My work shop

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

My work shop

Post by fallvitals »

Iv been working on this for a while now, pretty much done. And put A LOT more money into it then I first figured. The garage consists of 3 bays. The work shop, 8'x20' I am showing below. A middle bay, which has a garage door. Its slightly wider. And without explaining in detail my uncle has the last bay, its the widest. Also a door is being put up to seperate his side from my side. I currently have a piece of carpet up as a "door" to keep the heat in my workshop temporarly, gonna put a door up also. Family...

Anyways, This garage was something that was ready to be torn down. My grandmother bought the property (I rent it) put a new roof on the garage, and had a jackleg also frame up the inside. Most of the framing isnt secured and can be pushed out from the wall. Nice.

First thing was rewiring it. Only thing I ever wired before, aside from electronic stuff, not household stuff, was a ceiling fan. Dad gave me a run down, I found some diagrams then went at it. Ended up running about 1,100 feet of 12/2 in all 3 bays. More outlets then will ever be needed, and plenty of light.

The power comes from the breaker in the house, the 12/2 coming in wasnt grounded. And buried in no conduit. I dug a ditch and ran new 10/2 from the house to garage in pvc conduit. Also ran coxial cable for a tv.

Old fuse box.

Work shop with a couple boxes installed.

3 2x4 t8 lights in the bay.
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Re: My work shop

Post by fallvitals »

My uncle spraying foam insulation, that was part of him having the last bay.

I got a real computer desk and moved my old "computer desk" (cabinet and counter top) in for a work bench till I get some built. But im still keeping that for my "archery bench".

You can see the new breaker box on the wall.

Scratch n' dent 9 cubic foot freezer on its own breaker.

R30 insulation on the ceiling, 10" thick stuff.

First of the pegboard. My uncle got this for free from a pawn shop that was throwing it out. And its heavy duty stuff, no that cheap stuff Lowes sells.

OSB board put up, and 2 coats of oil based primer. The primer alone makes a huge differance in brightness!

2 coats of oil primers followed by 2 coats of latex paint sprayed on with a 18 dollar harbor freight spray gun. Worked pretty well! Plus OSB board ceiling. Did ALL THAT myself. That was a b****.

Layed down some cheap $18 "outdoor rug" from Lowes.

Was gonna put it all the way to the outside wall, but water leaks throug hthe concreate at the door, plus ill use that area to cut/drill stuff so I dont get shavings on the carpet.

Thats about it. Was gonna get a propane forced air heater today but decided to get a 1500 watt tower ceramic heater... I jsut dont liek the idea of a propane heater in the garage. but im sure it would do a better job, but cost a lot. Need a window AC unit for summer. Also picked up a miter saw and circular saw today. Im proud of it. Someday Ill get a nicer one through :)
Last edited by fallvitals on Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Looks like a very nice space. The white just about doubled the size of the room.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Really nice. I am getting closer to having a garage of my own too!! :thumb:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
rlrnr53
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by rlrnr53 »

You'll thank yourself many times over that you have this space. I have a full basement with a garage in it, but can't hardly move in any of it for the stored stuff.
Last edited by rlrnr53 on Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
[size=75]Mitch
2001 Polo Green Metallic, no mods,(can't afford any)[/size]
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Yea, I been wanting to build a shed for years so I can finish the basement walls into a nice game room, takes time, money, planning. May not get it done till I retire!
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]