Winching question

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Winching question

Post by fallvitals »

I think I have a good grasp on how to rig the winch when needed and such... my question comes to pulling.

Im sure I read you dont wanna try and drive while winching, incase the vehicle slips and rolls back and puts a heavy load on the cable.

So how do you properly do it?

heres how I winched myself out the only time I have done it so far.

Picked good tree,
tree stap around it,
pulled cable to it *about 3/4 total length worth*,
clevis to secure cable to treestrap.
Slowly took the slack up trying to spool it in correctly.
With a little tension put the line dampener on.
Got in truck, shifted to neutral, with foot on brake put more tension on cable then took foot off brake.

Form this point I was winching, I stayed in neatural revving the engine at about 1500 rpm to keep power flowing to battery, winched for 5 seconds, rested for 10 seconds. I didnt try to drive it during this time.

Did I do it correctly? I kinda didnt like the idea of being in neutral incase the line broke or something..
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Winching question

Post by HenryJ »

Sounds good to me. I think the circumstances will determine the method. I will admit to having mine in gear. If you select second gear it will start in second gear. That may minimize wheel spin in a low traction pull. I let mine idle, but I do know that my alternator will put out 100 amps at idle speed. I do keep all the accessories other than the winch off.
When I feel the truck getting traction I let off the winch , stop and disconnect or spool up the winch.

On a static recovery, be sure to use the parking brake so you do not over load the transmissions parking pawl.

There are some good Youtube videos on winching techniques. Worth a little search and watch. Some of them are helpful. Others good learning lessons on what not to do.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK