Entertain me, solid front axle, v8, etc

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Entertain me, solid front axle, v8, etc

Post by fallvitals »

I was chatting with a buddy of mine at work. He said as soon as I go full time (could be 20 days to a few months) ill sell the crew and get a full size. I said im not gonna sell my s10 till I need a full size to pull a boat or something. Then said I might even keep it as a 'toy'.

Then started thinking.. later on down the road when I do get another truck... if I keep this sucker as a toy... I (I being a local 4x4 shop as this would be out of my league),,, I would want to put a V8 in it, beef up the transmition/axle/diff. Solid front axle. and then maybe a suspension lift since, if im not mistaken? the front end will be completely different and a suspension lift wont "hurt" it like the IFS we have.

Any one care to throw a number out there about what this would cost me? I am guessing $10K, probably will never do it, but if I keep my crew as a toy later on down the road, I might.... or just get a jeep wrangler... they seem to have better accessories :roflmao:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Entertain me, solid front axle, v8, etc

Post by HenryJ »

If you are not doing the work yourself, then $10k US is a good place to start for the front axle swap. Add the same amount for a V-8 swap as well.
Plan on $20 for both and don't be upset if cost over runs add 25% to that number.

These estimates can be narrowed down considerably once you get down to specifics. Axle selection, suspension, engine ,transmission. All have numerous variables , not only with specific component assemblies, but the choices of internal parts for the assemblies.

Do not underestimate the effect one mod has on another and the speed at which this snowball gains size as it careens downhill at dizzying speeds.

It is best to take your time. Once you have $5 in the bank ready to hand over to the builder, you are ready to get started. That will get things ordered for the axle swap and start the dis-assembly process. Have another installment payment ready in good time as the next $5k needed will not be too far behind. That will get your half down and the rest should be negotiated upon inspection and delivery. If you drag it out over the long term those conditions may not apply and the payment schedule agreed to before the project begins.

Your part is the hard part. You need to do your research and have a clear and concise plan. This may mean visiting local installers and beginning the relationship that will be needed for something like this. If you think a bank will loan money on a project like this...Wake up! No lender is going to give you four times the value of the vehicle for modifications that will devalue it.

Think hard about what you want from the vehicle and then why. Do not get sentimental about the vehicle. That is expensive. Look at the project from an outsiders view and plan the vehicle as a tool. You don't take a bucket to a warehouse fire, no matter how nicely polished the stainless steel bucket might be. Sure you will look good with your bucket, but is it really going to work?

Just food for thought.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

wow that was much more detailed then I expected! lol.

Lots of good points. I just want a toy vehicle... a Heep would probably be a better choice. Especially when I plan to buy my "farm" in 10 years. I wouldn't mind having a set up like Reed's. But if this project ever comes to pass, reguardless of the vehicle I will definantly be paying straight cash. Thanks for all that info definantly gives me a bit to think about in the years ahead :thumb:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The Jeep may better fit your needs. The V-8 and axle are already there. There are literally hundreds of choices out there and the future may bring more.
If I wanted to build myself a "toy" offroader, the choice would be difficult. I have a soft spot for several different rigs. A Baja Bug on 36" tires would be fun. As would an all out mid engined rally rig. Several classics are also in my desirable list.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
s10 again
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by s10 again »

HenryJ wrote:The Jeep may better fit your needs. The V-8 and axle are already there.
That would depend upon the Jeep. The Wranglers and Liberties never had a v-8 and some with the v-8 are IFS. If you don't get something like the Rubicon with its 44s front and rear or build past what they can handle (easily done) axles will still need upgrading. And already having a solid front axle saves little if you get to the point that relocated long arms are needed because then you are redoing the whole front end.

Any big build is going to cost you big $$$ even more so if you have to have a shop do the work. As Hj pointed out there is a snow ball effect that occurs when adding power or lift and bigger tires. Throw all three in the mix at once things get crazy. A Jeep build can cost you as much to build as the s10 crew cab would.

Take my Jeep Cherokee for instance. I did some trading and got some of the parts off a wrecked rig. So my 6.5 lift (7.5 actual) and 35"tires were a good deal. But that alone can kill 2k plus. Then we started finding all the weak links. The stock steering linkage was flexing too much so there went another grand. Next the steering box,pump and uni-body where the box bolts to needed upgrades so bye bye to another 1000$. Luckily My rear was heavy duty from the get go or that would kill another 1000$. All this and the rig is less than half complete and a v-8 isn't even in the plans.Now keep in mind I did all the work myself you will have to add much more if a shop does the work. It still needs a stronger front axle,gears, lockers and a whole bunch of other parts. Opps forgot a mistake I made (You need to plan for those as well) that needs to be corrected that is going to cost another grand or so in suspension parts. Remember that long arm set up from above!

My advice would be the same as Hjs for the most part. Make sure you plan well and are looking at how one thing effects others. Take time to think how you wheel your rig and build for that. Also think very hard before you get too carried away what you are going to build. Big Jeeps are all over the place. Big built s10 crew cabs are not so it will get attention and set you apart.

My :2: worth.
Chris.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Brule and Chris have a lot of good advice. Figure out what you want to do with a rig. If, you just want a mall crawler or you have a desire to wheel. Wheeling equals a non shiny rig. Trail riding equals damage from anything from requiring frequent fluid changes to sheet metal damage or worse. Do a search for a local off road clubs/forums and join one or two. Go on a ride with them and see what it is like. If, you buy a stock heep of want to try your CC on a ride then, they will take care of you to avoid damage. Wheeling the thing, as is, will give you an idea on where you want to go.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

Check out S10Extremist.org :rock:
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN