General Sheet Metal Cuting Question

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I'm posting this up here because I have learned a bunch of good info through this section of the forum. I've made home repairs that would have cost me, literally, thousands of dollars. I've had Brule and other members walk me through such things as replacing circuit breakers to repairing major Friday night water line breaks. Outside of working as an "installer" at a Sears auto center, in the early 70s, I was clueless before I posted up in this section.

That being said, I have done a lot of new things and learned to use a lot of new tools, since I joined the forum. I'm about to perform a new mod on my "heep" but, it can apply to CCs or any other rig.

I will be installing these hood vents shortly.

Instructions are pretty straight forward. Tape it off, outline the vents on your hood, measure 1/2 inch inside the outline and cut away. Problem is, I don't know what to use to "cut away". I have "air" but, no cut off tool. I have read where a simple "jigsaw" will work. I also have a dremel tool and a sawzall.

Suggestions. please!
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
blaz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: General Sheet Metal Cuting Question

Post by blaz »

Sawsall is too big IMO. I have used cut off wheels with good success but without lots of practice you will slip and possibly damage the hood. My recomendation would be a jigsaw. It will be slow but it is the easiest tool of the lot to use.

Tips;

-Don't try to drill your pilot holes too close to the line (you can trim with the saw)
-Use a finer tooth metal blade
-medium stroke speed (don't want too much heat)
-double tape (at least)
-make sure that there is nothing under your saw blade that shouldn't be cut (hoses, wire, etc.)
-when you get tired take a break

Have fun and good luck! :thumb:
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

All of those tools will work for cutting sheet metal, however an air powered cut off tool will work the best. A sawzall and a jigsaw will basically work the same and fine tooth blades should be used for a cleaner cut, plus you need to make a starter hole for the blade. The Dremel will work, but it will take a lot longer than the other options.

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Good advice. Don't use anything that will create heat. The Dremmel and cut off wheels are out. They will burn the paint and might even warp the edge. More work. :!:

Use a jigsaw with a Bi-metal blade ,fine (high tooth count per inch) I like the white bi-metal Milwaukee blades that Home depot carries here. I find a jigsaw to have better control than the air powered panel cutters. If you are hacking out a body panel , the air powered saw is sweet. This is going to require a bit more delicate hand.

Match the radius of the corners to the drill. I use a 1/2" bit on the tight corners and varying sizes of hole saws on the wider radius.

The jigsaw will not cut a 90 degree turn under a one inch radius very well. It looks to me like one size hole saw would drill all the corners. Then cut out between.
If you need to clean up a hole, or clean up an edge, a steady hand and a carbide bit on an air powered die grinder works the best. You can use a small block of wood to firm up an edge and file it if you need to clean up a straight line.

If you are going to make the cuts with the hood on the heap, cover the engine with an old blanket to catch all the metal. Use wood to block it up for clearance if needed.

Remember: "The difference between an amateur and a professional is how they hide their mistakes."

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Thanks for all of the great advice! I was leaning towards a jigsaw before posting up but, now, I'm convinced that it is the route to take. I'll me doing it with the hood on the heep but, will probably deflate or remove the front tires to avoid working on a foot stool.

I'll let you know how it turns out. :thumb:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
saab9k
Crew
Crew

Post by saab9k »

I have used a plasma cutter ti cut rear panel sections of, only burnt paint a 1/4 inch from cut.

It was one using argon. The one i have now is compressed air, it creates more heat, will cut thicker metal too, up to 3/4" .
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

saab9k wrote:I have used a plasma cutter.........
Not exactly in my arsenal but, I do appreciate the suggestion.

Here is a pretty good write up from a guy that has a site for his TJ write ups. Stu Olson has become a friend online but, I wasn't keen on his "air nibbler" process.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

An air nibbler can do a nice job. It is sort of like a wide jigsaw that will sort of move sideways, if that make any sense. I have one but would not use it to try to cut a nice straight line. At least not without a guide. It is nice as it does not distort or heat the sheetmetal. Trimming nice sharp corners and "unique" shapes is an option. Shears are another nice sheetmetal tool. Image I have put more time on an electric set than the air shears. Those are very nice for cutting straight lines and gentle curves. I would add them to the tool chest well before a nibbler. The hand shears in right hand, left hand, straight and even a couple pair set at 120 degree for flat work are tops on the list. Add to that a hole punch. Then some Clecos.
I have gathered a pretty good selection of sheetmetal working tools. Building the HenryJ and an AM General motorhome I put some miles on them. Someday I will have a shop with a louver press and an 8' English wheel. I saw my dream shop north of here in Weiser. The guy hand formed fenders for a 1929 Pierce Arrow limousine (bullet proofed). An amazing piece of work.
I think that sort of thing would make a neat retirement project. I think mine will be a low radar signature 200+ mph custom though :mg:

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

All cool tools, as usual, Brule! :lol: I'm still happy with my sawzall purchase that you talked me into years ago. I recently had a couple welded nuts inside the heep's boxed frame horn end's break loose on me while trying to remove the winch plate. I was trying to get the bumper off for a Currie Antirock® Sway Bar install.

Not my heep. Just a pic that I googled to show the situation.

I didn't think that I had a prayer in pulling it off but, a pry-bar and the sawzall saved my bacon cutting through two Grade 8 bolts. BTW, I had the contractors install a 220v outlet with thoughts down the road. :idea:
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Well, I went with jigsaw for this particular project. The hood wasn't in the best of shape when I bought the heep. It had several waves in the sheet metal so, I was a little handicapped in making it look pretty, from the git-go. The upside to that is, you are not nearly as worried about screwing things up. :roflmao:

Brule, the instructions recommend using a minimum 3/8" drill bit for the corners, OR a 2 1/2" hole saw.....WTF? It also recommended a "helper". I recruited one but he wasn't much help.

I tried the 1" hole saw on the corners but, I must have had the wrong type because it just created havoc. I switched to a 3/8" drill bit and things went smoother. From there I used a jig saw and a dremel to smooth up the cuts.

The wavy hood presented issues using aluminum pop rivets. I saw where someone used SS button head screws and nylocs on the install that they did. In hindsight, I should have planned for that method but, I was already commited and none were readily found on a weekend here.

Outside of placing one vent backwards and managing to destroy a six month old upper radiator hose, it went pretty smoothly. :roflmao:

Notice these vents facing forward. It directly over my PDC and battery. :lol:

blaz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by blaz »

Looks good. See, it is not so tough when you have input from others. :lol: This is what I love about this forum!
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

blaz wrote:Looks good. See, it is not so tough when you have input from others. :lol: This is what I love about this forum!
Thanks! Yeah, this forum has helped me with everything from underground weekend waterline breaks to replacing breakers on an outside "hot" electrical junction box. It's my very first forum and one of about 3 that check in on regular basis.
border man
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by border man »

Reed, a lot of those ripples on your hood can be fixed with a blow dryer and a can of compressed air (the stuff used to blow dust off of computer components). As long as there are no creases in them, the metal can be shrunk thus taking out the ripples. Youtube it for pretty good videos.
[size=75]I didn't do it, it was already like that when I got it.[/size]
border man
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by border man »

Is that the new man-cave? Three Car??? :rock:

EDIT: Just looked at the other pic with the crew in it, looks like a double car only :oops:
[size=75]I didn't do it, it was already like that when I got it.[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

border man wrote:.....Is that the new man-cave? Three Car??? :rock: ............
Just a two car man-cave but, might as well be a 40,000 sq ft garage to me. :thumb: Heck, I ordered a creeper as they poured concrete! :lol: Plain tickled not being out in the elements and fighting gravel and uneven surfaces.

Not only did the gravel devour "dealer only" parts dropped on weekends but, they kept me on my toes at times like.............

but, I awoke one morning to find this.

I had the Rubicon up on 4 jack stands with both drive shafts yanked. I was chasing driveline vibes. Common issue with anything lifted and Anita parked about 5-8' behind it. We had some wind that night and the Rubi came off the stands. How it gained enough momentum to cause $2,400 in damage to her GC, I'll never know. I learned to religiously set the parking brake afterwards. :roflmao:
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Ya Reed I'd keep an eye on that "helper" too. He's got feathers so might be a distant "duck" cousin! lol
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

roadrunner wrote:Ya Reed I'd keep an eye on that "helper" too. He's got feathers so might be a distant "duck" cousin! lol
Great point! Was the gray terror siting on the heep when it "accidentally" rolled into the GC?
Perhaps conspiring with its web footed cousins? Watch that one closely :eyes:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Hmmmmmm, you guys may have a point.....lol

Sent from my iPhone
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

border man wrote:Reed, a lot of those ripples on your hood can be fixed with a blow dryer and a can of compressed air (the stuff used to blow dust off of computer components).........
I completely missed this post, Bro. I'm familiar with the process. I've also seen ice water, on hot days, used to help with hail damage.

What is really interesting, is my apparent failure to rid myself of those pesky ducks. This thread has already went astray so, we might as well go off on a tangent.

The topic of the new garage/"man-cave" has already come up. I had planned and saved for the project for a long time. Finally pulled the trigger on the garage and the day that it was completed, I went to inspect the electrical hook ups in the breaker box. Found an original "double throw" 30 amp breaker tripped. I really couldn't identify it so, I reset it. Bottom line, is that my heat pump decided to take a dump on the exact day that I made my final payment for the garage. Did my research and it looks like I'll be having a required $3,400 "house mod" done next week.

Ain't life grand?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

F9K9 wrote:... I'll be having a required $3,400 "house mod" done next week.

Ain't life grand?
Closer to four ...grand. ;)

- ThunderII KE7CSK
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Sorry to hear that but I still think perhaps 007 in gray might have led em in for the attack!
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

roadrunner wrote:Sorry to hear that but I still think perhaps 007 in gray might have led em in for the attack!
Nah, he's actually a pretty cool guy. He was always pretty cool but, he just keeps amazing us. Wife version 4.0 has him dancing to country western music and it is a requirement that he has the television on CAG when left alone. Recently has picked up "snapping" finger sounds when he dances. He still torments the German Shepard by giving her commands in German and asking her if, she wants to go outside.

The ducks are just my personal "Albatross" in life! Making up for all those times that I shouldn't have been able to walk away, unscathed in a bad situation. :roflmao:
rlrnr53
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by rlrnr53 »

Reed, I'd be happy to be able to get a vehicle in my garage. I have a couple of honey do's stored there. Either I have the time and no green to finish the projects, or have the money, but no time.
[size=75]Mitch
2001 Polo Green Metallic, no mods,(can't afford any)[/size]
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

If that's the case I'm sure most of the rest of us probably have a flock or two dogging us as well. Guess that's why your moniker is F9K9 instead of the lone ranger and yeah I know the real reason it is what it is.
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Don't feel alone on that one rlnr. That's how it works for most of the rest of us too. Got green got no time. Got no green got lots of time.
rlrnr53
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by rlrnr53 »

One of my biggest problems is where to put my tool box when I retire. I have a large Snap On box and top along with a smaller Homak roll cab and another Snap On top box that I have to get in besides an older Craftsman top and bottom box. Right now, all I can do is to squeeze by everything else in the garage part of my basement, which like the garage is stuffed with a little of everything.
[size=75]Mitch
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

rlrnr53 wrote:Reed, I'd be happy to be able to get a vehicle in my garage............
I appreciate your situation. I was okay with a simple outbuilding when I moved here in '94. I was a carefree bachelor, until 'late '01, and wife version 3.0 had a lot of "stuff" that was useless IMO. A much bigger storage building was needed shortly afterward and was purchased. Then a friggin' commercial rental storage unit was needed and I just paid the last payment on that puppy, per settlement agreement. last month.
rlrnr53 wrote:One of my biggest problems is where to put my tool box when I retire. I have a large Snap On box and top along with a smaller Homak roll cab and another Snap On top box that I have to get in besides an older Craftsman top and bottom box. Right now, all I can do is to squeeze by everything else in the garage part of my basement, which like the garage is stuffed with a little of everything.
Whatever you do, throw out everything else and keep those tool boxes. I've recently received a 40" wide Craftsman tool combo and it is junk. $500 hundred off but, junk none the less. Snap-On is the way to go. I remember the local Snap-on guy stopping by at the Sears auto center where I worked at, while in college. Metric tools were low on the sears craftsman radar then. They allowed me to get the tools and make weekly payments. Nowadays the prices are outrageous. I think I paid $20+ for a single small torx socket last year.

Sorry for the rant but, I just experienced ANOTHER episode of tire installers throwing 300 psi impact guns to installs that are speced 100 ft lbs. I broke a 1/2" drive socket and a 1/2-3/8" adapter. Local NAPA was closed and my local Sears store wants to sell TVs instead of tools. I was going to install new front calipers on the heep but, my goal suddenly went to getting the lug nuts speced out to 100 lbs, in case of, a flat tire or broken axle scenario.

For $1,300 for four tires, I would expect a little more than this hassle. When I returned from buying two of every thing that I broke, I decided that the life time free tire rotation, wasn't happening on my watch again.
rlrnr53
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by rlrnr53 »

I usually have the local Wallyworld do my tire rotation, I try to be in the garage whin I know that they are doing work on my vehicle, they seem to be a little more careful if they know you are watching. Here they use torque sticks and torque the wheels twice with a torque wrench. On that note I'd like to know what happened to my new 1/2" drive torque wrench that wasn't a year old yet.
[size=75]Mitch
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Wallyworld has learned a few valuable lessens, as of late. I took the wife's Cherokee in for a battery issue and had them service it, as well. Whether they actually checked everything, I don't know. They did throw paint on the diff fill plugs and several other places.

Speaking of your 1/2" drive torque wrench, it probably went the way of my fine tooth 1/2" Craftsman ratchet, that was involved in that copyright fight, in the early seventies. I can't believe that it was lost in gravel but, it's gone and I can't find anything that comes close to it's performance regardless of price.
rlrnr53
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by rlrnr53 »

If you can find qa Mac tool truck, they have an 88 tooth ratchet that is very nice. It's a little pricey, but IMO it's well worth the $$
[size=75]Mitch
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I have seen one locally. Will see what I can do. Thanks for the tip.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:How long before you do some more cutting? Highline fender mod....
You "terd"! :lol: It's been on my list for quite some time and I quit worrying about my front fenders on the trails but, all I have managed to do is break side marker lights instead of crumbling a fender. The DIY method, like you linked, may have to be the way to go but, I can wish for mod money and just go with the MetalCloak route and get shorter coil springs. Low COG is the route to go. The Metalcloaks are bolt in and include the inner fender.

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Tube fenders are a good idea if you have given up on street driving it. Around here I'd worry about rock damage from the front tires throwing gravel. That high fender mod keeps them covered a little.
No lack of future mods when you have a Heep to throw money at. :)

- ThunderII KE7CSK
rlrnr53
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by rlrnr53 »

Reed, it took three of us, a come-a-long and two or three ratchet straps to get both my work tool boxes in the garage. Started consoladiting my tools, and didn't realize I had so many tools, but as the old saying goes, You can never have too many tools!
[size=75]Mitch
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:Tube fenders are a good idea if you have given up on street driving it. Around here I'd worry about rock damage from the front tires throwing gravel. That high fender mod keeps them covered a little.........
You're one hundred per cent correct on the tire coverage and if, you have the money there's 4" and 6" flares for those puppies but, the DIY Hi-line mod is really the way to go.

I'll never give up on street driving either rig and rock damage is not exactly a major worry of mine if, you hadn't noticed.

rlrnr53 wrote:.........didn't realize I had so many tools, but as the old saying goes, You can never have too many tools!
Run across any duplicates? I had a couple convicted felons as step sons and blamed some missing tools on them. Once I got everything under one roof, I could only blame about four missing tools on them. I have duplicates in pop rivet guns, circular saws, belt sanders, jig saws, sockets and ratcheting wrenches now. :roflmao:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

To the theme song soundtrack of "GhostBusters"..."I ain't afraid of no rock!" :lol:
I know you have been up close and personal to rocks! Tube fenders would survive longer in that picture for sure.

I wish I could blame my missing tools and messy shop on someone :evil:

- ThunderII KE7CSK