Fell further in love with the CC :D

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

WileyHunter
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Fell further in love with the CC :D

Post by WileyHunter »

Well I just gotta say. I've now made the trip from Deming, NM to Ozark, AR for the second time this year in the CC (first was a RT this one was a one way). This trip was hauling a U-Haul 5x8' trailer crammed packed and the bed overflowing. I couldn't tell you how much weight, but there was PLENTY! We fought high winds for two days, I know 35-40 kts on day one, not sure on day two. I am a bit tired of sitting in the seat, but my CC has just earned it's keep in my opinion.

I didn't have but one MINOR problem the entire trip. It threw a P0101 code about 4 hours into the trip. A can of 'sensor' cleaner and we were good to go THANK GOODNESS!!! I did get pretty cruddy mileage, down to 10mpg one tank avg at 17mpg. I came real close to finding out how hard it would be to push the CC with a trailer to the fuel pump :loser: just because I thought I could do better, had 1/2 gallon in the tank when I stopped. I'll be going through the maintenance checks again soon (had done full service right before the trip) just to be nice to the ol' CC, it has 155k miles on it after all.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Fell further in love with the CC :D

Post by HenryJ »

Good to hear a positive story once min a while.

On my recent trip I got a best just over 15 mpg and a worst just under 11 mpg. That was grossing just under 9k#, The trailer was nearly 2k# of that.

I'm like you, its a keeper even with a cruddy mileage. Overall the experience was good.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
WileyHunter
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WileyHunter »

More good news from this story...

The paint job (which is kinda faded and worn anyway) got beat up pretty good on the bed from the bungies and tarp eyes. My wife has said that when the business gets running and we're doing ok, it's paint job time!!! Yay!
WileyHunter
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WileyHunter »

Well, hate to say it but I managed to get the CC stuck today :oops: I was riding the fenceline of the airport that I now manage when I came across an Arkansas Swamp of sorts (mostly cow p!ss and pies I think from the smell of it), so I hit 4Hi and slung some mud, all was fine... A few hundred feet later I came across a creek that runs the length of the property, I stop put it in 'N' and hit 4Lo "just in case" and plan to parallel the run. Well, as I am waiting for 4Lo to engage the truck starts rolling slightly, I hit the brakes and SLIDE into the creek!!! BAM! Well I try to get it out and it FAILED :twisted: so I :surrender: and call the only person I know in town that might/could help me... Unfortunately he drives a heep wangler. While I'm waiting I set up my 5/8" towline (from my Aerostat days) and throw it on his hitch when he shows up. He had a 'bit' of a problem getting me out, but after a few tugs out comes the CC, :whew: I pulled up to the motel to pick up the wife and she looked at the truck and started smiling... "Just had to go mudding already didn't ya?" I haven't told her about the 'getting stuck part yet'...
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

WileyHunter wrote:........ I set up my 5/8" towline (from my Aerostat days)........
Could you elaborate on this?
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
border man
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by border man »

Helium air balloon tether. They (wiley) were doing some project for DHS I believe in Deming, NM. The balloon was flown pretty high but remained tied to the ground(5/8 towline). Wiley will chime in, but I think the craft had cameras/sensors as part of Border protection.
[size=75]I didn't do it, it was already like that when I got it.[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

OIC, Thanks
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
WileyHunter
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WileyHunter »

border man wrote:Helium air balloon tether. They (wiley) were doing some project for DHS I believe in Deming, NM. The balloon was flown pretty high but remained tied to the ground(5/8 towline). Wiley will chime in, but I think the craft had cameras/sensors as part of Border protection.
Close border man :D... The main tether is a 3/4" (?) tedlar line. My 5/8" "Towline" was one of the mooring lines that we used while the old gal was parked on the pad. As far as equipment on-board, I can only state the publicly available info of being equipped with an airborne radar unit that is capable of air and ground target tracking. Other equipment packages are out there and some new ones being tested, not sure what will be on the border units in the future.
border man
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by border man »

Looks like your prior project is no more......
http://azstarnet.com/news/local/border/ ... 002e0.html
[size=75]I didn't do it, it was already like that when I got it.[/size]