team is on the lookout for a upgraded power inverter for our Command and Communications trailer. We were good with a small 200 watt unit until we went overboard on creature comforts like the electric fan, baseboard heater and the need to run up to 3 laptops in the trailer when on full deployment. I am thinking something in the 1500w range would work (not everything is on at once) but am leery of getting a cheapie Harbor Freight special and having it give up when we need it most. Any insights on a better quality than average unit?
We run a dc/ac system where we feed a 12v line directly from 3 marine batteries for 12v needs and then use the inverter to convert and back feed line voltage to power the ac equipment , we also can run a generator to power the entire system feeding it into the trailer and feeding the ac directly as well as charging the batteries.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
DLP
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: Power Inverters

Post by DLP »

I use a 750 at my cabin running off 3 marine batteries. I have solar panels charging the batteries. I also have a 1500 that I switch on to run the microwave or pump. But the larger units use a lot of juice while on standby. But if your charging the batteries with the motor running, you wont be as prone to wasting battery power. I have a 200 in my CC that powers 1 puter with the motor running just fine. But if the motor is off, I don't use the inverter for very long. As it will drain the battery in a short time.
[size=75][b][color=blue]2003 Blue Crewcab[/b][/color][/size]
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Re: Power Inverters

Post by 04crewvt »

The 1500w is for maximum SHTF scenarios, while we certainly do not need it all the time we want to have the reserve when needed. a coffee maker and microwave my also be in the trailer if we are forced to use it for a prolonged time. We really do not care about parasitic drain from the inverter if we are running low on juice we will just fire up the 2.5kw generator we have on board and if we are really in need of power we go grab one of our 2- 5kw units.

What I am looking for is a brand if anyone has an opinion, money is not the object here as we will be submitting a proposal to our local Emergency Planning Commission to buy it and they would rather we spend a lot on one good unit than go cheap and have to replace it or have it crap out when in the field.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]