Silverado ZR2 Concept!

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

14x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Silverado ZR2 Concept!

Post by 14x4 »

Have you guys heard about this? What are your thoughts?
The Chevrolet Silverado ZR2 Concept is a reasonable attempt to bring the off-road fight back to Ford, with a four-inch lift, 20-inch BBS RD wheels, BDS shocks and a 550-hp supercharged version of GM's LS crate V8. But the real work is hidden beneath the clear coat, with carbon fiber body panels replacing the steel hood and fenders.
The Silverado ZR2 is based on an extended cab/short box body. The custom bodywork includes carbon fiber fender flares that stretch outward to cover the 35-inch-tall Goodyear Wrangler off-road tires and widened stance. Much of the truck's body is made of carbon fiber, including the front fenders, extractor-style hood, rocker extensions and tailgate, which features large, debossed CHEVROLET lettering as a nod to Chevy trucks of the past.

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/11/03/sema ... angler-ye/

I think this is awesome. I hope it doesn't turn out to be another Baja Crew Cab. :x
03 ZR5. 4-Linked Dana 44
paintballrocker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: Silverado ZR2 Concept!

Post by paintballrocker »

i like it!
[size=75]2002 CC, westin push bar with 2 lights, bed cover, custom made cat-back exhaust.......soon a steering stabilizer mod, lift, sounds system[/size]
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Love it, about darn time!
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Nice truck, but very expensive to put into production, and it would have a price tag well over $50k which makes it impractical and highly unlikely to ever get the green light from the now conservative GM.

Steve
border man
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by border man »

Nice concept truck, but the Raptor is a better purpose built machine. The ZR-2 seems to be another cosmetically upgraded Silverado at a premium price. Like killian stated, the price alone would be sky-high appealing to only the most die-hard of GM fans.

[size=75]I didn't do it, it was already like that when I got it.[/size]
DLP
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by DLP »

I an not a Ford fan myself. But my best friend is in charge of the line building the Raptor. We get to take one up-north next weekend to test. They said drive it like you own it. We are pulling the quads up, but I think most of the trail riding will be done in the truck! They said that it has to come back pretty-much in one piece so they can do a crash test on it the following week. What a waste. They were doing lap times and drags with it Friday. Guess it is supose to be pretty bad.
[size=75][b][color=blue]2003 Blue Crewcab[/b][/color][/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Isn't the raptor also ridiculously expensive, like close to $50k? Give me an old school GM truck and $50k and I bet I could make something way cooler than the silverado concept or the raptor!

Steve
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Base is around 39K
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
14x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 14x4 »

It does sort of seem like just an appearance package (besides the lift), but it is a concept so there's still hope.

Whatever... I'll probably have a Wrangler by the time this comes out. :lol:
03 ZR5. 4-Linked Dana 44
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

14x4 wrote:...........Whatever... I'll probably have a Wrangler by the time this comes out. :lol:
I hope your pockets are deep. Turning a TJ or a JK into a decent DD/trail rig will make 50K look like "walking around" money. :roflmao:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
14x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 14x4 »

F9K9 wrote:
14x4 wrote:...........Whatever... I'll probably have a Wrangler by the time this comes out. :lol:
I hope your pockets are deep. Turning a TJ or a JK into a decent DD/trail rig will make 50K look like "walking around" money. :roflmao:
Killin' my dreams. :cry:
03 ZR5. 4-Linked Dana 44
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

14x4 wrote:.........Killin' my dreams. :cry:
I don't mean to. You just need to research your arse off before embarking on that endeavor.

You need to get all your goals firmed up before beginning. A build is truly never done. Here is an interesting thread on a Wrangler build up and he is thinking 85K at the beginning of the thread.

Make up you mind on what end result that you want and be realistic. Do it once right. Don't do a BB (budget boost) to fit 31s and then decide you want 33s. Then it snowballs. :lol:

I had roughly 3K in this.....

And I have probably 50K in this TJ........

14x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 14x4 »

F9K9 wrote: Image

That 50 grand is including the price of the actual vehicle, right? :lol:
03 ZR5. 4-Linked Dana 44
border man
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by border man »

F9K9 wrote:

The truly sad part is that in the end, it's only another Dodge!!! :poke:
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

14x4 wrote:......That 50 grand is including the price of the actual vehicle, right? :lol:
Yeah and I may have over estimated but, I really don't want to sit down and add it all up. I would get way to depressed. I did do the same hgt lift 2x because I didn't research enough and I tried to "cheap" out the first time. :lol:
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Well Reed, at least you wheel your $50k toy. I can't stand seeing really nice exotic cars with old men driving them 20 mph down the road or huge lifted chromed out trucks with 44's with owners that are afraid to get dirt on it! If your gonna spend that kind of money, why not enjoy what the vehicle is capable of!

Steve
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

killian96ss wrote:......huge lifted chromed out trucks with 44's with owners that are afraid to get dirt on it!............
dem are commonly referred to as "MALL CRAWLERS :lol: :lol: :roflmao:
14x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 14x4 »

F9K9 wrote:
killian96ss wrote:......huge lifted chromed out trucks with 44's with owners that are afraid to get dirt on it!............
dem are commonly referred to as "MALL CRAWLERS :lol: :lol: :roflmao:

I need to get off-road more. I'm afraid others are going to think my rig is a mall crawler! lol
03 ZR5. 4-Linked Dana 44
jedthrocornpone
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by jedthrocornpone »

not to jump off topic again but I saw a Raptor parked in the lot @ costoco the other day with the sticker still in the widow 54K half ton YIKES! I understand but, I just don't get it.
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

I knew they were way overpriced! $54k for an off road F150 is just ridiculous! :crazy:

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The Dodge Ram PowerWagon is not far behind. Base is just under $40k , looks like the average with options runs closer to $52k though.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
border man
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by border man »

HenryJ wrote:The Dodge Ram PowerWagon is not far behind. Base is just under $40k , looks like the average with options runs closer to $52k though.
I was going to mention those. We added several Power Wagons to our fleet this year. They really are nice trucks. The beefed up suspension, built in winch, and HEMI make for a nice 10 hour shift. The downside is that it's another DODGE with a cheap interior.... Going back to the Silverado, I was issued a brand new 2009 3/4 ton Diesel this year. Well tonight while cutting a road (looking for foot prints) I get this annoying thump, thump, thump coming from the left front wheel area. I get out to investigate and find that the rear-most bolt holding the lower control arm had broken. The remaining half was sticking out and making contact with the half shaft.... This truck has only 12,000 miles and I baby the hell out of it. Seems that the front end is the weak link in our GM fleet, as this is not the first. Several of our 2003 and 2004 chevys also lost front wheels when we got them. It seems that GM cuts costs by sharing components between the 1/2 ton and 3/4 trucks. At least it seems that way to me when I look at our tahoes and trucks side-x-side.