Winch Question

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Winch Question

Post by green02crew »

Its on a Honda Foreman ATV. 3k lb Warn winch. The winch goes in fine but as soon as the out button is pressed, it pops a fuse (15amp). My dad suggested there could be moisture in the winch and to run it in, freespool out, then run in again and get it warmed up to see if that helps. I didn't think it would do much but worth a shot, still blows fuses. I would think its grounding out somewhere, any thoughts?

It went in and out fine when lifting the plow blade, then it went in and would not come back out.

***Update: Apparently the winch control box has a recall from Warn due to possibly fire issue due to heating up, so after signing up for that recall notice, a free one is on its way. That will limit it to either a wire short, winch motor issue or switch failure. One of 4 possibilities replaced for free!
http://www.warn.com/atv/recall_notice.shtml
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: Winch Question

Post by green02crew »

Contactor replaced. Winch motor checked okay. Switch checked okay. Turned out to be a melted wire in a spot very hard to find and hardly noticeable. Repaired and back up and running!
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Winch Question

Post by HenryJ »

Nice! Thanks for the follow-up :thumb:

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK