Snow, Ice and Short Wheelbases.

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Snow, Ice and Short Wheelbases.

Post by fallvitals »

rlrnr53 wrote:About 6 in. on the ground, another 2 last night, and expect more tonight. I'm the Scrooge here, I had to work today because of the snow. Bah Humbug to the snow.

Ditto. I'm the UPS guy, Christmas sucks any more because of my job, plus the snow just made it that much more fun. Last Thursday when the big snow came, they made us work. Took over two hours to get from charleston to Gassaway. I did like 20 stops in Gassaway then turned around and left. Still got 8 hours that day! Lol.

Merry CHristmas you all.

Btw, love your collection of rides Reed. Wwhenever you decide to let go of that Heep, call me first! I know your not letting it go any time soon, but FYI.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Re: Merry Christmas

Post by F9K9 »

fallvitals wrote:..........Btw, love your collection of rides Reed. Whenever you decide to let go of that Heep, call me first! I know your not letting it go any time soon, but FYI.
Not something you want to drive in snow or ice. It'll swap ends in a millisecond! Would of taken the Grand Cherokee last night, due to it's 20 mpg but, it's up on ramps awaiting a fuel filter replacement. The CC performed just fine on the solid ice inclines going to her Dad's place.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Re: Merry Christmas

Post by fallvitals »

I want a lifted jeep for fun. But it's doesn't do well in ice/snow? Why's that? I recall reading in Colorado? Some years ago when a bad winter shut everything down and soccer moms thought they could go anywhere in a 4x4 made matters worst. A offroad club which was mainly wranglers started conveys helping folks and what not. Atleast what little I do recall reading of it.

What I really need is to sell my jet ski and get a atv to offroad with. I'm afraid of going places or tearing up my crew when I do go. Or scratching the heck out of it.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Re: Snow, Ice and Short Wheelbases.

Post by F9K9 »

You just need to be a "johnny on the spot" with a swb rig. You can't afford to screw around with looking for radio stations, messing with your cell phone or looking at the short skirt in a car passing you when operating at speeds or on slick surfaces. Our CCs have a 122.9-inch wheelbase while the Jeep TJ models, like mine, have a 93.4 inch wheel base. Things just happen to go quicker when, it comes to a shorter wheel base and the reaction times are greatly reduced. Throw in some 5.13 gears (compared to our 3.73s) and even a minor blip on the gas/skinny pedal breaks things loose quickly.

It is my thought that a large skinny (pizza cutter) tire would do better in this situation.

I am just warning you that a SWB rig, like my Rubicon, needs 100% of your attention or you end up in trouble quickly.

Bottom line is, I will call you when, I decide to put it up for sale but, it will not be budget friendly. No heavily modded rig gets anything near what was invested. I am close by and hopefully for your sake, I will be desperate to unload it and the economy will be in better shape. :thumb:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

That makes sence. Guess that's why you hear about lots of people rolling em on paved roads. I saw one personally one it's side in a wide turn on the interstate when I was young.

That's why I want to buy a modded jeep, resale. Don't wanna sound like a jerk saying that but we all know it sadly is the truth. And I know you did it all right.

When I got my crew cab, I found a jeep, lifted, 35s I think, even had a snorkel. A daily driver with 55k miles for $12k in Ashland.

That's just a couple grand more then I paid for the crew. What held me back from seriously looking into it was there's no bed (heck my crew might as well not have one as short as it is) and I don't know how hard it was rode. But mainly the bed thing did.... I kinda wish I had got it now and then a better s10 with full bed.
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Jeeps remind me of the old small broncos. I personally saw two of those put on their sides. One on dry pavement by a woman swerving around a pothole. The other by a little czech man swerving to miss a neighbor's chicken in the gravel road. Upon talking with him later he informed me next time he was gonna make sure he just ran over the d**m chicken in his broken czech accent. Interestingly enough in both instances the vehicles just laid over and did not roll even though speeds were above 45 mph in both instances.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

roadrunner wrote:.........Interestingly enough in both instances the vehicles just laid over and did not roll even though speeds were above 45 mph in both instances.
Well, things need to be somewhat rounded to roll......lol. Heepers use the term, "flop" for going over on the side. A beefed up roll cage was one of my earlier mods to make the off road seats and safety harnesses a tad more effective. How, I haven't flopped mine, off road, is a mystery to me especially, with my luck.

I just knew that we we going to flop on an obstacle this past fall. I announced to the future wife, as calmly as I could, that we're going to flop. She had already grabbed her shoulder straps and simply said "that figures"! I tossed it in reverse and was able to avert the imminent flop. Gotta give my spotter complete credit for avoiding that flop.

Yeah, I can see the 1st generation (early Broncos or EB) Broncos having the SWB issues. I only wish that I would have waited to find a deal on an LJ or long wheelbase Rubicon. Would have saved a lot of headaches.