Non-CC Spool Locker

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Non-CC Spool Locker

Post by green02crew »

This is for those especially with ATV experience. I plow my driveway with mine. Its an '01 Honda Foreman 450. I'm looking to better the ability of this already capable rig. Any thoughts on running a spool locker up front on it? I already upgraded to a larger tire, ITP Mudlite 26" and want/need better traction still.

What I'm looking for is:
Good idea or bad idea?
Will it help in snow?
Any extra wear on parts that may come from it?

It is RARELY driven on pavement. And by that I mean hardly even crosses roads. Strictly dirt roads, sand, mud, grass, snow.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Non-CC Spool Locker

Post by HenryJ »

How much more do you need? I say leave it alone.

Here's Fred's story: Hell's Revenge ATV accident

He is a member of a couple of other forums that I frequent. Be careful out there.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

That is a sad story. I'm hoping to not do anything bad. Its a utility purpose rig and for weekend fun.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

That is a very real possible "end result" of any off road experience. Everyone needs to wheel with experienced "off road" brethren! You need to research and be prepared for anything.

It is not about taking a mildly modified CC (or any rig) and trying to capture "air time" to get some cool vids!

I have wheeled your rigs since '69 (tax payers). I have seen some serious accidents from people just screwing around and it was decades before "youtube".

We now have some macho high school members in our fold. Please research recovery techniques and join a responsible club in your area. If, alcohol is not mentioned as a disqualification offense then, look elsewhere, please.

I know that particular obstacle, where the guy flipped on. It's not even friendly to built full sized rigs, let alone an ATV. All we are doing is giving the "closure fanatics" ammunition with these situations.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Having just bought my first atv, thats a pretty crazy video. Its all about being safe and minimizing accident chances. I mean, we cant live under a rock out whole lives, but we cant let stupidty or a video camera cut it short either.

As for mods im not sure... i don't know nothing about your foreman. As soon as I get off here, im gonna go check the valves on my 2010 700 grizzly, install my 3,000# viper winch, and sometime next week re-install my modded clutch sheave (for 23% more low end). And i figure that will be all the "power mods" I do, that clutch.

Just be safe on it. That said theres a few fellers here that like the two wheel drive variety. Which I think can be far more dangerous then an atv. But again, 99% of the time the danger happens at your own hand.
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

I understand risks riding. There are risks doing lots of things. I was just looking for ideas on a spool locker to see if it would help when plowing and the occasional trip offroad. I asked in another forum and have yet to receive an answer, they aren't nearly as friendly. Currently it just doesn't seem to have the traction necessary. Not sure if its a weight issue? It is a very light atv. I already have bags of sand on the racks.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

I'm not are if I can give any advice, but what kinda equipment does yours have? Mines front and rear independent suspension, 4wd with diff lock. I think that's about the jist of the area we are talking about. The few times I used diff lock, probably in all reality didn't need it, it was a monster! Pulled me right out!

But first thing I'd say is get the tires and see where ya stand. I'm gonna get some 27 or 28 zillas. (they run a inch short is it's really 26 or 27"). Thru are very light. Lightest out there. Similar thread. Just very soft, you can't run em on asphalt, or rocky environments, or they wont last. For my riding style I read they will br perfect.
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

I posted my specs in another thread. Its solid locked rear axle, independent open diff front, 26" ITP MudLites, 450cc.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
JaVeRo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by JaVeRo »

Just curious,

Have you tried tire chains? I would think chains would be a better improvement than a spool up front.

The spool in front may change your handling. Once you get used to it, there shouldn't be a problem as long as YOU are on it.

Personally I wouldn't, I would rather my rear diff was selectable instead of locked. But thats coming from someone that has never used a snow plow. I saw one once:)
2001 S10 Crew (wife's mail truck)
2002 S10 Crew, 2003 S10 Blazer
2006 K2500 5 speed
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Tire chains are on my radar as well. Once a decent deal in the right size pops up.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Well I ordered the tire chains. But this is a new issue....
Same front differential that I was asking about earlier, here's what happened to it over the winter:
0503111115a.jpg
0503111115b.jpg
0503111116a.jpg
This 3rd picture really shows the issue.

Any thoughts here? I've asked around on an atv forum but nobody has made a suggestion yet.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Looks like you need a good used replacement, or pull it out, disassemble and take it to the welding shop to weld it all back together. The should be able to add some weld to it and beef it up a bit.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

I was hoping for a good weld if it is an okay location for them to do so. It is broken off in 2 of the 3 mounting spots. It is also aluminum. That will make repairs difficult if not impossible.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab