Washout on the WRT

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Washout on the WRT

Post by F9K9 »

It's near the exit. Does your expedition crowd know of this, Brule?

[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Washout on the WRT

Post by HenryJ »

Yes. Old news though. They are nearly done with the repairs now. Three rigs were left in the bottom and only recently recovered.

White Rim Trail washout closes Mineral Bottom switchbacks August 23, 2010

Mountain bikers and four-wheel-drive enthusiasts with permits to ride the White Rim Trail will have to change their plans after a huge storm caused severe damage to the switchbacks at Mineral Bottom. The storm hit Canyonlands National Park on Friday, August 20, dropping enough heavy rain to create a flood that cut out a giant swath through the road that allows access to the White Rim Trail and the put-in/take-out for boats at Mineral Bottom.

According to park officials, the White Rim Trail and Shafer Switchbacks are undamaged and will remain open. But Mineral Bottom will probably be closed for several weeks for major road repair.

This will put a damper on plans for mountain bikers on the White Rim who rely on the switchbacks to return to their vehicles after completing the 100-mile long loop, and boaters who use Mineral Bottom as a take out and put in for rafts and kayaks.

For more information, contact the National Park Service at Canyonlands.
Todays news: White Rim Road Now Open

The newly repaired Mineral Switchbacks.

Subscribe RSS Icon | What is RSS
Date: March 29, 2011

The Mineral Bottom road is now open and passable, making a full White Rim loop possible for the first time since last August. The Canyonlands reservation office is now accepting permit applications for White Rim trips through the end of 2011.

CURRENT CONDITIONS

Road work along the White Rim Road will continue for many weeks. Visitors may experience short delays.

HISTORY

On August 19th, 2010, severe storms caused flash flooding and rock falls that blocked or washed away roads throughout the Canyonlands area. One of the more dramatic washouts occurred on the Mineral Bottom Road switchbacks (see photos at the bottom of the page), where significant portions of the road were obliterated. This damage caused the closure of the road, affecting anyone attempting to travel the White Rim Road in a loop or planning river trips that launch or take-out at Mineral Bottom.

Planning a visit to the backcountrountry

If you are planning a trip to the park that involves backcountry travel by vehicle, please contact district visitor centers for the most up-to-date conditions

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

With my limited time on the web, I thought I might throw it out there. Sorry for the old news.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I did a quick edit to show the newly repaired road.
Thanks for the heads up :)

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK