The new big blue toy

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

The new big blue toy

Post by fallvitals »

Heres my new 2010 Yamaha Grizzly 700fi with Power Steering (EPS). I didn't plan on getting one for a few months more, but it was a heck of a deal. Got it Saturday, got it muddy Sunday. Planning on going back out this weekend. Should have my own trailer in a few weeks. Im bumming for now, which I hate, I planned on buying the trailer first actually, lol.

In the second bay of my Garage.

A coworker's 08 750 kingquad. My buddy has this very same ATV. I really like that he has a walmart waterproof box strapped to his front cargo rack to put his gps in. I think im gonna do the same thing. He even has a powercord coming out of it going to the power outlet below it.

Two Co-Workers of mine overlooking Dupont plant in the fantastic chemical valley that is my home :roll:
rlrnr53
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: The new big blue toy

Post by rlrnr53 »

Nice, although I prefer a side by side and it's steering wheel and roll cage.
[size=75]Mitch
2001 Polo Green Metallic, no mods,(can't afford any)[/size]
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Uh-oh! Now looks like you need more garage space!
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Looks like a pretty sweet toy!
Are you going to set it up to hunt? Will it pull the trailer it is hauled on?

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

There's never enough garage room! I'm not sure where I'm gonna put my trailer. With the Atv in there, I can still move around, if I get that pegboard up this spring and move things around, even more room. But I planned on storing the Atv on the trailer and putting em in the garage. I'm not sure how that will work. I think it will leave me with zero room in that bay...

Set it up to hunt, what do you mean? Like gun rack? I'm not sure how much I'll use it for hunting. If I do I think it'll be mainly putting gear out, and retrieving. Maybe rising in to within a couple hundred yards of a spot. And of course taking out the game.

Yup, she can pull that trailer if I wanted. There's a spot to put a ball on it stock. If I did, I'd buy the bolt on 2" receiver instead. It will pull 1000+ pounds, yamaha says.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Sounds good. You can haul the stand, or blind in and all your gear on the trailer pulled by the blue ox. Then load the game and stuff on to haul it all out again.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

I see a lift and bigger tires. Those are fun rigs. I have a Honda Foreman which recently was decked out with all LED lights, 3k lb winch, 2" lift, 26" ITP Mud Lites and some nice diamond plate underarmor. I love every mod especially for the use I put it to. Depending on what kind of riding you'll do and where, that is a capable sized rig. Plenty of power to turn large tires!
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

I dont know about all that lifting, The first things I wanna do is install a 3k lb Viper Winch with 3/16" Amsteele Synthetic rope. ($250 with mounting plate, $190 with steel cable). And a full set of aluminum Skids ($400ish). And some kinda bag/box to haul gear in. I dont want to mod this thing to death. I just bought it to have fun on. I think its pretty capable stock. I have read about CV issues with larger tires on these rigs... but then again when doesn't bigger rubber cause CV issues? lol.

It has pretty good ground clearance stock, 11.8". In the picture above, those are two kind quads, the red one set the lowest. He said he bottomed out on a trail we were on. And so did the taller green Kingquad 750 (my grizzly has 1.5" more ground clearance then his stock). But I didn't bottom out any where. But we werent doing any thing extreme either. You can put a few more "clicks" into the shocks make it higher, but itll be stiffer and act more top heavy.

Yeah ill definantly use it to do all that Brule, I dont know about taking a 5x8 trailer through the woods though... lol. through the field and large trails yes,, but nothing narrow and rough.

Heading out in the morning for some more riding.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

It is all good if, you like the ATVs and side x sides. I just never comprehended it all. You can't get a decent used atv for 2K, let alone, drive it to work or use it as parts rig. My XJ cost 2K and it hauled me to work and on trails. A side by side, when decked out. will cost over 11-13K and my Rubi cost that.
I have to admit that I was forced to ride them when on the job and I saw some stupid mistakes seriously injure several over zealous national guardsmen and state troopers.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

I justify it to the other half by using it to "plow" the driveway. Makes a fun weekend rig during the summer though for some real thrashing! You would be amazed the places they really go. There aren't many trails around here so if you have lots of land they're great, if not, get used to doing circles.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

I respect that opinion Reed. I bet the guys you saw get hurt, and most all others, were powered by testosterone filled stupidity. I hope I'm smart enough to realize my limits. I think I am. I'm not a balls to the wall kinda guy. Though I did jump it a few times this weekend on a uphill road that was cut perfectly for it.

This thing is SHOCKING at where it will go in 2wd alone. Places I would never even dream of taking a jeep like yours. Yesterday I went to where I hunt Molly moochers. (morels). In my crew it takes an hour to drive the 5 miles to it. We did it in less then 15 minutes iirc. I could do it faster in my truck, but not gonna beat it to death. I wanted new, I didn't want to buy something someone had raped. And in the Atv used market, I bought there's many that haven't.

I'm happy with it, it's making some noises, but according to grizzly Mforums it's normal during break in. I'll have 100 miles on it next weekend, then it'll be ready to go in for it's first service (adjust valves).

I am lucky to have LOTS of places to ride here. Just a short trailer ride away. The Hatfield McCoy trail is less then half an hour away. That's suppose to be the #1 rates Atv trail on the east coast I think. If I didn't have all these places to rise, I wouldn't have gotten it.

Plus I love I do t have to worry about breaking my s10 offroDing, or something dumb with a dedicated go any where offroad machine... Now for a winch and full skids... Lol.
border man
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by border man »

Is it an automatic or a clutch-less shift?? We have one here at work that we call "ole faithfull". That thing has taken very serious abuse and it keeps going. I'm currently assigned to an ATV unit at night (it gets COLD in the desert at night) and we use Honda Rincon 660s. Reed is right, many a rider getting badly hurt due to bad riding....
[size=75]I didn't do it, it was already like that when I got it.[/size]
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

I forgot to answer, it's a automatic with park.

Here's a video from today's ride. My buddy was filming, he went first and pushed all the ice. Doesn't look so deep on video but it seemed deeper!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHaMGSs3zbc

I also twisted the frame on his kingquad some today pulling him out of a hole. I'll post pics later. He put the strap around his brushguard, I think the frame woulda been a better idea? Anyways some easy pulls didn't get it. So we started giving it a little slack. No go. Finally a lot of slack got it going. Made a loud pop, but he was out. Looking at it after, we noticed one aide of the brush guard pulled out, and plastic trim pulled off that wouldn't go back on....

He said he shoulda bought a winch instead of bushguard, lol. That woulda stopped that from happening. Hindsight, it would been Bette to get rear to rear, and pull him backwards out.... Better anchor points that way....
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I'm sure that they make recovery straps for the ATV crowd. They purposely stretch so a lot of the shock is eliminated using the "giving it slack and running at it" method.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

I'm sure they do too, if not, I have 2 or 3 recovery straps in my truck. (plus a tree saver, clevises, snatch blocks, etc for my winch). He just had a tow strap with metal hooks, which as soon as I saw that I saw the video on YouTube of that s10 with the strap going through the rear window...

But it was long, we put the strap through the rear two frame poles on mine, and he put it on the brushguard of his and had the hooks hook to each other (I paid little attention to where he did his, after all it his toy. I think going directly to the frame may have been better but idk.

I explained to him when I got my winch tow straps vs recovery, but he's the kinda guy that just seems to roll with whatever he already has or is most convenient to get. Now that you have me thinking, ti felt no bounce to it like recovery straps get.

Here soon I'm gonna get a hardbox for the back of mine, and throw in a couple of my recovery straps and clevesis atleast till I get my winch then look for a Atv specific winch kit.

I asked him if he thought I did anything wrong, I felt bad about it, but we did what had to be done. He said it was a hard pull but that's what it took to get it out.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I'm thinking that an ATV specific recovery strap would be better. a 20-30K pound full-size strap would, IMO, stretch very little on 500+ pound rig.
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Good point.

Already got my winch picked out. Think I'm gonna splurge and get it this week, as long as my refund shows up. Getting synthetic cable this time.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

fallvitals wrote:.........Getting synthetic cable this time.
I know it doesn't look as cool but, try to pick up a cover if, available for the winch and rope. UV rays are bad ju ju for synthetic rope and the elements can be bad for the winch. My club has almost left me rubbing 2 sticks together to light up a smoke after they've thawed shackles and hooks with my lighters. :roflmao:
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

U rays shouldn't be an issue as it's garage kept. But it does come with a winch cover. I didn't knowing it did. I got one as a special with my smittybilt on my crew, but I can't use it.

I already getting the mod bug, I hope it ends soon. Lol. Looking at a clutch mod. Several ways to do it. Looks like the most expensive option is to send two pieces fm your tranny to a guy to machine to get 23% more low end. And the other will restore the top end you probably will loose. Which top end isn't a big deal to me, but if got gonna do it... It's mainly to help with larger heavier tires. But it can also help take wear and tear off the wet clutch, the most expensive hard o repair item on the quad.