Engine swap

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

rlrnr53
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Engine swap

Post by rlrnr53 »

My next job is to put an engine in our 2003 pontiac Montana. My daughter called Wednesday evening to inform me that the engiine was making noise. When i got there, noise was a little bit of an understatement. It starts and runs, but doesn't have enough power to move. I've found a used engine, headlight assy. and turn light to resplace the one that was knocked off in a parking lot incident. If I can find a seat base to replace the broken seat back adjuster I hope that the van will last them through college. I have to go to Virginia to repair and pick up a 1994 Buick LeSabre for the other one. I thought babies were expensive whet these two showed up. All of this is on top of over $400.00 for two prom dresses. Anyone have a spare few thousand they don't need?
[size=75]Mitch
2001 Polo Green Metallic, no mods,(can't afford any)[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Engine swap

Post by HenryJ »

Oh what I have to look forward to :blink:
That van engine might be some kind of fun. You gut those from underneath, don't you?

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
rlrnr53
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by rlrnr53 »

This one looks like it can come out the top. Since I don't have the headroom, I hope that it will come out easily.
[size=75]Mitch
DLP
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by DLP »

Good luck with the kids. It sounds like home around here too. I have one in college that we just bought a new/used car for and one doing the prom thing. At least he wont need a dress!
[size=75][b][color=blue]2003 Blue Crewcab[/b][/color][/size]
rlrnr53
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by rlrnr53 »

After all the headaches and heartaches of the past 5 -6 months, I finally have time to start on the engine swap. I've been working on the used engine I purchased in April and just got every thing done to it that I wanted. I moved it over to my sisters house last Tuesday and got it up on stands to get started, but when I hooked up my compressor only to blow the electrical in the garage. I got to spend today replacing a fuse box with a new breaker box and tie it in to the garage power. alking about Murphy's law, I think Mr. Murphy has taken up residence with me. HJ, you were right, the whole drive train has to come out the bottom, just another headache to deal with.
[size=75]Mitch
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Well it sounds like a productive long weekend. You were able to work on many things needing attention. Now to work your way back up to the top of the list :)

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
rlrnr53
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by rlrnr53 »

Murphy has taken up residence in the van! After getting the engine in and running, I kept getting 3 transmission codes. After further investigation, I found four pins bent on the transmission side of the wiring harness. When I finally got the harness out, I found that part of the connector had separated from the transmission part of the plug and came out with the male part of the connector. If everything goes OK, I should be able to get the van on the road tommorrow.
[size=75]Mitch
rlrnr53
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by rlrnr53 »

Friday I finally got everything finished. After checking all of the lights, wipers, and all other items for state inspection, new sticker on and a few miles road test, I finally gave it the OK for my daughter to take. It runs better than it has in a few years. New headlight capsules and new front bulbs in the front lights, should be good to go for the next year or so.
[size=75]Mitch
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

A weight off your shoulders?

- ThunderII KE7CSK
rlrnr53
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by rlrnr53 »

Very Large weight. I made sure to text her to remember to keep check on all fluid levels, I'm 95% sure that an incident about a year and a half ago involving not keeping check on the antifreeze led to the engine swap.
[size=75]Mitch