Had to add another toy to the garage!

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Had to add another toy to the garage!

Post by green02crew »

2007 Kawasaki Ninja 500. Found a decent deal on one. Had 2,500 miles on it and picked it up for $2k. Let the mods begin. Any suggestions?? Late in the season but when you find a deal its not always the best time.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Re: Had to add another toy to the garage!

Post by fallvitals »

Yesterday I was the first person to come across a women who payed down her cruiser sport bike in a curve. Big laceration to her knee and roadrash to her hands. Be careful.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

You know that we need a picture! What color?

Time for gear. What size are you? I'll keep an eye open. A nice leather riding jacket and helmet are first on the list. I wear tactical / duty boots for a little ankle protection.
Sarcasmo wrote:1 - for better driving at low RPM try the FOG mod (ex-500.com)
2 - upgrade your tires for MUCH better handling
3 - add stiffer fork springs to reduce dive during stopping
4 - add longer dog bones to improve the geometry

All the above can be done for a few hundred dollars (FOG mod is free) and they do make the bike more fun. The don't however, make it faster.
Wiki Ninja page

The power is what it is. Don't waste time and money trying to build that up. Be happy and ride the heck out of it.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Its a color called "sunburst" Its yellow(ish) in the sun and orange(ish) in the shade. Strange color. But its bright and visible which is what I was going for. Looks like a sport bike but rides like an enduro. It sits more straight up and a very comfortable ride. The power output of the 500, even though its not fuel injected, is more than adequate. So far I am very pleased with it. I picked up a helmet (very lacking of features but works) and riding jacket at a local shop. The jacket isn't leather, I wish it was, but is nylon with built in pads, shoulders elbows back etc. I'm thinking about setting up blue-tooth for inside the helmet for when riding I can still make and accept calls if necessary. I've already added a small clock to the dash so I know just how late I'm running because I took the long way to work :lol:

I think I'll work on that airbox mod for next summer, seems like a winner to me!
I'll be adding a fuel filter for sure and many other good mods on the wiki page, thanks for pointing it out!

Here is a factory picture, as it currently doesn't look any different than factory:
Attachments
2006-kawasaki-ninja-500r-7_800x0w.jpg
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Bumble Bee! Looks like a great commuter.

Rumormill has it that the Scala Rider Q2 is the way to go for bluetooth. Lots of junk stuff out there, be careful. I am not quite there yet. but may need some soon.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
border man
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by border man »

HenryJ wrote:Bumble Bee! Looks like a great commuter.

Rumormill has it that the Scala Rider Q2 is the way to go for bluetooth. Lots of junk stuff out there, be careful. I am not quite there yet. but may need some soon.
I can vouch for the Scala Q2. I use it all the time when out on the Harley. I can talk on the phone clearly up to about 70mph before it gets bad (keep in mind I'm a on a loud harley with no fairing). The bike to bike is by far the best reason to buy it. My sis/brother in law and I had excellent comms with each other (up to 1/2 mile apart) on a bike trip last year from NM to CA....
[size=75]I didn't do it, it was already like that when I got it.[/size]
border man
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by border man »

Cool bike, the problem with small bikes is that soon you'll wanna upgrade to a bigger one. Double expense....
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

border man wrote:Cool bike, the problem with small bikes is that soon you'll wanna upgrade to a bigger one. Double expense....
Unless that was the plan all along and your wife ends up riding the smaller bike ;)

Good to hear positive reviews on the Scala Q2. That may be on the radar as a purchase soon.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
border man
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by border man »

HenryJ wrote: Good to hear positive reviews on the Scala Q2. That may be on the radar as a purchase soon.
I you decide to drop the hammer on these, look for the buddy set (2 Q2s in the box) they are much cheaper this way. Also make sure they have the newer updated boom mikes (these have a 3.5MM plug on them so that you hook up your MP3/iPod).
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

border man wrote:...make sure they have the newer updated boom mikes (these have a 3.5MM plug on them so that you hook up your MP3/iPod).
That sounds good. Thanks! :thumb:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Good advice, I was looking for a way to integrate my iPod!
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Well since it's been getting cold and snow is starting to fly it was time to store the bike. But of course I can't just park it without playing.

Changed the plugs.
Oil change w/ full synthetics.
FOG mod as suggested by HenryJ.
K&N air filter.
Added fuel filter.
Sylvania Silverstar headlight and aimed it properly as stock was at the ground.
Drained the carbs of fuel, added stabilizer to the tank, lubed the chain and took the battery out checking fluid level and putting on a trickle charge and lifted the bike onto the center stand w/ a cover.

On to the questions:
Is the trickle charge good for the season? Its a "battery tender" type charger and I don't have plans to take it off unless it may do more harm than good. I lost an ATV battery already from improper maintenance or maybe just a cheap battery.
Any other things people do to get them ready for winter?
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

You are way ahead of me! My bikes are all on battery tenders. The new ones are smart and should do no harm left alone all winter. I did fill with ethanol free fuel. I should probably run the out of fuel too.

I totally forgot to update that I did get a pair of the Scala Q2 bluetooth head sets. Our anniversary gift to each other. They work great. Thanks for the recommendation :rock:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

I feel good about being more prepared than you as I can't think of any other scenario this would happen! haha. That's good news on the bluetooth. I am working on convincing a buddy to split a pair with me. We'll see how that goes.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
riceburnr2005
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by riceburnr2005 »

only add dog bones if you plan on drag racing!! the lowered ride height will affect your handling dramatically if you plan on getting low in the twisties. first thing i did to my bike was go for a new intake filter as well as a slip on exhaust. I personally went with a bmc race filter and jardine gp1 exhaust. then after that your gonna want a power commander to tune your A/F ratios. naturally this setup with the stock ecu is gonna make you go rich, so you need the tuner. then you can look into gearing. going -1 in the front and +2 in the rear is a real common mod. This of course is going to effect your speedo, so then you'll need a speedohealer. Bike parts arent cheap, and learn how to do your own maintenance...otherwise have fun!! ive had my 2007 Suzuki GSXR 600 since i brought it brand new...
Attachments
l_79815202839ab6c0cab3ea0256911400.jpg
U.S. Marines
2003 CC LS, indigo blue, Spectre Cold Air, OBX throttle body spacer, descreened MAF, hunter bull bar, BAJA off road lights, 15x7 Crager soft 8 wheels, 31x10.50x15 Goodyear Wrangler Authority tires, cranked TB's, Daystar 2 inch shackles, 2" PA body lift, 1.5 inch spacers in the rear, Access TonnoSport Tonneau cover, reese hitch, carbon fiber front chevy badge, Lund bug deflector, roof rack from a blazer, Kenwood CD player, JVC 6 1/2 speakers.
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

All that sounds great except that its carbureted. So nothing would apply. I tuned the A/F ratios by tuning the carbs and replacing the air filter. Gearing will remain the same as it is a fun commuter 500cc not a race machine. Although some may have raced them as they're light and agile. I'm not planning on dog bones as I am comfortable with the way it feels currently. A slip on exhaust is pricey and with this setup the gains are minimal.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
riceburnr2005
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by riceburnr2005 »

haha oops!! I totally forgot it was carbureted...my bad anyways yea i see what your sayin...the only reason i got a slip on was for the sound..i paid 150 bucks for it surprisingly..
U.S. Marines
2003 CC LS, indigo blue, Spectre Cold Air, OBX throttle body spacer, descreened MAF, hunter bull bar, BAJA off road lights, 15x7 Crager soft 8 wheels, 31x10.50x15 Goodyear Wrangler Authority tires, cranked TB's, Daystar 2 inch shackles, 2" PA body lift, 1.5 inch spacers in the rear, Access TonnoSport Tonneau cover, reese hitch, carbon fiber front chevy badge, Lund bug deflector, roof rack from a blazer, Kenwood CD player, JVC 6 1/2 speakers.
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Since its winter and no riding can be reasonably had around here I've looked into comfort mods for summer. I've looked at some seats online like Corbin but the prices are at a premium. Has anyone here seen or had good luck with this site:

http://www.greatdaytoride.com/

He takes the stock seat and adds gel to it and reshapes it for the individual. Interesting idea and prices seem much better than aftermarket seats at a cool $329 for my bike. I would be more willing to go with this mod as around $100 plus shipping. Emailed him with questions and waiting on a response!
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Ok little review for the Scala Q2. I tried it out on my snowmobile this weekend. The snowmachine is louder making it difficult to hear. I have the volume turned up all the way and if the person is soft spoken, good luck. Ear pieces fit well in the helmet, depending on the design. Mine doesn't work as well as my parents. Battery life is exceptional! Lasted the weekend on one charge, more than I can say for my cell phone. This is while playing music majority of the time, which I don't believe would use much if any battery from the unit. Calls are clear and I'm told by people on the other end they can't tell I'm riding. Buttons are difficult to hit with large gloves. All in all, better for a motorcycle but still easy to use during winter months. I'm looking to purchase another so the girl can yell at me for whatever improper driving I'm doing at the time.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
nebby58
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by nebby58 »

The new Can-Am spyders are really stable and fun to drive. If you have a Can-Am dealer in the area, they usually let you test drive them.
"It says the install time is only a half an hour"-me
"Better add three more on top of that"-family
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

They look pretty cool. Very similar to their Rev chassis snowmobiles! But a pricey toy as well.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
nebby58
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by nebby58 »

Yep. Gotta buy the leftovers from the last model year to get a deal. They are very fun to drive because you don't have to worry about falling on them.
"It says the install time is only a half an hour"-me
"Better add three more on top of that"-family