Tried out my winch today

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Tried out my winch today

Post by fallvitals »

A buddy and I decided at 8:30am to head out today to try out my new winch. He was on his ATV and I my Crew Cab of course. First we crossed a water hole that was a bit deeper then I thought, I opened the door while crossing and noticed the water was getting ready to cover the step bars and I felt the truck go deeper, so gunned it a little to get out faster so no water seeped int othe cab.

Climbed some steep old roads that were full or footbacl sized rocks, then down the same type of hill. Trail got really narrow and overgrown with a few water/mud crossing. Had no probelm till a slight down hill run into a water hole (rock bottom) with steep climb. I was in 4 hi. I started up and my back tires hung up and spun. Got another shot, same thing, 4lo started up stopped rocked the wheel left to right and climbed up.

Went so far to a locked gate (active coal mine), turned around back out and found a new road. Coming up a grade to a flat spot with a mud hole, I gunned it a bit too hard... was having fun rooster tailing some mud and didn't notice what was apperantly a good sized dip infront of me. I buried the ront skid plate into it and it sounded like something in the back did as well, lol. My buddy scolded me, lol, told me to take it easier.

From there we went on another road, it would be the nastiest to this point but wasnt too bad. It got narrow, slightly rutted in spot, dirt and slightly moist. going up a steeper portion of it there was a small turn in the road with a bid stick sticking out. My truck got stopped there. I backed up a few times, no good. Probably coulda gave it hell and went up but was afriad of the stick scratching my truck, so I decided it was a good time to try out the winch.

Got it rigged up then came two ATVers up the road, we had em blocked, we chatted, and decided the road ahead of us was a bad choice, they said thats where the big jacked up trucks would go into some narly mud holes and not make it out, lol. Decided to take the left road infront of us. Anyways, winched myself so far and still couldnt go, so picked another tree and winched myself the rest of the way up. That sucker drains the battery fast, i winched for a few seconds and stopped. and repeated. but it got me out and worked.
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Re: Tried out my winch today

Post by fallvitals »

Then we took the road left. Went down to a nasty rutted mud hole with steep climb. I was in 4lo, couldnt climbed out, Just spun. My buddy said the front tires were doing nothing. Back up tried again. Nothing. Backup and put it in 4lo again to be sure. Was heavy with the stupid pedal, Got most of the way up, then back tires spun like crazy, front tires NOTHING. But just stayed on it and got out. In 4lo... I wouldnt have had a problem with as far of it as I was at that point.

Tried the 2hi/4lo on a slight grade again. 2hi wouldnt go anywhere, 4lo climbed it! And I felt it the power differance and heard it kick in while engaging it. That seriously has me worried..? Any ideas?

Got so far up, buddy got out of sight, and there was a fork in the road. I thought I heard him holler from the low road. Got about 90 yards down and discovered a fallen tree in the road! And then discovered my awesome ATs and my front tires werent gonna let me get out of there. My buddy showed up, and we decided to have him try and pull me out with his King Quad. Shockingly it worked, very well. That woulda been a hell of a youtube video.

And there just has to be somehting amiss with my front drive.... They never spun once while my buddy was watching.

Started down the hill, there was a big rock in the road, apperantly my rear passanger tire was about 6" in the air at one point, my buddy told me. I took these pictures with my iphone.

Then we rolled out of there, I forgot to mention I aired down to 18psi after the first rocky hill climb, then aired back up when done with my MV50. Took a while but it got the job done. All in all a fun day. Which his camera wasnt dead, but a little concerned about my 4wd... I mean I know its working,, but it doesnt seem to have any power really?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Sounds like you had fun. Keep in mind that the front is not locked. Only one side will have power. If you can not move the front axle may not engage. It is best to shift to 4x4 before you need it and move a little to make sure it all engages.
With the narrow tires you can air down quite a way. That said, I have found that 20-25 lbs does all that I need thus far.
That Iphone takes some pretty fair photos. I'm impressed.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Actually those pictures are pretty nasty. The iPhone, when outside in good light conditions takes pictures sometimes that are as high in quality as some cameras, imho.

All of my winch install pictures where with my iphone actually. Like this one for example:

Yeah, I know about engaging it before needing, if if you can't move, its more then likely too late. I was already in 4lo for those moments when I wasnt going any where, and when i shifted out and back in I still could move back and forth. Just not over that hill at that moment :lol:

That said, i figured the front isnt locking (what type of IFS is it exactly?) but neither tire spun, according to my buddy... but I had lots of mud thrown up into the passanger door/seat (windows down) vs the drivers side... So im thinking it did at some points... but im not sure,,, I can't do it all, and im sure he wasnt as concerned as I was, lol.

I can't recall if I said what PSI i aired down to, It was 18. I throught about 15 but figured that was enough. They really didnt look all that low once aired down. Thought that was weird.

Yeah, Had a good bit of fun. I can't beleive I got all stupid wit hthe gas and and plowed the front end infrot the ground, followed by the back end, lol. I really would like to get a set of mud terrains, but i cant justify $1k+ for that and cheap rims for tires I wont use but only when offroading. which isnt all that often.

Though seeing my buddy on his King Quad made me wanna ditch the Crew Cab and get a ATV for offroading... :?:

Maybe after I get this sucker paid off in a few months Ill do just that. Id already have it paid off but I keep doing stupid stuff like buying a winch and stuff for it, easy 1K there... deep sea fishing plans for the beach next month (Awesome!) and gun stuff.... i need to get stuff paid off, lol.