My Tahoe duels are to Loud, help

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

Jim

My Tahoe duels are to Loud, help

Post by Jim »

Hello,
I've been struggling with my Tahoe ever since I put the SLP cat back system on, it's too loud. I tried a Car Chemistry 3" insert in the intermediate pipe before the muffler. It helped a little but was still to loud.
After doing many searches and finding people with Tahoes and Suburbans finding the Flowmaster 70 big block possibly too quiet I figured that would be the ticket.
It's on now but still has a deep rumble at low RPMs quieter inside than before but louder outside.
I'm considering putting the Car Chemistry insert back in with the Flowmaster.
I'm a bit paranoid about causing some kind of heat build up from the minimal restriction the insert may create and maybe screwing up the cats.
Anybody able to shed some light my concern?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Car-Chem ... ccessories
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: My Tahoe duels are to Loud, help

Post by HenryJ »

I ran into a similar situation on my old truck.
My solution was to add a Supertrapp exhaust tip. That allows me to add or subtract discs to tailor the sound and back pressure. The discs once heated actually create a radial draw and scavenge exhaust gases.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Jim

Post by Jim »

Do you have any comments on the 3" Car Chemistry insert. I tried Wicked Flow resonated tips but they made it deeper. I also used the 2.5" Car Chemistry inserts at the tips and it seemed to cause the system to get real hot.
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I don't have any experience with them, sorry. My local shop has little 8" glass packs that they add to the tail pipes to tone things down. Those are all that I am familiar with.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Does your Tahoe have true dual exhaust (2 cats, 2 mufflers)? If so an x pipe will smooth out the exhaust tone and help build more hp & tq. Those CC inserts are designed to be installed into aftermarket header collectors. They are mainly used on race vehicles that don't run mufflers. They help meet db requirements at the track.

Steve
Jim

Post by Jim »

killian96ss wrote:Does your Tahoe have true dual exhaust (2 cats, 2 mufflers)? If so an x pipe will smooth out the exhaust tone and help build more hp & tq. Those CC inserts are designed to be installed into aftermarket header collectors. They are mainly used on race vehicles that don't run mufflers. They help meet db requirements at the track.

Steve
2 cats into a Y, 3" pipe then into the muffler, no room for an x pipe I think I'm going to have the shop put the insert in tomorrow and see what it does.
It really helped with the SLP muffler, no power loss but alot quieter, I didn't think I'd need it with the 5 chamber Flowmaster.
The single 3" insert is rated 400 CID up to 350HP. Tahoe is a 5.3 w/ 285HP
Best Regards, Jim
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Flowmaster also makes a small inline resonator that is installed before the muffler to mellow out the exhaust tone. I had one on my cc, and it made a noticeable difference. Do you have headers on your Tahoe? You will need headers with 3" collectors in order to install a set of those inserts.

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

killian96ss wrote:... You will need headers with 3" collectors in order to install a set of those inserts.
Jim wrote:...2 cats into a Y, 3" pipe then into the muffler...
By now we should hear back from him on how it sounds.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Jim

Post by Jim »

HenryJ wrote:
killian96ss wrote:... You will need headers with 3" collectors in order to install a set of those inserts.
Jim wrote:...2 cats into a Y, 3" pipe then into the muffler...
By now we should hear back from him on how it sounds.
It fits in the 3" intermediate pipe right before the muffler.
I'll let you know how it sounds, I love the flowmaster's sort of tinny sound but at certain RPM all I hear is a deep growl drowning it out.
Best Regards, Jim
Jim

Post by Jim »

Insert is in and sounds real nice almost all the rumble is gone through most RPM ranges. I haven't noticed any power loss.

Bravada broke down today on my daughter on her way home from college 2 hrs into the 3.5 hr trip it sounds like the engine shut off while driving around 45 in a high way construction zone. air bag light came on + other dash lights came on. pulled to the side of the road. Restarted fine but won't go over 5 mph bucks and kicks but idles fine. The first class towing outfit I called will check it out Monday. I'm hopeing coil or something simple. I know my Tahoe sounds good I just drove it 3 hrs to pick her up.
http://www.merchantcircle.com/business/ ... re/gallery
Best Regards, Jim